Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:49 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Black bear mauls two men in National Park!

It was Rocky Mountain National Park and they were sleeping in their tent. All proper food storage rules were taken. No attacks there since 1971 when there was a death reported. The two men hollered and screamed and the bear fled during this weekend's attack.
The men had puncture wounds and required stitches. They were in separate tents and there was a shutdown of the park searching for the BEAR!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Aphephilia,

What is the point of these posts? There is nothing wrong with posting some topics to see if someone is intrested. If you want to discuss your paintball or hoover issue start your own threads for those and see if anyone replies.

If a topic doesn't interest you ignore it.

Just seems kind of rude in my opinion.

Kerry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:18 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I am also now wondering if there have been bear attacks in Tomahawk/Lincoln County etc. in the past? Anyone know? I just read about a doe attacking a dog about a month ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Reminds me of a few years back and the incident that took place in Angeles Park just outside Los Angeles. A woman took her young daughter out into the mountains jogging and ran away form the kid because she wanted to get her workout in and the kid was too slow. The kid got attacked and killed by a mountain lion. Of course the fact that there were signs all over the **** place warning people of recent lion attacks didn’t stop them from organizing a hunting party to hunt down and kill the lion. Me? I wanted to leave the lion alone and hunt down and shoot the mother. I was really happy when they failed to find the cat. The lion was a lot smarter then the mother. After my blood stopped boiling my wife pointed out that the mother will suffer a much greater punishment then death as she tries to live with her stupidity.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:09 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I have never been attacked by a bear, but in my younger days when I used to Snowmobile I did get chased by a couple of Snow Snakes !!
:D :D :D

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:35 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
I think it's time to at least double the available bear harvest permits, especially around the population centers, and get those bear numbers back down to a more manageable level. They are getting more bold and it's probably only a matter of time until we have a mauling to deal with.
Sorry I missed you yesterday Old Scout. I'm off next Friday if you want to stop in again. I'll give you the nickel tour ;)

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:26 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Aphephilia...quit being a tree hugger....God put us on this earth to be stewarts of the land and manage flesh bearing animals in the ways of the DNR. We're not doing this to kill animals, but to feed our families and keep the resource stong and not overpopulated. It seems as though some people do not understand that generations ago, this was an important way of life for survival and unless you're willing for people and other animals to be hurt and/or killed, we the people have to manage all animal species. Some people would like everything to return back to its natural state, unfortunately, that would be a huge step to where predator populations would be out of control and people would end up getting hurt or killed due to the predator maulings...so, get over it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:16 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Hey Scout,
What's the orgin of your "signature"? Is that original? Or are you quoting another source?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 11:24 pm 
General User
General User

Of course the biblical terms "subdue" and "dominion" are not synonyms for destroy and manage. Rather than kill every thing else under the false guise of management and feeding families it would be far wiser to ensure that the human numbers are not overpopulated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 5:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS! BEAR PROBLEMS! We don`t have a Bear problem around here..........
Do you know why???
This is PACKER Country!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Hey Ken! How's the fishing?

Don't you mean the chicago bears PRESENTED BY BANK ONE??

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:38 pm 
General User
General User

And don't forget the religious wars aphephilia. for example the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre ( http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/S/StB1artho.asp ). These killed known fully developed people, not just fertilized eggs, zygotes, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I would much rather control the human population then the animals. All the ways stated before this post are aparently not enough, the human population keeps on rising. People get mad when a Wolf kills a dog that PEOPLE have trained to invade its home. If a pack of people came into my home and I thought they were going to harm my family, by human law I can protect them with deadly force. I am a tree hugger and very proud of it!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:11 am 
General User
General User

Better a tree hugger than a tree hater.

Here's a good site human population issues:
http://populationconnection.com/

<small>[ July 21, 2003, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Zeus ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Isn't that what is wonderful about America, Everyone can have and share their opions. Just becauser I believe the Human race should be controlled, it is someones beleif that I should put a gun to my head. Considering the bible thumpping context of some of these posts I think that suggestion is very funny. Most of the problems of the Earth have been brought on by the human race. I say limit population, but who then desides how? The ones who believe in humans are superior but advocate suicide?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:45 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Was hoping to learn more about bear attack reports and if there had been any bear attacks on humans in our county and area in the past. We keep hearing about mountain lion/cougar's appearing in our north woods also, but some deny they are here? Has anyone out there actually seen the cougar's? If someone gets a picture, it is usually a blurred one and can't quite make it out as to being really a cougar? Some say the DNR is denying they are around our area, but there have even been reports of babies seen on early morning days passing to and from work? Anyone know more about bear, cougars etc? Let us know on the boards. Thanks! Also, elk, moose, fischers, etc.Wildlife is fun to view..anyone that thinks people just bait to kill are in the dark so to speak..it isn't all about killing animals to feed them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

aphephila, Exactly where in my post did you read I was for killing off the humane race? :roll: I am for controlling! I had one child. Two parents, one child. Is that enough of a stand for you? I may be black and white but at least I'm consistant.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

No, I do not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, I ran across that quote some time back and saved it because it seemed to hit the nail on the head as far as life was concerned. I can't recall where I found it and there was no name on it. :)

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:18 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you had better go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

-Q (John de Lancie)

from the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode

"Q Who?"

written by Maurice Hurley

:cool:

<small>[ July 21, 2003, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:54 pm 
General User
General User

Nowhere did I advocate control or killing. Population stabilization can be acheived with voluntary family planning. The earths human population will double in 95 years and that of the U.S. in about 45 years.

The myth of more forests now than prior to human impact is just that, a myth. Limbaugh, the CATO institute, Julian Simon, etc. have all promoted this line. At one time that area was covered with old growth forests and trees and forests with intact biodiverse systems. The myth makers have changed the definition of forest to meet their propaganda needs. Now the original systems are gone and replaced by mono culture aspen and similar young growth catering to the industry puppeteers.

A crop of trees does not a forest make.

Aphephilia, you seem to be going through some sort of crisis. Have you been captured by a religious cult?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thanks Brian, I have had that save for a long time and had no clue where it came from. I just saved it because I like what it said. :)

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

WOW! We must live in differnt worlds. I see more and more people in the area where I live everyday. There seems to be homes in every farmers feild I see. I was forunate enough to be born in America. I choose to stay in America. I believe the Earth would last longer with out us humans on it. We do tend to think we know better then nature.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 1:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Numbers seem to be the thing. How much (What percent?) of the earth actually is conduesive to human habitation?