Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for an Obituary
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:46 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Vacationer
Spambot: No
I've been trying to find death notices or obituaries for Ida Peters ( d. 10 Oct 1927 in Tomahawk). She was the wife of John Peters who died 8 Dec 1928 in an auto accident. Is there a way someone could help me in this search? I live in Central Michigan, and a trip to Tomahawk is out of the question at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Robert C. Snyder, Midland, Michigan. (rcsnyder2 AT earthlink DOT net).

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:22 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
Just my opinion, but I don't think they kept that kind of records 86 years ago, in a small town, that would be open to the public for searching. The newspaper records were long before micro film and such, so I do not think you will find anything from then in this day and age. I think your only recourse is to hire an archivist who will take the time and try and go back that far in county records, but those things if you are lucky will all be in storage, and probably not allowed to be looked at, as so old, and "if" they found something, and were not destroyed by fire, water, mildew or just lost in moving processes. Could take months if not years to find those records, and something would be expensive to research.
Maybe try ancestry.com? Not sure what you are looking for, as probably everyone involved in that accident is deceased by now.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:23 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The Tomahawk Leader has an archive of all the old newspapers from back to day 1. They will let you come into the office and search them for the information you are looking for. I was doing some research on WWI a couple of years back and found all of the papers from 1917 and 1918. I am sure you would find what you are looking for.

Also you can go to the Lincoln Co. court house and search the death records for information. I have done that several times while working on my family history. They have all the birth, marriage and death records for the county from back in the late 1800's.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

My sincere thanks to those who have responded to my genealogical query on the Peters family. It was good to learn that the LEADER has archives that go back before 1920... that is helpful. Most vital records for the region go back to about 1880, but none are posted on-line, and I am unable to travel to Lincoln County to do that research in person. I will contact the LEADER to see if their archivist can be of assistance. Again, thank you. Your in-put has been helpful.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
I can do this for you if no one else has offered.

Renee, you haven't done any historical research based ln your reply.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:28 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980
My extent on research goes back to bank, mortgage-property and school records, and very difficult not even so many years back. That is good you have the time to help this man, because I think you will need a lot of time. Keep us updated on the hours logged in to see what you can pull up. Just curious on how accurate the records are from back then. As far as I know, even birth certificates were sketchy because some people born at home on the farm, and did not register the kids until they had to go to school. I believe his woman was a Native American, so that maybe a whole new set of records to find what they did on the reservations as far as documentation. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:54 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
There are three locations that may have this information.

1. Tomahawk Leader - I don't remember how far back the books at the office go but they do maintain a single copy of each newspaper in binders going back quite a few years.

2. Tomahawk Public Library - At least in the past the library also maintained copies of the paper. Again, I'm not sure how far back these go.

3. Wisconsin Historical Society - Based out of Madison. I know we've been able to look back quite a ways in this case.

I'd suggest emailing the Leader directly or taking NurseNell up on her offer. The Leader would probably quickly be able to tell you exactly how far back their records go or point you to the best location to search.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

WOW!! Y'all have been really helpful. The LEADER is sending me a copy of the obituary/death notice for John Peters. She apparently could find nothing on Ida. I'm going to hold off on putting others to work until I get that Obit. She contacted me either Thursday or Friday and I assume she put it in the mail then. Hopefully, I'll have it today and I can make a decision.

NurseNell: Thank you so much for your offer. I think the item I'm really going to want will be the actual death record for Ida Peters, 10 Oct 1927, ostensibly in Tomahawk. It's her family I'm trying to nail down. She's my brother-in-law's grandmother, and he has ZIP information about her. We know she was born in North Dakota, but we're not even sure of her maiden name. John Peters was her second husband, the first having the surname DOBSON... and at that time she lived in the Chicago area. Her maiden name may have been BOWMAN.

Again, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this inquiry. I hope I'll have the opportunity to do the same act of kindness for others here in my community.

Bob Snyder -- Midland, Michigan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Glad to read that one obit is on its way to you, Bob. I was planning to go today after bowling but won't now. Let me know if and when you need any research done here locally. If you have any ancestors buried here I can take a photo of their grave. I volunteer with findagrave.com

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:58 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

NurseNell:

If you are still willing to do a search for me, I'd be really pleased if you could find a record for the death of Ida Peters in 1927. If you get to find-a-grave, I've posted both John and Ida there at Greenwood cemetery. I learned from Kreger funeral home that both are buried there, and I've created memorials for them. THE LEADER sent me a copy of the news article regarding John's death in an auto accident in 1928.

Anything you might find on these two would be really helpful.

Thank you again for your offer.

Bob