Nursing Homes experiences

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

Nursing Homes experiences

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:26 pm

The Aug. 5, 2014, Tomahawk Leader has a story about the 21 federal deficiencies reported at Golden LivingCenter-Golden Age, Tomahawk. There's a link to those findings on the front page at www.tomahawkleader.com.

The topic of nursing homes can bring up strong emotions for some, including someone who just contacted us about a bad experience at another facility. She believes poor pay is at the crux of the problem. What do you think?

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Re: Nursing Homes experiences

Postby Renee class of '80 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:06 pm

I think it is the lack of outside monitoring from the general public. I have been in good and bad nursing homes over the years. The "good ones" get a lot of guests, visitors, family members, people who visit their loved ones, fresh air, gardens, music even a cat or 2 roaming the halls. There is no urine smell, there are activities for the older people, always something going on, a nice restaurant they dine if they chose to, arts and crafts, senior exercise, even poker games. If no one visits their loved ones, the elderly are treated with no respect, how do we expect the nursing staff to care? There is no monitoring or accountability here. It has been at least 30 years since I went to Golden Age, and the smell upon entering made you sick back then. It seems like nothing has changed and the family's are not protesting and accepting the fact. I do not think extra pay will fix the situation, it is about caring and motivation and the love you care about these people, and the family's who need to step up and say something and report it. If your heart is not in the job, then do not work there. If you love your elders, do not put them in there. Extra pay could help, but if no one wants to "do the dirty work" it will never get done, and the few staffers who do care, will eventually move on to a place that other people also care. It has to be a team effort.
I do not see any change unless they shut the doors and start over. Too many years and the same thing over and over again.

jennk612
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: Raised here

Postby jennk612 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:09 pm

I also recall the overpowering smell of urine when visiting Golden Age at a very young age 20+ years ago. I was naive then and I just thought that was how nursing homes smelled. Obviously, I am now older and wiser and I know better, it’s due to uncleanliness and neglect. Shame on the administration for allowing that facility to continue to operate a legacy of filth and squalid living conditions for at least 30+ years. There is No excuse for the findings reported. It's heart wrenching our elderly loved ones are living like this along with the extreme costs associated with such substandard care and accommodations. I would Never allow a loved one to reside there.

oldie83
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: hometown

Postby oldie83 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:29 pm

We read or hear about nursing homes being cited for shortcommings in care etc. We never hear about any punishment. How come? :?:

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Postby Renee class of '80 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 pm

http://www.seniorhomes.com/p/nursing-home-facilities/
I thought this was sort of humorous. I guess they never been to Golden Age!
In my opinion, I think the money taken in far outweighs any fines that have to be paid out, and also less than the cost of hiring people who care who deserve to earn more than minimum wage. Just pay the fines, and let it be. Maybe someone could be looking the other way as well. Inspection reports should be public record, just like a restaurant, one would think.
Logic doesn't always dictate common sense though.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”