What happened to Thank you

Forum for General Topics not covered by other areas.
Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

What happened to Thank you

Postby Old Scout » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:42 pm

When did "have a good day" replace "thank you" when you make a purchase at a business. I remember when I was young and worked in retail that you were instructed to say thank you to the customer when they made a purchase. Now I can count on one hand the places where I have been in the past year that the clerk says thank you. In most places where I shop the clerk hands you a bunch of change which you have to count yourself to be sure it is correct and says have a good day. A simple thank you from the clerk or business owner for shopping at their business would go a long way in improving customer relations with the public which is supporting their business.

I also remember when the clerk would count your change back to you so you could see that it was correct, but that is a thing of the past also. Now they just take it out of the till and hand it to you.

I guess common courtesy to the customer is a thing of the past.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Re: What happened to Thank you

Postby Renee class of '80 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:17 am

I have to disagree with you Old Scout. When I approach a line to check out, they say "hello, how are you doing today?" and then do the transaction and most of the time say "have a nice day" or whatever holiday it is. I see no need for them thanking me. It is sort of like people saying they are "sorry" all the time at customer service, or "love ya" to everyone... it's a nonsense term that lost it's meaning a long time ago. It's customary to be polite to the buyer, but saying thank you is a bit over the top unless perhaps dealing with the owner personally, at the barber shop, perhaps a mom and pop mechanic...but not for most big box places or fast food.
As for counting change, Walmart and other busy place clerks are already too slow, and for them to be counting change back for every person when my icecream is melting will hold up the line even more. Stand back if you like, count the change after your transaction and keep it moving. Counting the change back is almost as bad as the person not being ready to pay when their groceries have been all checked out, and then digging for their wallet after the fact, or worse yet, still writing checks. Can't they have it ready to go?
To me, I want to be thanked when I hold the door open for a person, go the extra mile that I didn't have to do out of politeness, but do not expect the check out person thanking me for ringing up my groceries. I should be thanking her.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:01 am

Living proof that the younger generation is no longer a polite society. Always in a hurry and don't have the time for common courtesy.

For those who were brought up to be polite to others and have some manners, Thank You is not out of style and hardly is considered a "nonsense term" it still means the same as it always did. Some people just forget that it is sometimes the right thing to do. :roll:

Whether it is the owner or an employee, they need to remember that there are other stores that I could shop at and saying thank you for shopping at their place of business and enabling them to keep their job shouldn't be too much to ask.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:37 am

I just want to say to both of you Thank You and Have a nice day.
Just posting something! It`s been so dead around here lately. Almost no posts in September! And that`s the month of the Fall Ride!
'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcfqDPAy7zc

Return to “General Discussion”