Harley layoffs

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Harley layoffs

Postby Old Scout » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:10 pm

After talking to some of the people that work at Harley-Davidson it makes me wonder where the greed and animosity toward the workers will end.

They use the excuse that sales are down but they are still shipping very close to the same number of parts. The management is doing it's best to browbeat the workers in hopes of being able to get rid of all the union members with seniority and be able to bring in casual workers (temps) at lower wages, no benefits and after a short time they are let go. If any union member objects they are disciplined and threatened with termination. Management has no consideration for workers rights and if they don't go along with the corp. policy they are terminated, It all boils down to greed as the upper management makes millions and they are doing it on the backs of those who do the actual work.

In a nut shell it boils down to breaking the union.

When concern is raised about the temps coming in and quality going down management says that they are not worried because they can live on their name and minor quality problems such as paint won't matter. Didn't they think that back when AMF owned Harley and almost put them out of business? I wonder if they will ever learn. The CEO or the plant manger are not the ones that make a company successful, it is the people out on the floor doing the actual work.

Harley used to be a good place to work but it has turned into a heII hole for the employees and I feel sorry for them. Reminds me of the stories I used to hear about how it was back in the early 1900's and the way employees were abused by big corporations. I wonder how long before the buildings are empty and the operation is moved or shut down. At the rate they are going it might not be as long as we might think.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Harley layoffs

Postby KEN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:44 am

It`s all part of the "Divide and Conquer" strategy.

Get rid of Unions is the first step in getting rid of the middle-class. More workers , working for less money, and no benefits.

Once the middle-class is gone, we will then be a two society state, and country. With only the rich and the poor. Divide and Conquer.
'
'If Harley would go under, or be sold to a company in China, the CEO`s and top brass would walk away with millions in their pockets.
And, the workers with nothing.
'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdBekEKSRXg

neup99
Contributor
Contributor

Postby neup99 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:11 pm

Remember that time unions saved Detroit from going under? Me neither.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 pm

I would also bet that you don't remember when a normal work week was 60 + hours with no insurance, no vacation and no other benefits. You could be fired for any little reason or no reason at all if the boss didn't happen to like you. That is what you had before the unions.

Now we have corporate greed, CEO's making millions and wanting to take away any rights the workers may have. Now they want to move everything out of the US so they can pay lower wages and make even more. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:15 am

Remember that time unions saved Detroit from going under?

:shock: :?:

There was a little more involved in Detroit`s decline.

Detroit was a one product town. The union wages helped make it a middle-class town. There were neighborhoods and towns with nice houses, with families, going to schools and churches, etc.
The unions had nothing to do with a huge influx of low priced foreign cars flooding the country, seemingly overnight. Back in the day everyone bought a Ford, Chevy or Chrysler. Generation after generation! Then it all came to halt. Car companies closed plants and laid off workers by the thousands. Families were shattered, incomes ceased , neighborhoods declined, spreading to complete cities and towns going under. What the unions helped build was rapidly gone. Auto companies started to move production to the south and Mexico. We no longer needed plants making 9-or 10 different Pontiac`s or Oldsmobile`s. In 1950, there were about 296,000 manufacturing jobs in Detroit. Today, there are less than 27,000.

But you want to compare Tomahawk to Detroit?

What if Harley-Davidson, Northland Steel, and the PCA Mill call closed at the same time, and moved down south or to Mexico.
Families would be shattered, incomes ceased , neighborhoods would declined, the town could start to go under just like Detroit.

neup99
Contributor
Contributor

Postby neup99 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Unions were absolutely needed at one time. That time has passed as they've become too powerful and just as heinous as any corporation.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:19 pm

According to your theory, you would like to see the corporations making millions and the workers who do the actual labor to create the product making peanuts with no rights other than show up and do the work for nothing more than whatever wage the corp. feels they want to give them.

The only difference between your idea of how it should be and slave labor is they get paid a pittance at the end of the week and hopefully it is enough to actually live on until the next payday.

When I was still working, I was not a diehard union member and I had my differences of opinion with the union on some issues but I realized that they were necessary or the company would have walked all over the employees and trampled their rights at will.

You really need to learn a bit more history of the labor movement and why it was necessary.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:45 am

neup99 wrote:Unions were absolutely needed at one time. That time has passed as they've become too powerful and just as heinous as any corporation.

That post is right out of the bizzaro world. Almost everying is actually just the opposite.

1st - Unions are needed now more then ever. Crooked politicians and greedy corporate CEO`s have a plan you get rid of Unions.
Back to the Divide and Conquer scheme. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmQG942NUI

2nd- They are not as powerful as you`d like to believe. Fifty years ago, nearly a third of U.S. workers belonged to a union. Today, it's one in 10.
'
Take a history lesson. Look what the wages and working conditions were before Unions. It was almost a two-class society back then.
Is that what you want? To have the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, with no middle-class in between?

The chief executive officers of America’s largest firms earn three times more than they did 20 years ago and at least 10 times more than 30 years ago, big gains even relative to other very-high-wage earners. These extraordinary pay increases have had spillover effects in pulling up the pay of other executives and managers, who constitute a larger group of workers than is commonly recognized. Consequently, the growth of CEO and executive compensation overall was a major factor driving the doubling of the income shares of the top 1 percent and top 0.1 percent of U.S. households from 1979 to 2007 .
Since then, income growth has remained unbalanced: as profits have reached record highs and the stock market has boomed, the wages of most workers, stagnant over the last dozen years, including during the prior recovery, have declined during this one.

'(AND, why were you posting this in the middle of a PACKER game?! LOL Although you didn`t miss anything! LOL)

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”