Spirit River Dam

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Spirit River Dam

Postby KEN » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:48 pm

Old Scout wrote:From the amount of equipment and supplies they are hauling in it must be a rather serious repair they are planning. Seems like I read that they plan on putting some kind of plate in on the water side. Perhaps MrBrowns can fill us in as I believe he is the one that wrote about it.

'
So , the plate is going to act as a "buffer" to prevent erosion? :?:

If so , why not put one on both ends of the dam. On each water side area? :wink:

And, maybe think of installing them at all dams in Tomahawk area? :roll:

I`m just thinking, whatever needs to be done, Now is the time to do it!

No point going through this 10 , 20 years down the road! :(

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Tue May 02, 2017 2:20 pm

WVIC gearing up for Spirit Dam repair project this summer
Area to be closed to public during dam work
By Jed Buelow
Tomahawk Leader Sports/Nature Editor
sports@tomahawkleader.com
Years after the Spirit Reservoir was drawn down three feet and then six feet to address structural safety concerns with the Spirit Dam, Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company is set to begin a major repair project that will get underway this spring.
Starting in May, WVIC and Staab Construction out of Marshfield will begin getting ready to install a number of 60-foot long steel sheet pilings that will be positioned along the upriver portion of the earthen dike making up the dam. Organizers are hoping to begin installing the pilings in early May and complete the project, referred to as Phase 1, sometime later this fall. Once complete, the steel pilings will run the length of the earthen dam with the goal of addressing a boil that was first discovered back in 2012.
Peter Hansen, WVIC V.P. of Operations, said repairs being made will hopefully address safety concerns that actually have lingered dating all the way back to 1941, when a portion of the earthen dike failed causing a major washout of the structure all the way down to the bedrock.
“The goal is to build a barrier to prevent water from moving through (the earthen portion) of the dam,” Hansen said. “We are hoping to have Phase 1 done by Thanksgiving, after which we can raise the reservoir three more feet.”
If the work can be completed on time and tests prove the new barrier is working as intended, the Spirit Reservoir could be held to just three feet below full heading into spring. Ever since 2013 the Spirit has been held to three feet below full due to safety concerns, and the past two winters was kept at least six feet below full after an additional concern regarding the dam was discovered.
“Most of the work for this first phase will be done on the top end. We are hoping this will address safety concerns that have existed since the failure.” Hansen stated in noting that at all times the dam area will need to be closed to the public as work takes place.
Along with completing Phase 1, WVIC is currently working with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to approve a Phase 2 plan that would address an erosion issue below the dam. If the plan is approved and work can take place next spring, the Spirit Reservoir could once again be raised to full once the second phase is complete.
Hansen added he expects the area below the Spirit Dam will be temporarily closed to the public in the coming weeks when work to repair the dam begins.
Gone Fishin'

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Wed May 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Lots of equipment around the parking lot and by the dam, but haven't seen any work getting done. Looks like they are just using the place as a parking lot. Haven't even seen any people around.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sat May 27, 2017 12:29 am

I can see why they figure on having the dam done by Thanksgiving. They bring in a piece of equipment and disappear for the rest of the week. As of today they have a lot of equipment and trailers parked around the lot and on the dam but I haven't seen anyone there doing anything that looks like they are actually starting any work.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:00 pm

Old Scout wrote:I can see why they figure on having the dam done by Thanksgiving. They bring in a piece of equipment and disappear for the rest of the week. As of today they have a lot of equipment and trailers parked around the lot and on the dam but I haven't seen anyone there doing anything that looks like they are actually starting any work.

'
Hmmmmm,........ Must be a Government Job. :shock:
'

If they`re not using the equipment, why don`t you and me take it down the road and clean up The Fulsher School area! :wink:

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 pm

Well, Summer is half over! :(

There must be some head way made on The Spirit Dam by now? :?

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

They are working on it now. Mon - Thurs, long days but 3 day weekend. Not sure what all they are doing but a lot of steel has been driven in behind the berm. they also built a road to reach the south side for their equipment.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Old Scout wrote:They are working on it now. Mon - Thurs, long days but 3 day weekend. Not sure what all they are doing but a lot of steel has been driven in behind the berm. they also built a road to reach the south side for their equipment.

OH, Good! :D

They`re installing the special Walleye / Northern Pike barriers! :)

When the Walleye and Northerns hit those steel barriers, they turn around and go back into the The Spirit. :shock:

There, they will grow to trophy sizes! :wink:

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 pm

If they`re not using the equipment, why don`t you and me take it down the road and clean up The Fulsher School area! :wink:

Where would we find all the big dumpsters to haul every thing away? The roof has fallen in and I would be a bit nervous to go inside. The best thing anyone could do would be to burn it and haul out the remains. I have no doubt that someone would be happy to have a nice lot like that.

If the right person had purchased the school there are so many things that could have been done with the building. :(

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Old Scout wrote: find all the big dumpsters to haul every thing away? The roof has fallen in and I would be a bit nervous to go inside.

'
There just has to be some town or county ordinance that is being violated with have that property in such disrepair!

If the building can`t be repaired, the area should be cleared and made into a park/playground/green space.

The bricks could be salvaged to make pathways, and timbers and wood for benches.

The Fulsher School stone could be saved for a marker showing what was at one time on that site.

At least then the former students and faculty would have a decent place to reflect on the good memories of the past.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Looking at the article in The Leader, it seems like the work to fix the Dam problem is more complicated then I thought. :oops:

Which might be a good thing.

The fix looks to be a more permanent fix to the problem. :)

I somehow feel this problem could affect other Dams in the Tomahawk area in the future. :shock:

Hopefully , The Spirit will be full come Spring, and we can put this problem behind us for decades to come! :wink:

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:40 pm

They installed a steel wall the entire length of earthen dam that in some places goes 60 feet deep all the way down to bedrock. Over 2 million pounds of steel was used to complete the wall. Right now a specialty crew is working to pour concrete in the two gaps where the steel walls abut the dam structure on each side. Once this project is complete and the work is signed off on, they could begin refilling the dam to three feet below full, which in all likelihood will not happen until next spring, unless we get a fall deluge like we had last year. Next spring they plan to begin Phase 2 of work below the dam.
Gone Fishin'

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:44 pm

". Next spring they plan to begin Phase 2 of work below the dam."
'

Any Idea what is all involved in "PHASE 2"

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Phase 2 will involve addressing a boil that was discovered and addressed two years ago next to the fishing platform below the Spirit Dam. They plan to address it after the rainy season next summer. Not sure yet of what all the details will include, but I suspect it will be much less involved than the massive project that took place above the dam this fall. Let's just say water in the Spirit is pretty valuable to WVIC considering the money spent repairing the dam.
Gone Fishin'

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Now we just have to get in the habit of stopping for the stop signs on the bridge below the dam. I asked the county the reason for them and this is the reply they sent.

The stop signs are for logging trucks. They are coming at 90,000 to 120,000 pounds and bouncing on the weak bridge deck. The cars have to obey the same stop signs.

I asked, Was looking at the sign by the bridge today and am wondering why the trucks are allowed to carry that much weight when the bridge has a sign that states it is a 40 ton bridge. shouldn't it be restricted so they aren't overloading it.

The answer I received;

Bridge has been submitted in STP Bridge Program for possible funding this spring. (WisDOT). If picked, construction may happen in two to three years. It's all about money.

Lincoln County received a Structure Condition Evaluation Report from MSA Professional Services (Engineering) on December 15, 2016. Their recommendations were as follows:
Decrease the loading to 40 ton to decrease the accelerated deterioration of bridge deck.
All other vehicle loading over 40 ton should be evaluated on a case by case basis.
Consider lowering the posted speed limit at the bridge to reduce impact load.
Inspect the bridge every 12 months. Each inspection should evaluate load posting and lower as necessary based on observed conditions.
Based on the evaluation done by MSA the Highway Committee decided to post the bridge, install stop signs to reduce impact loads and evaluated every 12 months and submit for funding to replace bridge. One of the major factors for this approach is materials being supplied to PCA Mill and the economic impact it has on Lincoln County.

And I thought we were stopping for boat traffic ! ! ! :lol: :lol:

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”