Your thoughts on downtown mid-block turns

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

Your thoughts on downtown mid-block turns

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 pm

The Tomahawk City Council is considering an ordinance to prohibit left turns mid-block for east and westbound traffic on West Wisconsin Avenue, except for vehicles turning into alleyways and driveways. The ordinance would prohibit those frequent turns one sees by cars going in one direction and then turning into a parking space on the opposite side of the street. There will be a public hearing on the topic at the July 18 Common Council meeting at 7 p.m. at City Hall.

Proponents consider the practice dangerous, particularly for those already parked and unaware that a car could be turning in behind them. Law enforcement has said such turns are not by definition U-turns and are legal, opposing putting an additional ordinance on the books. Proponents have seen many near-misses; law enforcement says records don’t back-up claims of multiple accidents, at least in recent years.

What do you think?

The Tomahawk Leader would like to hear from readers who have opinions on the topic. Post thoughts here; email experiences and thoughts to news@tomahawkleader.com; drop them off at 315 W. Wisconsin Ave.; or mail to P.O. Box 345, Tomahawk, WI 54487.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Re: Your thoughts on downtown mid-block turns

Postby Old Scout » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm

Speaking from experience, I have had two close experiences where I was within inches of being hit by a driver making one of the mid-block turns. Once in front of the Furniture store and once by the Post Office. It was just luck that I saw the car coming into the parking place next to me and we were both able to stop in time. The second time was at the Post Office where a car came into a parking place next to me as I was backing out, also a close call. I have lost count of the vehicles that have cut in front of me when they were crossing my lane for a parking place. The Police may not like it but it is an ordnance that needs to be in place and strongly enforce. So far we have been lucky in avoiding accidents but sooner or later it will happen.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

KEN
Contributor
Contributor

Postby KEN » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:26 pm

I don`t think if they pass the law it would be life altering.

Probably most tickets would be to tourists visiting downtown. :(

You`re riding down the street, looking for a parking space, you spot one on the opposite side of the street, your first reaction is to turn left and get to it before it`s gone. :wink:

I have to admit, coming down Wisconsin ave. from the east, going to the Post Office, I`m on the north side of the street, I see a spot right in front of the Post Office, I`d hang a left , and pull into it. :shock:

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:35 pm

I have to admit, coming down Wisconsin ave. from the east, going to the Post Office, I`m on the north side of the street, I see a spot right in front of the Post Office, I`d hang a left , and pull into it. :shock:

You may not want to do that in the future. :o Providing that the Police Chief allows the officers to enforce the new law since he doesn't seem to like it and thinks we need to redesign the down town. :roll:

Looking at old pictures, the parking has been the same since they came up with motor vehicles. I don't remember a whole lot of accidents because of the way we park..Perhaps we should put a boulevard down the middle, that would solve the problem. :)

On another note, I hope they enforce this better than they do the race track on S Tomahawk Ave. From the Bank corner to the Shell station people seem to think that there is no speed limit and it is a race to see who can get to the intersection first. A lot of close calls in the area, but hardly ever see the police there. :(
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

Renee class of '80
Typical Poster
Typical Poster
Tie to Tomahawk: grew up there class of 1980

Postby Renee class of '80 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I agree with Old Scout on this one. It's an illegal U-turn everyplace else you drive, why should this get an exemption? It's teaching new drivers a bad habit that could kill someone. I don't think an extra 30 seconds is crucial to anyone, nor traffic warranting that that spot will be taken if you drive to the intersection and do it correctly.

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Old Scout » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:48 pm

if you drive to the intersection and do it correctly.

You may want to reconsider that part. The intersections are all posted as "No U Turns". The only place you can do that is at the end of WIS Ave. by the RR station.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”