Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:21 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I want to congratulate those people of Wisconsin who took
the trouble to vote in yesterday's election. Television crews
covering the primary showed the snow and ice in the background of many campaign and voting sites. But the
turnout in Wisconsin -- particularly compared to some other states that have held primaries -- was impressive. New reports this morning noted that there was apparently
a fair amount of "cross-over" voting; for example, the normally conservative Republican suburbs north and east of Milwaukee voted heavily for Edwards. That, too, makes the
Wisconsin Primary interesting. I lived for a number of years in Whitefish Bay and I know the political leanings of the foks
in that part of Wisconsin. I seriously doubt that they intend
to vote for Edwards if he is nominated as the Democratic standard bearer. But that's all right. That's Wisconsin. And, if nothing else, it shows political engagement. This country needs much more of that spirit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Baby,

Don't worry, you are right. Wisconsin's primary is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. You can only vote for one party or the other.

Due to this fact if there was an important election in any part of the state that would be determined by the primary (Lincoln County Sheriff in 2000) then everyone has to vote for that party all the way through (In the sheriff's case I believe it was Republican). Based on this fact everyone who cared about that race had to vote Republican the whole way through (huh, there must be a lot of Republicans in Lincoln County!).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:12 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Kerry: I don't know what rules apply to local
elections in your region, but the Wisconsin Primary
is and has been for some time an open primary. Indeed, some years ago there was a strong objection
by the Democratic Party to the open primary and some suggestions that Democrats would forego the Wisconsin Primary if Republicans were allowed to cross over and vote for a candidate they clearly would not support in the general election. If offerred, so the argument went, an opportunity for some mischief -- voting for a weaker candidate in order to embaraas or slow the apparent support for a stronger party candidate. Wisconsin rejected that challenge and the open primary has existed since. Since today's Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel
for a story which makes reference to the open
primary system in describing the voting for Senator Edward that came from strongly conservative Republican segments of Milwaukee County and the immediate Milwaukee-area suburbs.

I'm not complaining. I favor an open primary because I believe it represents a real test of
strength for the candidate who ultimately deserves
nomination.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:09 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Bob,

It is difficult to tell this year since the only other vote on the ballot was for a non-partisan office (judge).

However, as recently as 2000 you could only vote in one party (I just looked up a sample ballot to confirm my memory).

I don't know if Wisconsin changed its law since then or if it just didn't matter with this election and the new changes.

<small>[ February 19, 2004, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Kerry Tobin ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:37 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Some years back, Wis. had an open primary where you could vote for either party or on both parties. It was changed to where any one can vote, but you must vote as a republican or demacrate not on both. This is only on the primary, in the general election you can vote for the person not the party.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:33 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Sounds like a personal problem to me ! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:14 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

You are right, you don't have to declare a party, but you can only vote in one party. If you vote in both parties your ballot will be thrown out as invalid.