Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: gwb
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:20 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Bet he knows the difference between 8 pm and 9pm though... ;)

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by jcg:
What about Bush's sealed records? Dean is in the process of opening his records, via a judge's approval.
The Democratic party is having some major problems.
From what I have read Bush's records as governor have been unsealed for some time.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:21 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:30 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

US Political Outlook Next Year's Election Seems Positive for Bush

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=B2D7982F-BC1D-478D-92A636093B61753E

I could care less about whose records are sealed. Bush Senior, Junior, Dean, Clinton or anyone else’s. The only reason anyone wants to get their hands on those records is so they can use the contents to trash some one with. It wouldn’t matter even if the records were spotless. Noting positive is going to come out of opening those records. And the sad thing is, all that garbage, and all that trash won’t change not one person’s opinion or their vote.

Republicans trashing Democrats, Democrats trashing Republicans and Lieberman is trashing everyone and anyone that moves.

And then there’s Dean. A real piece of brilliance the other day when he trashed Bush and said catching Saddam did not make the country safer and for the most part tried to suggest it was meaningless. Real brilliance. He must not be paying attention. In a recent NBC poll nearly seventy five percent rated catching Saddam and bin Laddin as their number one priority when asked what they wanted seen done. Doh!!

<small>[ December 23, 2003, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

That's not the point, Dean was an idiot for flaunting the capture in the face of 75% of Americans that made it number one in their minds according to a poll that not even Dean disagreed with.... how smart is that of Dean?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Dopey Dwarf:
Well is our country safer?.....

If not then I guess catching Saddam is for what? Meaning?
No, our country is no safer with the capture of Saddam, and our military men and women serving in Iraq are no safer. But the people of Iraq are safer, Saddam can no longer gas them to death, bury them alive, or film their being tortured. Saddam's own videos of the torture is all the evidence any court needs to convict him of crimes against humanity. That, and the graves.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:52 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
I recveived this e-mail from a friend with a son in the Marines.

What Kind Of Man Would Do Such A Thing?
At Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington DC recently the Sergeant Major of the Army, Jack Tilley, was with a group of people visiting the
wounded soldiers. He saw a Special Forces soldier who had lost his right hand and suffered severe wounds of his face and side of his body. The Sergent Major of the Army wanted to honor him and show him respect without offending,
but what can you say or do in such a situation that will encourage and uplift?
How do you shake the right hand of a soldier who has none?
There was a man in that group of visitors who had his wife with him to visit the wounded He seemed to knew exactly what to do. This man reverently
took the soldiers stump of a hand in both of his hands, knelt at the bedside and prayed for him. When he finished the prayer, he stood up, bent over the soldier and kissed him on the head and told him that he loved him.
A powerful expression of love and Christ-like example, for one of our wounded heroes.
What kind of a man would do such a thing?
The wounded man's Commander-in-Chief, George W. Bush; President of the U.S.A.

This story was told by the Sergeant Major of the Army, at a Soldiers' Breakfast held at Red Arsenal, AL, and recorded by Chaplain James
Henderson, stationed there.
Pass it on... the press won't.

An embellished story? Possibly. But it is also a story I choose to believe. I may not agree with everything Bush stands for, but I believe he is a man of integrity who is not afraid to make his stands known.

<small>[ December 24, 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:22 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 11:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Hey Dopey, the name is Boettcher. Yes I agree that we should all pray for the folks we voted into power.

As for those concerned about the sealing of records, I read today that Dean has "sealed" the records from his tenure as governor of Vermont. His reason? "We don't want anything embarassing appearing in the papers at a critical time in any future endeavor". Appleton Post Crescent, 12/27/03.

<small>[ December 27, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:42 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Can Dean be for real?
>>Regarding foreign policy, Dean recently said not only that America is no safer because Saddam is captured, but that America is "no safer today than the day the planes struck the World Trade Center." <<
>>He says he supported the war to remove the Taliban in Afghanistan, although he thinks it made us no safer. And even though he says the war in Iraq made us no safer, he says he would "not have hesitated" to attack Iraq if the United Nations had given us "permission." <<
>>The New Republic, a liberal magazine, says Dean was "churlish and puny" about the capture of Saddam,<<

http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story160405.html

What? And they call Bush the warmonger? There is no other reason to attack Afghanistan or Iraq.

Needing permission form the U.N. or any outside influence to take action against our enemies is something most clear thinking Americans will never accept.

I agree, we need to pray for Dean. Perhaps the Wizard of Oz can give him a brain!! :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

More Dean. Man this guy is funny. Hope he wins the Whit House... he will give us better Saturday Night Live then Clinton did! hehehe

Infighting Between Dean, Rivals Gets Ugly
(AP Online 12/30 08:09:31)

By WILL LESTER=
Associated Press Writer=

WASHINGTON (AP) _ Infighting between Howard Dean and some of his
rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination has gotten so
nasty of late that Dean called on party chairman Terry McAuliffe to
step in and tone things down. In the process, Dean managed to
insult McAuliffe.

<small>[ December 31, 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Paul O’Neil was “off the reservation” before he even left the administration. No big surprise that he would do something like this. I’m not sure what the big flap is all about myself. So he basically is saying GW is not a nice guy and he is a control freak. Like I give a ratz? That’s his opinion. I’m sure there are a lot of folks that agree with him. So, do I give a ratz?

So GW wanted to go after the number one butchering dictator on the planet, hey, so did I! Saddam was out of conformance with the UN resolution regarding WMD’s long before 911. Whey is it such a big surprise that GW would want to go after him? Clinton wanted to go after him too but after he and the UN botched Bosnia, he didn't dare use force.

So GW and his administration set the wheels in motion then 911 happened and greased the skids? What’s the beef? I don’t get it myself. I think O’Niel comes off like a little spoiled brat that couldn’t get his way, got himself fired and is now trying to get a bit of revenge, oh yeah, and a few million bucks in a book deal!

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/US/oneill_charges_040113.html

The Price of Loyalty, O'Neill says that from the very start of his administration, Bush was focused on ousting Saddam. Bush says that his policy at the time was merely a continuation of the Clinton administration's stance. White House aides have suggested O'Neill, whom Bush fired in December 2002, is merely trying to sell books.

As my mother told me when I swallowed my bubble gum, this too will pass.

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Jcg, we are creating jobs… trouble is they are in Mexico, India, China and other countries.

Free Trade is failing. We are exporting jobs at an alarming rate and even some of the factories that were promised productions increases due to more overseas buying power, are being closed and the jobs are being shipped over seas. An example is the Maytag factory that closed in the Midwest.

The ironic thing is Free Trade was passed with Bill Clintons pushing and prodding against his own party’s position on the issue.

But Free Trade is not the only culprit here. Unions share some of the blame as well as other factors. Their constant insistence on higher wages and more benefits have driven corporations to seek cheaper labor.

Unions, in some, not all cases, have lost touch with reality. Take the southern California grocery store strike. The union is striking against the three large grocery stores, Albertson’s, Safeway and Ralph’s. But here’s the thing that is totally out of reason with reality.

They have had an agreement with the three above-mentioned stores for some years. Recently two other large grocery chains have come into the market place. The same union signed with them at lower wages and less benefits then the existing contract with the above mentioned stores. So when the contract expired, they, the old stores, expected to sign the same contract that the union signed with the new stores that are direct competitors. Wrong! The union wanted even more in wages and benefits then the old contract, leaving the new stores the ability to compete with significantly lower wage and benefit packages.

Now to through an even bigger wrench into the mix, is Wal-mart, a non-union shop, opening super-stores in direct competition with all the grocery stores. But the union is holding hard and fast.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:20 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The challenge he put forth to owners and jocks to rid steroids from sports can be handled within the context of the speech, I doubt Social Security reform could have been.

Personally I thought both his speech and the demo’s rebuttal were both a waste of time… I wish I had watched the reruns on the golf channel after it was all over.