Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Why is it that about 5-15% of people are not smart enough to turn on their headlights when the weather is bad?

There was freezing rain, fog and ice all day where I am. I had to drive 50 miles each way to get to the location they wanted me to work at today. I couldn't believe how many people didn't have their lights on in that weather.

If your wipers are on your lights should be too!

Also, just a question. If you are so much safer with headlights on in the day (daytime running lamps) wouldn't you be better off with your tail lights on too??? This would eliminate the issue with people who think they don't need to turn their lights on in bad weather because they have daytime running lamps. Hate to break it to you people but your headlights might be on but you are going to get hit in the rear because they can't see you!

Last fall there was a terrible accident on I43. I was on that highway that day. People were driving at over 70 mph without lights on. The fog was so thick you could hardly see the lines on the highway.

Basically, just because you can see the road doesn't mean others can see you well. If the conditions are bad turn your lights on (it should be the law), it doesn't hurt and reduces the chances you will be in an accident (there were a lot of them in Appleton today).

Post subject: Re: Driving
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:33 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I may be wrong but I thought a law was passed last year that when wipers are on, lights must be on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:48 am 
Contributor
Contributor

When I was in drivers education 24 yrs. ago our driving instructor told the class, "when driving in inclement weather, you must have your head lights on. Not parking lights, HEAD lights. Parking lights are for parking not driving." Many accidents could be avioded with a simple turn of a switch. I do not feel sorry for people in accidents caused because of thier own Stupidity. TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:57 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

You might suggest that cellphone knuckleheads keep the phone out of their ears while driving under those conditions. :mad:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Agreed,

I do talk on my phone while driving sometimes (work related most of the time).

In bad weather I make it quick or ask to call back later though.

I know the law was proposed last year but I don't know if it passed. If it did it isn't enforced (that I have seen).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:53 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Don't even ask me about drivers.. How about those that will not yield for emergency vehicles? How about those cars full to the brim of newly empowered 17 year olds listening to Brittany Spears, eating Big Macs, and lanquishing over boyfireds/grilfriends while on the cell phone. Or the blue hairs going 40 on the highway! Not to mention the angry divers, the bored drivers, distracted drivers, the sightseers and of course the vacationer with $30,000 of boat, trailer, watercraft and or campers..etc....
Oops ...I said I wouldn't get started... Oh well.
Deano

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Baby,

The same arguement is made for the drinking age (more stupid stuff happens at such and such age).

Lets think about this. At 16 you are very inexperienced at driving. Raise the age to 17 or 18 and now you are very inexperienced at driing and you make the same stupid mistake (only now you are 17 or 18).

Getting better at driving should relate to the experiences you have had. Also, raising the driving age would cause serious issues for both the young drivers and businesses.

I grew up in Tomahawk. My parents own a business that kept them very busy. Fortunatly they still made time to get us to the activiies we were involved in (sometimes they even remembered to pick us up after them). When I turned 16 I got a job and a car. I paid my gas, repairs and insurance. I also put money away that was saved for school, etc. Nelson's got an employee who showed up for work, worked a minimum wage job, and could fill in at busy times.

16 to 18 year olds are a big part of the work force and I doubt I would have done many of things I did or worked the hours.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
What the heck! Are you supposing that parents should take more reponsibilty in raising thier kids! C'mon, are you out of your mind! MTV, Dr. Phil, and Young Miss Magazine are doing fine job. I am sure that there is a nintendo game out there somewhere that can teach them proper driving skills. Why sould I as a parent want to be involved in thier lives at all? Let em grow up and move on I say.

(Hmmmm smell that? Its sarcasm! LOL!)

<small>[ April 06, 2003, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The sad thing is the laws really need to be enforced before made any tougher.

Lets just say I knew someone who got a OWI. This person was put on one year of probation. One term of the probation, no drinking. This person got caught the only time they checked him at random for the entire year. He spent one night in jail and wasn't randomly checked again.

They could have come about 60% of the time and nailed him again.

What do think this person really learned from this experience?

My guess. "I can get away with it!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:39 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

"I agree with some colleagues that the legal driving age should be raised to 17 or 18."
Baby...GET REAL!!!
As a parent who has raised two children in this area and lives "in the boonies" it was impractical for them not to have a license at 16. Both had jobs, (one had 2 jobs at 14). We were constantly running her to her jobs. Both got their license at 16 and both got vehicles at 16.It was a relief not to have to pick her up at 11 P.M. or later. They were also responsible for the gas and insurance.
We ran a business for many years and 50% of our employees started working for us at 16. Unless they were within walking distance of our store, they drove to work. Many continued on to college which they may not have been able to do without that job and the drivers license to get them there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:43 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Kerry: I also wonder sometimes "WHY" people don't know enough to turn on their headlights when weather is bad? This is a lesson that registered in my head when I was given driving lessons. Do people think they are wasting their headlights by turning them on or what is their reason? I would like to know why? I'm married to one LOL!
I have to say: turn on your headlights now....it is that type of day...and so on...to use your lights...

Also, another "good tip" I picked up from a gentleman I used to be employed with: He would use his lunch hour maybe once a week or every two weeks and take his windex bottle and "clean" off those headlights ...they get dirty and you won't believe how much dirt you wipe from them. So, don't forget to clean them off to see the deer and traffic better during bad weather and the darkness.(also, your brake/tail lights too! ;) )

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Fushia, Good point. Good to see you back on the Message Board! ODDS BODKINS! You`ve been gone along time!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:36 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 12:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The idea of taking 16 year olds off the roads goes more to the idea of maturity then experience. But even with that in mind, if you take 10,000 16 year olds off the highways that’s 10,000 less high risk drivers on the road. Maturity or experience aside, simple deduction would suggest you would lower the number of accidents. I have seen some promoting driving under 18 only for those that meet a “needs” test. Such as back and forth to work, but no where else unless allowed by special permits. This would be very hard to enforce.

As for turning on headlights in bad weather, of course it’s a great idea. There are roads in California where they strongly encourage you to have your headlights on 365/24/7 regardless of the weather. Another good idea on those roads. My Mercury turns on the lights via a sensor automatically when the visibility dips to a certain level. That option should be mandatory as far as I am concerned. Also has auto turn off. I never touch my light switch except when getting on one of the above mentioned roads. The lights also come on automatically when the wipers come on.

<small>[ April 15, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: JFlosum ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 10:38 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Another thing that people need to learn is that the right side mirror,(the one that says "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear") will get you in trouble when you are passing and pull back into your lane as soon as you can see the other car in that mirror.
I just came back from a trip out west and I couldn't count the number of times I was cut off by people doing lane changes. I always make sure I can see the car or truck in my inside rear view mirror before moving right and then I know I have enough room. Apparently a lot of drivers haven't figured that out. :mad:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 10:11 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Good point Old Scout! It is indeed a point to be discussed about mirrors. Some don't even use their mirrors backing out of parking spaces!...eek! Yikes! Have you ever noticed at the post office while backing out...and in the grocery lots etc...I've noticed some people nowadays...just "BACK" right out without looking
and always while driving down the roads and "changing" lanes....people seem to rely on the other guy/gal to "LOOK" and let others watch out for them..instead of watching out for themselves...???????It is time to pay attention and take full responsiblity when you are behind the wheel....thanks for all of the great posts on safety here everyone. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 9:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I have a new addition to my list of bad drivers.

I actually saw a guy that was driving while holding his cell phone with his right hand and smoking with his left. How is this not an accident waiting to happen, especially when he had to flick the ash off out the window so he drove with no hands.

The truely funny/sad part is a guy started to pull out infront of him, he couldn't control the car and he still kept doing it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:47 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I have another one to add to the list of stupid things people do when they are driving.
The past two weeks the county has been working on resurfacing Co. E and Co. O. It's bad enough to have to drive on gravel with the dust but there are people that seem to think that there is no reason to slow down from the normal 60 that they drive on blacktop. Apparently they have no concept of the amout of rocks that they are throwing at every car they meet, or the people that are driving sensably that they pass.
I bought a Jeep Grandcheroke this past Feb. and it is starting to look like it is 10 years old. In the past two weeks I have had a chip in my windsheild, one in a side window, and three paint chips on the hood and front fender that are down to bare metal from these idiots. They seem to have no consideration for anyone else and sometimes it seems that they get a kick out of seeing how much dust they can raise and how many stones they can throw. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:19 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Old Scout: Another "great" point to be brought up!
Road Construction and weather play an important
role in our driving conditions. I always reflect
back on my driver's ed days remembering what I learned and what my teacher taught us. Seems that
most people make up their own rules. Another rule that not many seem to honor is: THE GOLDEN RULE~
treating others as you want to be treated..etc.
There is danger in traveling too fast for conditions. This includes weather and road construction. I'm sorry to hear about your car Old Scout. I see many also driving fast and dust, dirt flying down the roads coming my way fast...
no where to go, but to get hit by flying debris!
There are some commericals on tv now regarding road construction etc..maybe there have to be more about driving safely in weather conditions and road construction. Who do we write to or call regarding this topic? I guess we could give it a try...since no police sit on those roads that I ever see?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Scout says, "Another thing that people need to learn is that the right side mirror,(the one that says "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear") will get you in trouble when you are passing ..." I will add or it you are using it to shave.

How about this?

Oregon Passes Pay-As-You-Drive Insurance (OEC Press Release 6/19)
On Thursday, June 19, the Oregon Senate passed House Bill 2043, a bill designed to encourage automobile insurance companies to offer cents-per-mile premiums. The bill is now before the governor, who has not decided whether or not he will sign. Known as mileage-based or Pay-As-You-Drive (PAYD), the policies are beneficial to those persons who use their vehicles rarely. The risk of accident is substantially dependent on how long the vehicle is on the road, so those who drive less often pay more per mile under the current system. That results in a disincentive to use other means of transportation, since drivers have unlimited miles for their premium term -- the more they drive, the more they get out of their insurance policy. PAYD premiums, on the other hand, create an incentive to use alternate means of transportation, such as mass transit, bicycles, or carpooling. In addition to driver benefits, PAYD insurance will result in improved air and water quality, reduced congestion, mitigation of our impact on the climate, and resource conservation. Auto insurers are interested in offering the policies, but bear the costs of setting up the system and tracking mileage. House Bill 2043 provides the incentive to create such infrastructure through tax credits to insurance companies for PAYD policies issued.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:38 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I notice everyone "everywhere" step off the curb into your cars now instead of waiting for a chance to cross the road! Just like a deer on the side of the road..almost...I've seen deer actually stand and wait to cross! People just dart out from the curb with no waiting and expected you to SLAM ON YOUR BRAKES when they
are ready to cross the road. Also, no one seems
to use the cross walk..they dart out all over town anywhere and jaywalk all over. I'm surprised there aren't more people hit. Just more accidents because the car in back of you can't stop when you slam on your brakes!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Which brings up the point of why are the da** fools following so da** close in the first place. I am often temped to hit the brakes just to see how good some of these idiots reflexes are. The whole problem is that most drivers have no concept of the term "Common sense" and how it applies to driving. If they are more than twenty feet off of your back bumper they are wasting valuable space on the road. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seize the Day !