Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Katrina
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:12 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Now instead of spelling police, we have grammer police. Actually it was so bad it would probably be a 15 or better. Michael Moore has zero credibility. :roll:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:26 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
this is was a "natural disaster" , was it planned that we should be at war when this happened! Let's get real. It happened & now needs to be dealt with. Bottom line is, if people had left when they were told to most of them would still be alive. Like I said before, you need to take responsibilty for your self at some point in your life. Help was sent when time & resources allowed. It is such a huge scale effort to under take, that it will take time. As far as rebuilding, that is probably one of the craziest thing to consider! "Hey everyone, lets just build at least 17 feet below sea level & hope nothing will happen"!! Lets get real people!

<small>[ September 08, 2005, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: logic1 ]</small>

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:15 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:51 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
????????????

READ, then comment.

<small>[ September 09, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:53 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
I, personally, am a fan of Dr. Ben Marble, the guy that walked up and told Cheney to go f**k himself. its funny how cheney can tell sntr. leahy and its okay, but when someone says it to him they end up being detained by fbi and secret service agents...even if only for a half hour.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:32 am 
General User
General User

JMF: How about wrapping Cheney AND Bush in duct tape? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
Jeff Boettcher, what does your post refer to?

???????? read, then comment....on what.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:21 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
logic1,
Faulty message on my part. If Dopey was referring to my post in her last message, then I am confused. I made no mention of race in my post. "Read, then comment" was an implication that he/she hadn't taken the time to read my post thoroughly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by Dopey Dwarf:
Admit it, we all hoped and waited that Katrina would turn. After all, mass devistation of a Hurrican 3 never hit US soil before, why should it now.
Dopey, you need to bone up on your weather history. Remember Andrew in 1992? South Florida, category 5. I remember Camille, Gulf Coast, 1969, it was category 5. There was a category 5 in 1935. Hurricane Charley was a category 4. Inez in 1966 killed 1500 people, it hit the Florida coast. Beulah, category 4, hit Texas in 1967, it spawned 150 tornadoes. I was in Hurricane Frederick in 1979, the worst tornado to hit Alabama since 1916, though now Katrina surpassed Frederick. Hugo, 1989, South Carolina. I'm sure I've left others out. My mother always talked about a major hurricane that hit the east coast in the 1938, in 6 hours it killed 600 people.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:41 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

When you insist on living below sea level (at comparatively great expense due to the pumping and infrastructure required) eventually the laws of physics and nature triumph. Of course the oil industry made its contribution. In the end its the hubris of those living in the Mississippi flood plain and the Army Corps of Engineers that indulged them that is to blame.

How could the federal government respond quicker? All our human and economic resources are being flushed down the toilet of the Bush war in Iraq. If our politicians had any backbone they would show some economic responsibility and put a dollar a gallon tax on gas and start paying the bills on our expenditures.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Well Dagger, you just guaranteed you'll never get my vote if you run for office.

Adding additional taxes on gas when prices are already so high would instantly send our economy into a depression. EVERYTHING we use to live and buy involves gas somewhere. Businesses will be forced to raise their prices to cover expenses. Customers will have to cut spending because they can't afford gas. That wonderful combination says the customers have less money to buy more expensive products.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 pm 
It's most definitely a class issue, but why all of those lower-class individuals were predominantly black makes it also a race issue. Those people who yammer, "But it's not a race issue!" are probably the same ones who think racism went out with slavery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:34 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, Kerry but the politicians and the people that support them would at least be taking responsibility for there actions. You say, "Businesses will be forced to raise their prices to cover expenses."

Do you think they will lower prices in the future when the bill for the growing Bush deficit comes due? Of course Bush will be gone by then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:17 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: 1969 THS graduate
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerry Tobin:
Just curious what people were doing in response to the hurricane or what others thoughts were.

I'm planning on using my company's donation matching policy to make a donation.

I believe we had visitors from the Houston area, etc. What are you seeing and hearing?

Kerry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:35 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: 1969 THS graduate
A month after Hurricane Katrina and since Hurricane Rita, the devastation in this area is still so hard to believe. In Alabama, the shrimping industry in Bayou La Batre (this is where Forrest Gump's shrimp industry was filmed) is all but dead. Homes are gone and people are living in tents in their front yards.

Our church, Orchard Baptist Church, Mobile, AL, has adopted Pascagoula, Mississippi and we send a delegation there (35 miles) each day, Monday through Saturday to give away food, cleaning supplies, diapers, toiletries, cold drinks and love. we have concentrated on a particular area and the folks in the area tell us what they need and we try to provide for their needs. There, too, people are sleeping in tents. There are homes still standing but they have been covered with water or have had enough water in them to cause all of their belongings to become ruined. We have met a lady who was carried a mile from her home by flood water and hung onto a pillar of a church until she was rescued. We have met people who have lost everything but they tell us about someone who is worse off than they are and tell us to help them. The debris that was once someone's furniture, appliances and lives is staggering. There are areas as high as three stories and as big as the entire school complex on King's Road (maybe bigger) where large cranes off load the belongings from trucks and try to sort them into metal/non-metal piles for recycling. chimneys and slabs are all that remains of many homes. Roofs sit on the ground next to homes where the bottom floor has been gutted and the stairs go to the second level where windows are broken and curtains flap in the breeze. The stores in the shopping district are opening. I guess FEMA feels that is their cue to leave town because they have closed the support center and there is no ice and water drop anymore because it is available at Wal-Mart and other stores. Unfortunately, many people have lost their mode of transportation and have no way to get to the store, no way to get to work if they still have a job, and nowhere to keep ice frozen because they still don't have power. FEMA trailers are being delivered but there is at least a week or two wait before people are being allowed to use them even to sleep because they must have an approved contractor(s) come to connect the utilities. No keys are distributed until all the utilities needed are connected. the people are frustrated by this. However; as a whole, they are optimistic about the future of the area and in particular of their own futures.

If anyone wants to help and wants to know exactly where their money is going instead of giving to a national organization, send me an email and I'll supply you with the address of Orchard Baptist Church. Bless you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Some reporter asked Bush what his position was on Roe vs. Wade.........Bush said he didn't really care which way people left New Orleans.!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:43 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagger:

How could the federal government respond quicker? All our human and economic resources are being flushed down the toilet of the Bush war in Iraq. If our politicians had any backbone they would show some economic responsibility and put a dollar a gallon tax on gas and start paying the bills on our expenditures.
If you internalized all the true costs of gasoline it is really about $7-$9 dollars a gallon when pollution effects, destuction of local cultures (see Joe Kane's book), military costs, tax-payer subsidies, etc. are included.

It is true, however, that I never see any Bush supporter take any responsibility for the money they want to spend. Treat it like a personal budget. You want to spend it, provide the funding mechanism or be honest about who you are borrowing it from and who and when the payment will fall on. Nixon is looking historically better every day. Interestingly the republican congress voted to destroy the Endangered Species Act the other day. Nixon looks like Mother Teresa compare to Bush Junior.