Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:35 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Well here it is another school year approaching and the fall sports seasons have begun. Along with that comes the fund raisers!!! Everywhere I turn someone is selling something for the different sports. I don't mind supporting these teams however; I don't understand why there needs to be so many different fund raisers going on all at THE SAME TIME!! It is my understanding that if a child wants to participate in a sport they have to pay $15.00 (up from last year). IF this is the case, why the fund raisers?? Also, What do our INCREASING taxes go for? I just don't get it!! Last week I bought some "cookie dough" from a young lady that was "trying out" for volleyball. She was told they had to sell so many tubs and that her order AND money HAD to be in by Monday August 15th (the first day of practice). What if these girls don't make the team?? How can they make these girls sell a product for a team they don't even know if they are going to be a part of?!! :confused: Oh, I know what the "coach" will say, "they don't have to sell it." Yeah, right....they don't sell and it's simple..."an easy cut from the team." Perhaps next year the Volleyball coaches may want to consider starting their fund raiser once their teams have been established!! Last Spring the girls softball team sold Pizza Hut cards....if they didn't sell a certain amount they had to do laps!!!! Now, tell me this....is this a WIAA rule or is this a rule in the Tomahawk High School policy book????
I also don't recall this ever being mentioned in any of the "Required" sports meetings us parents HAVE to attend before the start of each sport!! Just what are these "teachers" teaching our children??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Almost all of these fund raisers are conducted by booster groups consisting of interested citizens, parents, alumni, and kids. Funds are used to purchase items not included in the regular budget such as bus upgrades. The fundraising efforts for the girl's hockey program this year, for example, will fund the entire program this year. Tax increases go to pay for things like increasing teacher salary and benefit costs, educational equipment purchases, increased costs of maintaining school buildings, the retirement of the outstanding debt of the school system, new requirements in the curriculum and other things of this type. With little or no money left over to fund increases in the cost of co-curricular activities the fund raising activities of booster groups is really important in retaining an active and vital co-curricular program. I don't know about the possibly over zealous activities of some people involved in the fund raising efforts, and find it troubling that some kids may be overly pressured in the sales department. For the most part, people involved in these activities are good, community minded folks who are trying to do something good for young people and make program opportunities available that would otherwise not be there. I will have to end this post as I have to go down to Lemke's Tomahawk Foods and buy a brat for lunch at the stand in the parking lot. Hope to see you all there ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:33 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I understand what you are saying Dave. My question is though, what does the required $15.00 per participated sport (per player) go towards? Like I said before, I have no problem supporting these kids! I just don't agree with the coaches putting an amount of how much the kids "have to sell" or having a fundrasier BEFORE the teams have been established!!
On another note, I learned today that 4 girls got cut from the volley ball team. Is it worth putting them through the let down and embarrassment if only 4 girls get cut??? Can't these girls just "fill in" somewhere on one of the levels, JV maybe ? It is my understanding that there is a "no cut" policy at the Freshman level - however; 4 Freshman were moved up to JV and the other potential JV players were cut!! This is NOT right!! If the team is having a great game and ahead, let them play. Let them practice with the team, it's the only way they can "learn" to improve their skills!!! Heck in pro-football if a team is ahead by alot, sometimes you'll see them putting their 3rd string in for goodness sakes!!! I just don't see the point of having to "cut" just 4 girls from volleyball because their not as good as the other team mates. I could see maybe having to cut 8 or more...but 4???? :eek: These 4 girls obviously had a liking of the sport now these coaches have destroyed that ...nothing like destroying a childs self esteem!!!

<small>[ August 23, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: surenough ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The $15 fee for each participant hardly covers any of the costs associated with the sports that the kids are involved in. The cost to clean the locker areas after a single game will eat up that small amount of money very quickly, and we have not purchased so much as a hockey puck or a football yet. As far as the cuts go, I was not aware that anyone got anything more than a simple notice that they probably would not see a whole lot of playing time, but I could be wrong on that. Personaly, I would rather see us go to an all intermural program that was a whole lot cheaper to operate than what we now do and placed an emphasis on everyone getting the opportunity to play rather than seeing who could win.....but that is probably another entire thread to be explored. The plain fact is that sports programs are not cheap. If we want to have them, the money has to come from somewhere. I know that I do not use half the stuff I buy every year to support one local sport or another, but I keep buying the stuff anyway. By the way, the brats were really great. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:02 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Not only is the cost of sports expensive to the school district, it's an expense to the parents as well. Fund raisers do help both the district and the parents. Although, a good portion of the funds raised by fund raisers usually come directly from the parents. The fund raisers do need to be reconsidered. A freezer only holds so much cookie dough and so many pizza. How about hiring the sports teams out for small handy person type chores. I know that this has been done in the past. Putting in and taking out docks is one that comes to mind. Lawn raking would be another possiblity. Just a thought.
Intramural sports do have a place in our schools, however life isn't an intramural sport, it's competitive, nor is life about equal playing time. Just another thought. Wish I was in Tomahawk yet to enjoy those good brats!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:14 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Thanks for the info Dave. Like I've said, I just don't agree with these coaches telling these athletes that the "Have" to sell so many of whatever they are selling. I was told by a football player that they "had" to sell so many of those discount cards!! NO THEY DON'T!!! Once again, show me where in the WIAA or Tomahawk High School rule books where it states this. These coaches intimidate these kids and they bribe them; "you sell so many (whatever they are selling) and you won't have to run laps" or "if you DON'T sell (so many of whatever they are selling) you'll have to run x amount of laps." They should simply tell their teams that they are having a fund raiser and if they want to participate they can but they are NOT REQUIRED to do so...and leave it at that!!! None of these "threats." Another thing these coaches REALLY need to watch is their language. I don't know how many times I've watched these coaches going ballistic and throwing fits and screaming terrible language at these young kids. This is not appropriate at all and it should NOT BE TOLERATED!! I think at the end of each sports season the parents of the children that participated in that particular sport along with the athletes themselves should be able to not only fill out an evaluation of the season but an evaluation of their coaches also. The athletic diretor AND the school board members need to see these evaluations!! This is the only "FAIR" way problems can be taken care of. I've been told that the athletic director does do an evaluation of the coaches himself....but come on, that is not fair!! He did not play the sport nor did he play for that particular coach. Things have a way of getting "swept under the carpet" when it's done that way. I really think this is something that should be allowed.
On another note, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your brat Dave. I think there will be another brat feed this upcoming weekend... the girl scouts are putting it on. :cool:

<small>[ August 23, 2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: surenough ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I really think that you should contact the school administration and voice these issues with them. Most of the problems that you cite are valid cause for concern, and should be brought to the administration and the Board formaly. This is the only way to get the system to change and I encourage you to speak up. Call Al Prosser, let him know who you are, and present your case. I know that you will be listened to.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:51 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

As far as cutting four girls from being on the team, that is a shame. I coached 5th and 6th grade basketball for several years. Each year all of the schools (MAPS) fielded each and every kid that wanted to be on the team. There was no "trying out". We got what we got. Our purpose was to teach the game, have fun and promote sportsmanship. No one was turned down, humiliated or disappointed. (Well maybe the coach for having a dud player, but that kid or those kids had wants, needs and desires just like the rest.) One year I had 21 players and each and every one played at least a whole quarter in the game. With only five men on the court at a time that was an accomplishment. A good coach knew if he had a poor player in for his quarter to keep a couple two or three good players to compensate. By the way, that year we had a 13-0 record and the championship.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:50 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Catfish, 5th and 6th grade is a case where no one should be cut or no one should have to try out. This is the time when skills and sportmanship are taught, as you posted. However, in high school it's an entirely different situation. High school sports has become very competitive, sad but true. Could we turn it around and make it for fun? Most likely not. This isn't something that has happened overnight, it has evolved over the years. Yes, I can see the need to cut on some teams. I can see a coach not wanting to deal with being constantly hounded by a parent that has a child sitting the bench. I believe that these kids learn more and often times work harder for a furture position by being cut. It's a tough pill to swollow, yet a good learning expierence, and good preparation for adult life.

It's great Catfish that your team has done so well, keep up the positive coaching!!

surenough, I'm surprised to hear that kids are being threatened to produce in the fund raising. It must be the newer coaches. Back in the day when my kids were playing, we never had that happen. I totally disagree that parents should fill out evaluations on coaches. I think that most parents would evaulate on how much time little Johnny or Suzy played. Parents aren't at practice, they don't see the entire picture. My kids have told me stories, (years after the fact) of why little Johnny wasn't getting the minutes and it all goes back to practice. Attitude and laziness during practice were usually the reason.

With kids that are getting cut from sports or are sitting the bench maybe a community effort should be made to form intramural teams. Community efforts might require fund raisers!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:59 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Deb: Good point. However, we've had some terrible coaches and the athletic director at the time just swept the problems under the carpet. There needs to be some way an evaluation can be done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:54 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree with Deb on the coaching evaluation issue. Far too many parents and participants would use the wrong criteria when making the evaluation and the message from the ones who did it correctly would get lost in the shuffle. Almost all our coaching positions are classified as "above pay". This is school jargon for volunteer part-time employment, and teachers take these positions on in more-or-less of a voluntary basis. They cannot quit such a position without a qualified replacement being available, but sometimes it is hard to find people to fill in. Some of our coaching position are filled with community volunteers as well. This is going to give you a real mixed bag when it comes to the kinds of things we are talking about here. I don't know what the answer is, but we spend quite a bit of money on it now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:28 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Speaking of parents evaluation of coaches reminds me of an incident that happened during, or I should say after that championship game I mentioned. All season , as I had said, each kid got to play at least a whole quarter of each game. The championship game was tight and usually on a two point spread. The principle of the school came down to the court during the first quarter and told me in no uncertain terms that that was no more Mr. Nice Guy for this game, eluding to the fact that his school hadn't put a trophy in their showcase since 1970, and don't worry about being equitable with playing time for each. He really wanted that trophy in the case. There was a parent at the game that was not at ANY of the games during the season to see his son play. During this game his son didn't get in at all. I only went seven deep out of the twenty one players. The kids on the bench didn't seem to mind because they knew who they were and really wanted their team to be champions and to be able to say they played on the championship team. The game was held at the high school field house with the stands full and people having to stand all over as well. The radio station was there doing a live broadcast. During the ceremony while receiving the trophy from the high school athletic director the cameras were flashing and the video recorders were rolling this parent came down to the floor and started poking me on my chest with his finger, ripping me a brand new one, saying he came to the game and didn't even get to see his boy play. I asked him where he was all season to see his boy play, as he was ushered to the side and off the court by a uniformed police man and the school principle. You know I enjoyed playing each boy for a whole quarter during the season because then the parents could see for themselves why "little Johnny" wasn't a starter and also why he wasn't playing the 2 pt. championship game.