Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tattoos
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:57 pm 
General User
General User

we haven't had a new topic in a while, so i figured i'd break the monotony by talking about tattoos. What do you folks think of this form of body art? As a tattooed man myself, i'm a big fan. I hope to get quite a few more over the next few years. Any other fans of mixing skin and ink?

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

Post subject: Re: Tattoos
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:08 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

When I was young and in the navy, like all good sailors I got my name tattoed on my uper arm.
Now that I'm getting up there in age I'm thankful.
When I get up in the morning all I have to do is look at my arm and remember who I am.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:17 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
i totally dig tattoos, as an artform and a hobby. i want to know if anyone has gone to Lions Lair yet, and what they thought of the experience? i was tattooed by brad when he was with tattoos by hoss, and enjoyed the work.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:08 am 
Beginner
Beginner

So far I've only been to Mikes in Rhinelander, and I thought that was the best place to go. I want to get another, and I was also wondering about the Lions Lair.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by harrison:
When I was young and in the navy, like all good sailors I got my name tattoed on my uper arm.
LOL. Now I was in the Navy and I never got a tattoo :confused:

I'm not opposed to them but I would caution everyone to take a good long time before getting one. Remember, you'll have it the rest of your life. Only go to a licensed tattoo artist. Do not get a girlfriend's or boyfriend's name put on no matter how madly you think you love one another at the moment. If you are female do not get one on any part of your body that changes size with pregnancy.

Back to the Navy. We had a sailor in who had a tattoo of a ship across his chest. He had one of the first open heart surgeries done. He was diabetic so he had poor wound healing. His chest wound opened up, when he breathed his wound opened wider and the ship appeared to be moving. It was pretty comical. He did end up dying but that had nothing to do with his tattoo.

Another thought, a few tattoos, OK. I work with a guy who is practically totally tatooed and frankly, it is not attractive.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think tattoos in moderation are great (I even have one :eek: ). I don't care for the full body art though; too much of a good thing isn't always a good thing.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:41 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Any one here remember the cartoon strip "Calvin & Hobbes"? I saw a man with a picture of Calvin & Hobbs doing the Monster Dance tatooed on the side of his shoulder. It was fantastic.

If I'd ever consider skin art, it would be something similar. But then I'd request to observe the "artist" working on some one else first. I'd be looking for things like are they using presterilized needles out of a new, sealed package.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a guy at the Mall in Wausau today who even had his scalp tattooed. I don't mean just a little tattoo on his scalp either, I mean his WHOLE scalp!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:08 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
ive been considering getting hair tattooed on my head in places where it has decided to no longer reside.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:19 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS SEEING ALL THESE YOUNG GIRLS WITH THESE TATOOS ON THEIR BUTTS. YOU SEE THEM IN THE MALLS WITH THERE LOW SLUNG JEANS AND ABOUT HALF OF A TATOO SHOWING. I WAS ALSO FLOORED TO HEAR HOW MUCH SOME OF THESE THINGS COST. MY SONS FRIEND HAS A DRAGON ON HIS BACK WHICH IS NOT REAL DETAILED AND ONE COLOR AND IT WAS LIKE
$400. NOTHING NOWADAYS IS CHEAP.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 5:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by harrison:
IT WAS LIKE $400. NOTHING NOWADAYS IS CHEAP.
If you are going to get a tatoo you want to go to a licensed tatoo artist. The money might seem like a lot but HIV/AIDS is a lot more expensive and that's a serious risk with unlicensed tatooists.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:55 pm 
They're addicting.

I'm planning on getting quite a few now. They aren't just for sailors. I'm about as conservative dress-wise as they get; people are surprised when I show them my art.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:03 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I saw the coolest tattoo tonight at Pizza Hut. A woman had angel wings tattooed on the back of her shoulders.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:12 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
They're addicting.

Well better tatoos than plastic surgery. On Discovery Health I watched a show about people addicted to plastic surgery. Uffda, it was disgusting. One woman had had over 100 surgeries/procedures done. It's far more expensive than getting a tatoo. The only time plastic surgery is covered by insurance is when the cause of the defect is medical, such as post cancer, birth defect, or accident. None of the addicted people they showed had any medical reasons, it was just plain vanity. So, tatoo away. Although I agree that too much of a good thing can make it a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:37 pm 
In many cases, a tattoo on a place about which one is embarassed is very empowering. I would rather get a tattoo on my belly than get lipsuction. I am actually thinking about the former very seriously! :)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 6:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Classic example of plastic surgery addiction gone bad, Joan Rivers. She should maybe consider some facial tattoos. It couldn't make it any worse!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
I would rather get a tattoo on my belly than get lipsuction. I am actually thinking about the former very seriously! :)
I'd take a tatoo over liposuction. I've seen liposuction done and it truly is disgusting. It is one of the few medical procedures that makes this nurse nauseated.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:28 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I watched a very interesting show on public TV tonight. It was about the history of tatoos. Polynesians are credited with developing the art of tatooing. They brought it to Hawaii when they emigrated. For years (hundred or more) the white culture tried to stamp out native culture, including language and tatooing (I think their word is kakau). About 1970 the native people began to reclaim their heritage and tatooing returned. You cannot just walk in and get a tatoo in their culture. You must first study your family history and stories. Then the tatoo artist determines what tatoo you get based on the family heritage. There is no color, just black. There is a group where the women all get tatoos on their chins when they become adults. I missed the beginning of the show, I think the women were Polynesian. Although there are regular tatoo artists in Hawaii the traditional artists use only native methods, no needles like we are used to. It was a fascinating show. my son lived in Hawaii for a few months and has a traditional Hawaiian tatoo, from just a regular tatooist obviously.

Tatoos did not come to the U.S until about 1900. It was primarily military members who got them. No one respectable in those days got them. Of course as an ex-military member I'm pretty respectable but those were the words from 1900.

It was a fascinating show, perhaps it will rerun in your area.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:26 am 
General User
General User

Quote:
WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND IS SEEING ALL THESE YOUNG GIRLS WITH THESE TATOOS ON THEIR BUTTS. YOU SEE THEM IN THE MALLS WITH THERE LOW SLUNG JEANS AND ABOUT HALF OF A TATOO SHOWING.
i like to call that kind of tattoo "the tramp stamp."

Baby, you know if you’re not beautiful /Just cover it up /With make-up kits and perforated scalpel seams,/ We’ll do you right up/ I’m so obsessed with looking like celebrities/ Make myself throw up /But it’s all right cause one day I know I’ll be fine/ like everyone else.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:58 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

How would you like a "Tatoo" that could yell "De plane! De plane"? :p

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 am 
General User
General User

HAHA! that is hilarious! Thanks jimbo.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:31 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I think tatoos can be really great looking. I just can't imagine the pain that some of the folks have been thru to have them. On the ones that cover the whole back, do they do these all at once or in sessions? Tatoos were done in Egyptian times, as women had them done for eye liner. Do they still do these types of tatoos?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:38 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
To me, no fancy-schmancy tattoo parlors can match the breathtaking beauty and simple pureness of the classic 'love' 'hate' applied to the knuckle/finger area with a ballpoint pen and a sewing needle. If the 'crucifix with rays' also appears on the mitts of said brethren (and cistern?), so much the better. ;)

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
I am not against the idea of getting a tatoo; my wife has them, many of my firends have them, and I would consider getting one. However, I have yet to find an image of which I am enamored of that I wish to afix it to my corpus for the remainder of my venerability.

<small>[ May 17, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:56 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi!
I think tattoos can look very good, but it has to be small, e.g. wings on the shoulders or something, but not the whole body full of tattoos....!

sum