Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:42 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8307940 /

Get $20 for neutering your cat

WBBH-TV

NAPLES — The Collier County Humane Society is offering a $20 bounty on cats – for neutering them, that is. The group says the drastic measure is needed to curb the growing cat population.

A female cat can produce three litters a year. With an average of six cats in a litter, that one cat could be responsible for 90 others over a five year period.

To encourage cat owners to get their pets fixed, the Humane Society is offering free neutering service for male cats plus a $20 reward. The only catch is the cat has to be yours and over four months old.

You don't have to live in Collier to participate, but you do have to make an appointment with the Collier Humane Society.

"There's no limit to the number of cats someone can bring in," said Stephen Wright of the Collier Humane Society.

Stray cats will not be accepted in this program, which is made possible by a donation the Humane Society received.

The money will be given to pet owners until the funds run out.

While the Humane Society says this program may not eliminate the overpopulation problem, animal advocates think it's a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:47 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I am for anything to get people to have any pet spayed or nuetered! I am still amazed that people do not. May I suggest, anyone who does not, take a trip to any humane society or rescue and talk to the people who deal with the animals every day. In my opinion,it is one of the cruelest things a person can do to animals, let them breed and then not care for the results or shove the responability off on someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
My 2 cats are neutered and spayed (one of each). I did have a cat once I took in as a stray, she was already pregnant. My kids and I loved the kittens and found homes for all. We let her have a 2nd litter, I could only find homes for about half so I took the others to the humane society. Then I had the mother cat spayed. I think I should be a foster parent for kittens, then I get to enjoy them for just a few weeks.

My son just adopted a very nice Jack Russell terrier from the humanr society. He was already neutered.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:47 am 
Beginner
Beginner

My boyfriend is anti-neuter because he thinks that it takes the manhood away from dogs and cats. It took hours of explaining that if i hadn't neutered my dog that he might be walking around getting doggie STD's and paying for child support because he's not able to have smart sex. Lets try to educate people. Puppies and kittens are cute but they grow up. Leave the breeding to the breeder!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:26 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I am sure glad you won him over. My dogs, cats, and horses are all nuetered. In fact , they have to be or get nuetered to live at my home/rescue. They are never adopted out without being altered, male or female. Men do not lose thier manhood when they have a vasectomy nor have I lost my womenhood when I had a tubal. It does not alter personality just sperm count and the population count. Thanks to all who care enough to help control the pet population!!!!!! :) :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
That reminds me, World Population Awareness day is coming up on July 11th.

births - deaths = gain
4.2 - 1.7 = 2.4 people gained per second

http://www.npg.org/facts/world_pop_time.htm

I am sure our state and federal legislators will admit to this problem and tackle it any day now (where is the Graemlin for extreme sarcasm?).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS!
If Wisconsin would have just passed the cat hunting law.....this post would not have been necessary.

<small>[ July 04, 2005, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: KEN ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Deer are hunted in Wisconsin and they are still two many! :p I would think if you hated cats so much you would donate money to spay and nueter programs!!!!!!!!!!!!