Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death of a Legend!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:06 pm 
General User
General User

Thank God I saw Farve crying on TV Sunday night. The Bears won't have to see that SOB in another game!!! God rest his career, and I'll see him in the Hall of Fame.

Post subject: Re: Death of a Legend!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:44 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Typical flatlander thinking!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS! Sounds like "sour grapes" just because The Packers made Da Bears look foolish on the big New Years Eve game. :o

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:12 pm 
General User
General User

Quote:
more about a Bears quarterback. You`re going into the playoffs without one.
:cool: AMEN :cool:

Peace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS ! mullin17 !

What no Bear trash talking?? :(
Come on you`re going to The SUPER BOWL ! :D
Let`s hear your Bear Super Bowl Rap. :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:54 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
first of all..........good for the Bears. They can represent our division. It's too bad that they will NEVER be able to beat the Colts. Too bad for them that they can't luck out with an easy Super Bowl opponent like they did with most of their opponents thru out the season!!! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Since when have the Colts performed well when depicted as the "favorite" in a playoff game?

If the bears can put on a pass rush, this game goes their way. Additionally, Thomas Jones/Cedric Benson is a much more impressive running duo than Dillon/Maroney.

It'll be tough to do, but I'll be pulling for the bears. AT least they're in the same division as the Packers.

<small>[ January 23, 2007, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:47 am 
Beginner
Beginner

From an old Packers fan: the Bears have a legitimate chance of winning the Super Bowl. Mr. Manning will eat some dirt and feel the pain. The Bears offensive game plan will be more effective than most people believe! The Bears defense will set the tone and the offense will surprise people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
The Bears are quite possibly the worst team to ever make it to the Super Bowl. They've been the beneficiaries of a weak schedule, LOTS of non-calls/bad calls and just plain ******* luck all year. All Dungy needs to do is review the last Packer-Bear game and copy McCarthy's approach. 'Da Bears' got nothin'. And the fans are soooooo classy too. Did you see all the middle fingers they raised for the TV cameras? Typical FIBs. Expect to see the most lopsided victory in Super Bowl history. As the Cheeseheads say, "the Bears still suck".

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

exactly right. The Bears had such a soft schedule all year & that is why they are even at the top of the division. I wonder, how could they have such an easy schedule when they were division champs - I don't get it. I thought that is how they get a tougher schedule draw?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:59 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Thought you might enjoy this.

Bears are winning, but they aren't winners

by Mike Vandermause
Source: PackersNews.com

Jan. 21, 2007

"The Bears are who we thought they were."

Thoughts about the Bears vary, but my guess is at least 99 percent of Packers fans will be rooting against them during the Superbowl.

If there's one theme that is shared universally among Packers fans, it's that the Bears always will stink.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. It has everything to do with a bitter rivalry that is 85 years old.

No doubt Bears fans are puffing out their chests this week with pride and looking down on the Packers. They should savor moments like this, because they have been so rare in recent years.

In the storied history of the NFL, the Packers have won more championships and playoff games than the Bears.

Chicago fans correctly will point out the Bears lead the all-time series with the Packers. They will fail to mention that much of that advantage was gained in the leather-helmet era. The Packers hold a 55-43 edge over the last 50 years, and have won 22 of the last 29 meetings.

Incredibly, the Packers have toppled the Bears on the road 12 of the last 13 games, including a 26-7 beat-down at Soldier Field less than three weeks ago. In those 12 victories, the Packers have won by an average of 12½ points. If you can't defend your home turf better than that, there is no basis for bragging rights of any kind.

Even now, when they are one victory short of a Super Bowl berth, the Bears suffer from a major case of insecurity. Bears players were whining this week about how they don't get enough respect.

Apparently they don't realize that respect must be earned. This is a team that won its first playoff game in 12 years last Sunday, and even then barely escaped in overtime, at home, against the injury-ravaged Seattle Seahawks.

It's hard to respect a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman, who said after his miserable performance (0.0 passer rating) against the Packers on Dec. 31 that he didn't give 100 percent in preparation for the game. It was a bad excuse for his horrendous showing, and it spoke to his integrity that as a team leader, he would consider giving less than his best.

Even in the midst of a winning season, Grossman comes off looking like a loser.

And so it goes with the Bears.

Can you imagine the Packers' Brett Favre having that kind of attitude? It's unthinkable, and helps explain why the Bears have gone through 20 starting quarterbacks since Favre took over the Packers' offense in 1992.

Win or lose, the Bears are who we thought they were. Packers fans know exactly what I'm talking about

<small>[ January 24, 2007, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:42 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm no Bears fan, but I feel obligated to say that Packers fans can make fun of "their quarterback", "their last meeting", "their schedule", or "their record against the Packers" all they want..

But the BEARS are still the ones playing in the Superbowl this year.... (yeah, they're no good compared to the Packers :roll: )

I personally hope they lose, but I think it's "cute" how Packers fans try to downplay it..

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:29 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

abnerman, "cute" Packer fans! What an insult! "Hardcore factual" is a much better description. I personally know of several Bears fans that will be supporting their beloved team on the outside, but when it comes to the mighty dollar that will be riding on the Colts. Bears fans are notorisously fair weather!! Go Colts! Even if Payton Manning is, in my opinion, arrogant.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:02 pm 
General User
General User

Oh, Deb, I don't think Peyton's arrogant? I love Peyton.

:D "They're not saying Boo, they're saying Mooooovers" :D

You want arrogant? :mad: Check out Tony Romo. :mad:

Peace

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:15 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Peyton is probably one of the classiest people in football......unless you think T.O is the class act.... :(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:40 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

People either love Peyton or find him arrogant. I do agree, he is classy, however with some arrogance. That's just how I view the gentleman. Believe it or not there are people that find Favre arrogant, I don't, again just my humble opinion. Regardless GO COLTS!!

P.S. Don't get me going on the likes of T. O.!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I agree with you Deb, some people like him, some don't.....just like any of the sports figures. I too say GO COLTS! I feel this is going to be the most lopsided SB that we have seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Have you forgotten how poorly the punt & kickoff coverage teams have performed for the Colts? Then compare the bears defense to that of the Colts.

bears win.

<small>[ January 27, 2007, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Bears!?! :roll: Care to make a little wager, Jeff? I'll take the Colts. Loser buys a steak sandwich at the Pine Tree! Whaddya say?

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:01 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Brian,
I'd love to see Tony Dungee win. He remains true to himself, despite all the blows life has sent him.

However I do think that the bears will play the underdog card into a win. We'll be in Tomahawk for a vacation on Lake Alice in August. We can make arrangements off the board here as to who buys & when!

Question: Straight up wageror do the Colts need to beat the point spread for you to win? (Colts favored by 7 right now.)

Jeff

<small>[ January 28, 2007, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

When this bet is "paid off", I'd like to invite all Tomahawk Leader Message Board participants to show up. It would be a blast to meet all of you!

But IF I'm buying anything, it's only a steak sandwich for Brian. Buy your own beer!!!!!

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:48 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Straight up. No points. Colts over Bears. This will be fun no matter how it turns out. Just be glad you don't have to feed Old Scout. I've heard that the All-You-Can-Eat buffet places around here try to lock the doors and turn out their lights when they see him coming... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:44 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
:D

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:19 pm 
General User
General User

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout:
Thought you might enjoy this.

Bears are winning, but they aren't winners

by Mike Vandermause
Source: PackersNews.com

Jan. 21, 2007

"The Bears are who we thought they were."

Thoughts about the Bears vary, but my guess is at least 99 percent of Packers fans will be rooting against them during the Superbowl.

If there's one theme that is shared universally among Packers fans, it's that the Bears always will stink.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. It has everything to do with a bitter rivalry that is 85 years old.

No doubt Bears fans are puffing out their chests this week with pride and looking down on the Packers. They should savor moments like this, because they have been so rare in recent years.

In the storied history of the NFL, the Packers have won more championships and playoff games than the Bears.

Chicago fans correctly will point out the Bears lead the all-time series with the Packers. They will fail to mention that much of that advantage was gained in the leather-helmet era. The Packers hold a 55-43 edge over the last 50 years, and have won 22 of the last 29 meetings.

Incredibly, the Packers have toppled the Bears on the road 12 of the last 13 games, including a 26-7 beat-down at Soldier Field less than three weeks ago. In those 12 victories, the Packers have won by an average of 12½ points. If you can't defend your home turf better than that, there is no basis for bragging rights of any kind.

Even now, when they are one victory short of a Super Bowl berth, the Bears suffer from a major case of insecurity. Bears players were whining this week about how they don't get enough respect.

Apparently they don't realize that respect must be earned. This is a team that won its first playoff game in 12 years last Sunday, and even then barely escaped in overtime, at home, against the injury-ravaged Seattle Seahawks.

It's hard to respect a team quarterbacked by Rex Grossman, who said after his miserable performance (0.0 passer rating) against the Packers on Dec. 31 that he didn't give 100 percent in preparation for the game. It was a bad excuse for his horrendous showing, and it spoke to his integrity that as a team leader, he would consider giving less than his best.

Even in the midst of a winning season, Grossman comes off looking like a loser.

And so it goes with the Bears.

Can you imagine the Packers' Brett Favre having that kind of attitude? It's unthinkable, and helps explain why the Bears have gone through 20 starting quarterbacks since Favre took over the Packers' offense in 1992.

Win or lose, the Bears are who we thought they were. Packers fans know exactly what I'm talking about
This is exactly one of the reasons I despise the Packers. The article came from PackersNews.com, yet the whole article was about the Bears and their shortcomings and the rivalry with the Packers. All the stats they shot out have nothing to do with the Superbowl. I know our QB struggles but this one was the most ignorant: "Grossman comes off looking like a loser. And so it goes with the Bears." Does Grossman make all the Bears losers? The winner of 3 out of the last 4 Division winners?
I think PackersNews.com should stick to the topic they claim to be knowledgeable about, the Packers. I can't wait for Midwest Outdoors magazine to start writing about the fishing in the Nile River!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS ! mullin 17 !
Lighten up :) !

(It may be the last time it happens in your lifetime.) ;)