PCA Landfill?

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Merse
General User
General User

PCA Landfill?

Postby Merse » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:32 pm

I'm seeing a lot of activity up at Mount PCA....

Can anyone tell me the details?

I'm curious as heck!

Thanks

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Re: PCA Landfill?

Postby Old Scout » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:24 am

looks like they are building a ski hill to pick up a little extra money during the winter. :D
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

jpiotrowski
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jpiotrowski » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:06 am

As the company's environmental engineer, I can directly and accurately respond to the question about 'what's up' at PCA's landfill.

The landfill is permitted to consist of seven cells, three of which have been constructed. The northernmost cell, along Hwy 86, is full and we are in the process of capping it. The capping involves a series of actions including grading the landfilled material to a predetermined final grade, compacting the graded surface, installing a flexible membrane, overtopping the membrane with several layers of sand, and finishing it off with a topsoil layer to support vegetation. Project work is expected to conclude in early November of this year.

The fourth landfill cell will be constructed in 2006.

Based on historic utilization rates, PCA forecasts that all seven landfill cells will be filled by about 2032.

Merse
General User
General User

Postby Merse » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:35 am

Thanks, John! That is one heckuva steep grade on the north side. I'm always a little freaked out when I see the trucks & tractors driving on it.

Will the other cells be as tall as the one I am seeing from 86? Or can't you determine that as yet.

Sure appreciate the info. Inquiring minds want to know!

Catfish
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Catfish » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:54 pm

I've got an idea. Maybe instead of building that fourth cell, we could throw all that fill into the 17 foot hole they called New Orleans. (I'm sure FEMA would pay for the trucking) Then in 2006 they can start rebuilding on it. Key West is at sea level and the highest and only elevation on the island is the landfill. We always wondered how many of us could camp up there during a storm surge. It was called 'garbage mountain'.

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”