Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hunter Chaney
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:25 am 
General User
General User

Do you think we should initiate a fund raiser to buy Chaney a Hunters education course? Also buy him a Quail stamp? ;)

Post subject: Re: Hunter Chaney
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:44 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

ODDS BODKINS !
Maybe he`s the "Weapon of Mass Destruction" Bush has been looking for??

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:58 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Why do you think they waited a nearly a day to report it? Were they waiting so Cheney would show no alcohol in his system if tested?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:39 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Sound to me like the media and the demacrats are making a mountain out of a mole hill and turning it into a circus just to try to get some political points. Accidents happen, and from what I hear it was handled properly by notifing the local athorities and and EMS. I really fail to see why he would have to call a press conference just so he could say "look what I did".

Question, if it happened to you what would you do. I am sure you would handle it the same way, and I really doubt you would call the media just so they could report it and probably get half the facts wrong besides.

It is getting to the point where they are starting to look really stupid in all the antics they use to try to make the President and Vice President look bad. Reminds me of a bunch of little kids fighting over a cookie, if I can't have it no-body can.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:37 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
Yeah, its pretty much the same thing the republicans did when Howard Dean screamed at that rally.

BUT, this incident did result in the number 1 funniest episode of the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:42 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Cheney was at fault, as the hunter, but the victim was also at fault. He did not follow safe hunting practices. He left the group and didn't announce his return.

It was an accident. The way the media acts you'd think Cheney pointed a rifle at the man and shot his head off.

Besides, he did shoot an attorney so it's not all bad :eek:

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Broca:
Why do you think they waited a nearly a day to report it? Were they waiting so Cheney would show no alcohol in his system if tested?
Given that Cheney is not an alcoholic and has no history as a problem drinker I seriously doubt that. I would bet his blood alcohol was probably about zero. Remember, just because drinking and hunting go hand in hand here in MN and WI they don't go hand in hand everywhere.

Cheney was darned either way, report it or let others report it. :roll:

Disclaimer: I am not a Republican and did not vote for Bush/Cheney. I am not a Democrat and did not vote for Kerry either.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by NurseNell:
Given that Cheney is not an alcoholic and has no history as a problem drinker I seriously doubt that. I would bet his blood alcohol was probably about zero. Remember, just because drinking and hunting go hand in hand here in MN and WI they don't go hand in hand everywhere.

[/QUOTE]

You are correct Nell in that unlike Bush, Cheney is not a confessed alcoholic, however, he was busted for drunken driving twice in the '60s and he has stated that he does not avoid drinking.

With anyone else authorities would have determined the state of sobriety as soon as possible. And instead of a free ride he would have got a fine for not having the proper bird stamp/permit.

If his victim has another heart attack as a result of the shooting and dies, should Cheney get a free pass?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
You are correct Nell in that unlike Bush, Cheney is not a confessed alcoholic, however, he was busted for drunken driving twice in the '60s and he has stated that he does not avoid drinking.
Jeeze, if we consider people guilty based on stuff they did 40 years ago a lot of people are in trouble, maybe even you. :D I do not drink, have never had a ounce of alcohol and then driven, have never smoked, and have never used any illegal drugs but you know what? I am in the minority. So, have you ever driven after drinking? If so you are as guilty as Cheney. Have you ever hunted and drank? I know A LOT of Tomahawk hunters who drink and hunt. Being in Tomahawk in hunting season was always scary.

Cheney should be held to the same standards as anyone else, based on today, not 1960. He should have had a blood alcohol drawn, as should the victim. Perhaps they both did, who knows. He should be fined and will be if the media is correct. What he doesn't need is to be crucified. How would you feel if YOU accidently shot a FRIEND? I imagine Cheney feels just as bad. If Cheney were not Vice President this would not even be a 1 liner in a podunk Texas paper.

IF the victim dies and IF his death is related to the injury the charge would be negligent manslaughter, not 1st degree murder. The victim is 78 and chances are he will die sometime in the next 22 years and I'm sure there will be those who blame Cheney, even if Cheney has long since died from his coronary artery disease. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

This article just came out speculating on what happens if the victim dies.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060215/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_legal_4;_ylt=Anhux._MPvyMLSwIzRxkj6ZqP0AC;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
This article just came out speculating on what happens if the victim dies.
Hmmm, interesting. I said the same basic thing.

Now Broca, about your drinking and driving, no comment? Does that mean, like me, you do not drink and have never drove after even a sip of alcohol, or are you in the same situation as Cheney, a past that includes drinking and driving?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:03 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout, What would I have done, you or most other people? If it was your friend and it was an unfortunate accident, I or you, or just about anyone would have been at the hospital, sitting in the hall, eating cafeteria food instead of eating at the ranch. He stayed in hiding there until the next morning. He even told the cops to make an appointment for the next morning. Wow, you or I would have been picked up, questioned and made to blow in a breathalizer right away.
Imagine this: One of the brothers in the ghetto shoots another brother. The cops come and say, "Where's Jamal?" Another brother tells them, "He's busy now, come back in the morning."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:21 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Five deferments to avoid the draft during the Vietnam conflict to get out of shooting people and now he takes it up.

There are more important issues for the media such as the lies and deception leading up to the Bush/Cheney wars that are bleeding the American Taxpayers dry while financially destroying the country. But they prefer some mishap among elderly rich boys.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:01 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
There are more important issues for the media such as the lies and deception leading up to the Bush/Cheney wars that are bleeding the American Taxpayers dry while financially destroying the country. But they prefer some mishap among elderly rich boys.
Isn't that the truth!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:04 am 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: My Hometown
what gets me is the way these guys "hunt".....rather than go into the woods, find (thus the "hunting" part) some quail, and shoot them, they drive out onto a ranch in their nice comfy car, to where the quail are held in captivity, wait for quail to be flushed out, then shoot.

I wonder if these guys have aquariums to go fishing in as well.