Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Perhaps I'm just blind
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I've been driving on Hwy 86 and have noticed that before the cranberry bogs there is a dirt road with a sign that says "Desert Storm" or something along those lines. Can anyone give me some info on what that is, or who constructed it? The print on the sign is too small for my rapidly weakening eyes and there's always a car behind me so I can't slow down to read it. Just curious. It might have been in the Leader at some point, but I may have accidentally skimmed over it. Always interested in the haps of my hometown, whenever I make it home. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
It is my understanding, and someone can correct or embelish as they see fit, that one of our Tomahawk veterans is creating a memorial whereby he places a rock for every service member killed in the line of duty in Iraq since operation Desert Shield.

I forget who the gentleman is, I have seen him out there working on it, but I have never stopped to ask.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

His name is Carl Pfeifer. That lot on the corner before the cranberry farm is on the corner of Pfeifer Road and 86. Pfeifer Road is named after him. He grew up in the house on the right going down the road. He doesn't live there anymore but plays in his lot on the corner alot. People always said that he was some sort of nut. Probably because he's the guy that runs around town in the pickup truck with all the religious signs on it. I mowed his lot with a brush hog this summer and found him to be quite normal in his personality.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:16 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks for letting me know! I saw him working on it once but didn't stop as well. Enjoy the warm weather we are having while it lasts!