Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tomahawk Woman's Death
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:56 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

We will miss u Jamie! What is happening to people these days? All this violence and people dieing! R.I.P.
Jamie Rumsey
1987-2006
Gone...But Not Forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:12 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by rehab21389:
What is happening to people these days? All this violence and people dying!
The death of a young person is always tragic. A death that could have been prevented is doubly tragic.

Where were her friends when a real friend was needed?

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

1st of all, saying "where were her friends when a real friend was needed" that was a dick move! I think that pretty much everybody in Tomahawk loved Jamie(R.I.P) very much so. The other statement is true about that it could have been prevented, but dont you think that we are already in enough pain knowing that we lost somebody that we loved dearly? now you adding that comment just makes no sense, you're lucky that a lot of people don't read these message boards otherwise you would have a lot of ****ed off people at you for that statement! but im outty so peace out!!
God Rest Jamie Rumsey's Soul, we all loved her very much, and i hope she is looking down on us right now making sure we are all safe!!! we all hope she is in a better place now!

Lates!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:34 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Candyman06,
I am sorry for your grief, but you are web slapping the most humane, socially aware, true caring individual we have on this web page.

Nurse Nell is truly a nurse. She is active in social work to South America. She has adopted kids to improve their lives while dealing with her own personal health issues.

Reread Nell's post. Look at her history. Look at your issues. She isn't trash talking the loss of your friend.

Be thankful that folks like Nurse Nell exist in your lifetime.

<small>[ October 31, 2006, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
This is a sad case of an accident that could possibly have been prevented three ways.
1. Speed - apparently she was going too fast and missed the curve.
2. Not wearing a seat belt, a seat belt would have kept her from being ejected.
3. Was alcohol a factor, at that time of the morning that is a strong possibility.

It is a sad situation that should not have happened.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:30 pm 
General User
General User

Candyman06, I agree with Nurse Nell - and THANKS Jeff, for standing up.

I don't know the details of young Jamie's death. I don't know if alcohol was a factor.

BUT One thing my dad always told me, and I have told my children: If you need a ride, call me. I don't care what time, I don't care how far. DO NOT drive or ride in a car with someone who's been drinking.

I put huge emphasis on the fact that there will be NO repercussions, NO questions asked, it will NEVER be spoken of again. Just call me, and I will come get you.

Now, that being said, it is still inherent upon my child to actually call me. To take a stand and defy his friends, or to realize he's too drunk to drive.

That's a lot to ask of anyone, and probably more so of a younger person.

I think what Nell was trying to say, is that it's a double-shame that IF she was too impaired to drive, Jamie couldn't call someone, didn't call someone, or that someone didn't step in and stop her from driving.

It is a tragic loss, and followed closely to another tragic loss, the young Foreign Exchange Student from Merrill. Too sad, how preventable these deaths may have been.

Peace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Even more than just for your children...

Let friends know you'll go get them, or heck, your kids friends. Let your kids who are old enough to drive know they can borrow a car to go pick up friends who need a ride, etc.

In my group of college friends it was known that I was always willing to go get people if they needed it. That meant a couple of 2:30 AM calls and even a few rides to people I didn't even know but everyone made it home safely! For some kids it's going to be easier to call their buddy or their buddy's parents than to call their own.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:06 am 
Beginner
Beginner

you know what, im sorry for the comments that i made, i wasnt trying to be a mean person, but jamie was my friend, and to hear somebody talk of her and say that statement just wasnt making any sense to me at all, bcuz im not to sure if anybody talking of jamie on this board even knew who she was personally... im sorry for all of the discomfort i may have caused, i just cant stand people talking about somebody that they didnt even know, but once again i do apologize, but i just wanted everybody who read this board to realize that jamie was a friend of tomahawk, and i wasnt about to let one of my good friends get bashed over the internet after her death, but i hope that everybody has a good one! ttyl everybody!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 am 
General User
General User

I appreciate your apology, and your explanation too.

I am sorry for your loss.

Peace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:45 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Candyman,
I think Jamie was somewhat active on this board about a year ago, so we did know that she was a special young woman.

Pray. It will help you with this unfortunate loss of a friend.

Jeff

<small>[ November 02, 2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:05 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

There is no reason this happens to someone and their family and friends, but when it does there is no blame on anyone, just remeber the good times and what a special person she was and always will be remembered for.. @

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:15 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Jeff, not the same Jamie. However, the Jamie in mention here was a special young woman. I have many special memories of Jamie and time spent with the Rumsey family.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Jamie was indeed a very special person who had much to give.

I too share the frustration and grief from this PREVENTABLE crash as it took from us a great person.

Get mad at me if you want, but I have seen more then most the devestation that poor choices can make when it comes to alcohol and motor vehicles.

<small>[ November 08, 2006, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***