Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sledding in Tomahawk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Is there any place in Tomahawk to go sledding?

Post subject: Re: Sledding in Tomahawk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:09 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
You betcha! Frenchtown Park is great for tubing and sledding (or will be if we get some snow) and it's free. If you know your way around town - go one block south past Charlie's Self Serve on HWY 86, turn right just after the tracks, then go one block west and make a left turn. Continue to the top of the hill. Frenchtown Park is on your right.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:16 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The area of Bradley park by Mirror lake has some great hills. That's where we always went we I was a kid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:46 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I know just where you mean Old Scout, have you hiked back in there in recent years. It is really grown up! Lots of big mature trees. I'm not sure how safe the tubing or sledding would be. My kids called that area of Bradley Park the Army/Navy hill. Can anyone shed a light on how that name came about? I know they didn't make it up.

Brian, thanks for the memories, when we first moved to Tomahawk our boys spend hours tubing at Frenchtown park. Ohhh, how I miss Tomahawk and Bradley Park!! Especially more so when I've been out shopping in Eau Claire this past week and cross paths with Tomahawk kids attending school at UW-EC. Merry Christmas to all.

<small>[ December 16, 2006, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:53 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Merrill has a nice long and fast sledding hill at Lion's Park. Lit up at night.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:20 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Hi Deb,

There were a lot of big mature trees then too. I remember a couple of times when I missed the turn at the bottom of the hill and left a face print on the bark of one of the trees. But is was fun and we always went back for another trip. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Oh my gosh Scout, that's your face print now at eye level?!?!? I know my kids biked down those hills, this I've learned only in recent years. Had I known then they would not have seen the light of day for weeks. Bradley Park has provided many hours of adventure for the kids of Tomahawk. I hope that someday I'm able to take our grandson there to explore!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:56 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Catfish,
If Lions park is the one with the rope tow back up the hill, I spent many great weekends there with my cousins who lived in Merrill.

A fine sledding hill indeed!!!! I left no face prints, but took away MANY bruises from the jumps we made on the hill.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:11 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Just a shame the old toboggan slide had to be torn down. It was quite high and went from the top of the hill to Mirror lake so you had enough speed to make it almost across the lake. As I recall there were four hills we used. The one where the road comes in from French town, the one to the east of the lake and both sides of the one where the road goes out to the north gate. It got really wild when kids were coming down from three directions at once ! ! :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I remember the toboggan slide at Mirror Lake. It was in bad shape when I used it a few times as a kid about 7 years old. You could get some good speed going down the slide and make some good distance if a path was made on the lake. Bradley Park also had some other good 'runs' between the trees near the lake. You just had to watch out for the pines at the bottom of the run.

There was also the log cabin near the slide. I think it burnt down a couple years after the slide was torn down.

I missed the heydays of the toboggan slide and the cabin and that whole social scene but still had a great time in Bradley Park all the same. It was a paradise for a young kid. This was in the mid 50s.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jeff, the tow rope is no longer there. However that is a very nice sledding hill. It is fast and there aren't any dangers of trees to run into on the bottom, so is safe for young ones as well. The kids still make a few cool jumps on it each year. There is also a skating rink there with a nice warm changing shack. It is even fun to go and watch the acrobatic types doing their flips over those jumps with their sno-boards. You can sit in your car and see the whole hill to watch your kids.