Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:48 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Vacationer
Hi. I'm looking for a little help. 25 yrs ago we used to stay at a resort on Lake Nokomis. I believed it was called Viking Resort and owned by Carl Dingle. It had a bar in front and had mobile homes on lake front. Can someone let me know if it still there and where was the resort located on the lake. I'm driving up in April and would appreciate any information. I tried the Chamber of Commerce but every I spoke to was young to remember!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Nokomis Pilgrim...If you don't get any direct information on the resort you're looking for you could go to the Tomahawk Chamber Of Commerce web site and try calling a couple of the Lake Nokomis resorts that are listed there and you might get lucky and find to someone who has been around long enough to help you. Just a suggestion...good luck.
http://www.gototomahawk.com/lodging.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Or you could look at the website that actually helps support this message board...

TravelTomahawk.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:14 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I remember Viking Resort and Carl Dingle. I was not living in Tomahawk at the time, however he was a friend of my family. Prior to owning Viking Resort he owned a bar in Brandon, WI. My mother recalls his daughter Dawn, she may still be living in the Tomahawk area. It had to be 35-40 years ago when we stopped to visit. I don't believe that it's still running as a resort. Carl Dingle and his wife have long since passed away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:25 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb:
Carl was great. Do you recall his wifes name? My dad did'nt like to fish, go figure, Carl used to bang on the mobile home door at 4:30am to take me fishin for walleyes. This was around late 70's. I remember how his wife at that time was not in the best of health. The last time I saw him was around 1990 at the resort. I was shocked then to see him still tending to things. I have a few pictures of the resort. I also remember a great supper club at the point on the lake. I'm really trying to find out where on the lake the resort was located. It may have been off of Rt 8. I saw some maps of the lake but dont see any familar structures. Thanks for your response.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:37 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
It was off of old 51 and 8 maybe. I'll be speaking with my mother again soon, she will remember for sure the location, as well as Carl's wife. For some reason Marlene is in my head but that could be wrong. We would have been there in the late 60's sometime. It was just for a day visit. My grandparents lived on Somo Lake at the time. Back in the late 50's, early 60's the Dingle's had a bar in Brandon, WI. My parents had a bar in Brandon during the late 50's as well. That's how they knew the Dingle's. Thanks Nokomis Pilgrim for the blast from the past!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb:
My Mother believes Carl wifes name was Dawn. Also, the name of the Supper club was Phil's. Getting closer. Will wait for your response on location of the Viking Resort.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:08 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I am 99 % sure that the Viking Resort was located on Heafford Road. Which at that time would have been off of US Hwy 51, now it is Cth L. Near the Oneida Lincoln county Line... Phils, which is now Bootleggers would have been accross the bay on the lake.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:33 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Pac:
Do you know what is on the Viking resort location now? Is is knocked down? I looked at the Google satellite photo. I could not make anything out. The shore line did look familiar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:26 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Pac-man is correct. A Google search for Viking Resort / Nokomis reveals that the Dingels (that's how it's spelled) Viking Resort was located at 12096 N Heafford Rd. I'm not sure of its fate, but many of the area resorts are converting to condominium arrangements... the land and cabins are worth more divided than the market price an operating resort owner can afford.

A bit of shameless self promotion here, but it is fascinating to research the history of area resorts and businesses. Several people have sent me or referred me to photos of The Windmill they have found on Ebay or other sources. I've posted them at the bottom of the page at www.windmillicecream.com

Ebay searches for our Lake Nokomis (besides the ones in Minnesota and Iowa) often reveal pictures, postcards, brochures, maps, matchbooks, and other items related to area resorts and attractions in their hay day. Items related to Deer Trail, Phil's, Robinsons, etc... are often listed.

<small>[ March 27, 2007, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: Russell ]</small>