Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flag theft.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
I am sickened by the theft of the Flag off of the flagpole at Memorial Park, just sickened. The Flag means so much to so many people, and even more to me being so far away from it. I don't know for what purpose they took the flag, but I hope they treat the flag with the respect that she deserves.

Please let me know the address of the American Legion and I will personally send to them a flag flown over Camp Anaconda Iraq to replace the one that was taken!

I can be e-mailed at MedicDVG@gmail.com

Dean Goulet
Camp Anaconda
Balad, Iraq

Note: I edited my previous remarks as they were less then gentlemanly.

<small>[ January 31, 2007, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

Post subject: Re: Flag theft.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:23 pm 
General User
General User

American Legion Post #93
327 W Wisconsin Ave. Tomahawk, Wi. 54487
Post #93 would be very appreciative recieving a Flag from Iraq. God bless & protect you MEN.
Jim Likwarz Past Adjutant Post #93

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:51 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
I am amazed -- from this small message board I received nearly a dozen emails with the information.

I spoke to the commander of the American Legion post by phone yesterday who said he would be honored to accept the flag on behalf of the community and the Tomahawk Legion.

Stay safe and God Bless America!

Dean Goulet
Camp Anaconda
Balad Iraq

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
Dean, you rock! you also made the news with the story. Thank you for this tremendous offer. Bless you on your journey over there. Come back soon & safe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:42 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I am absolutely appalled that someone could steal the American Flag from a memorial which honors the MEN and WOMEN (Mr. Likwarz) who fought for our freedom past and present.

Thank you, Mr. Dean Goulet for such a generous gift. Thank you for continuing to fight for our freedom. God Bless & protect all Veterans, Soldiers and Americans!

Monica J. Randall
American Legion Post #93
Tomahawk, Wi. 54487

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:11 am 
General User
General User

mrandall: I sincerely appollogise for saying MEN. It was not intended as a slight of the magnificent military contributions of our women in the Military. :o

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
If the person is found, instead of turning him in to the Police, can a few of us Veterans take him aside and show him the error of his ways !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:58 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Old Scout:
If the person is found, instead of turning him in to the Police, can a few of us Veterans take him aside and show him the error of his ways !
Hahahaha... I can remember a few "Motivational" discussions by the senior NCO's when I was briefly in uniform. Some of the best lessons I learned BTW.

Anyway. I have sent the flag from here on Saturday so I would think Tomahawk will receive it in the next few weeks.

Dean Goulet
Balad, Iraq

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:16 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Scout,
Somehow I like your solution the best!

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:11 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Can anyone tell me if the Flag has arrived in Tomahawk yet. It has been about 2 weeks since I sent it and it should be arriving soon if it hasn't already.

Thanks,
Dean Goulet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Old Scout, great idea and has already been done. Couldn't believe my eyes. Several years back I was at a little league baseball game watching my son's game. All of a sudden this weirdo goes strutting out onto the playing field and heads out to the center field wall where the scoreboard was mounted and on the block wall was an aluminum flag pole with "Old Glory" flying in the breeze. This yahoo climbs up on the wall and procedes to climb the flag pole like a monkey. He gets up far enough to reach the flag and pulls out a "Bic" lighter and starts to light the flag on fire. Several fathers on the bleachers from each team were veterans and ran out to the wall and pulled him down and began wailing on him. By the time the cops got there he was in pretty bad shape. He kept shouting at the polce saying how this crowd beat him. This HUGE black man who was one of the veterans and father of the pitcher, told the police the guy was climbing up the poll and slipped after lighting the flag and fell down onto the wall. The cop told the bum that was what sometimes happens when you slip off a pole doing an idiot stunt like that, and asked him if he wanted a ride to jail or the hospital. Instant justice is alive and well in Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A commentary published in the Feb. 27 Tomahawk Leader:

For Lincoln County veterans and all citizens who honor and understand what flying the American flag represents, who have expressed their frustration and anger over the theft of that which stands for freedom and patriotism – it has arrived.
Just a few weeks ago, news of the stolen American flag from the Lincoln County monument in Veteran’s Memorial Park reached Tomahawk resident, Dean Goulet, who currently is providing medical services to our Iraqi Freedom military personnel at Camp Anaconda in Balad, Iraq.

On Sunday, March 4, Goulet’s response will have traveled halfway around the world and will be lifted into the sky above Tomahawk, as Lincoln County veterans perform a ceremonial flag raising with a replacement flag that previously flew over Camp Anaconda.

Goulet had been working as a paramedic in Tomahawk before leaving for Iraq in December. Upon learning of the stolen flag, he contacted veterans from Lincoln County and said he would personally secure and send a replacement. For many, his prompt patriotic gesture alleviated much of the frustration that came from this senseless crime.

Goulet won’t return from Iraq until sometime later this year, but his message will flutter in the wind above Tomahawk to remind us of those currently serving and dying for this country and those who had served and died in the past while defending our freedoms.

The public is encouraged to attend the ceremonial
flag raising, which will begin at 1 p.m.

While a criminal took the American flag from Veteran’s Park, he wasn’t able to take what those colors represent. Be proud.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Amen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:40 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I am gratified that Old Glory will once again fly over Tomahawk. I am honored and humbled to be able to provide Tomahawk with this flag.

I have been asked on numerous occasions to put my thoughts down on what the American Flag means to me, and I have not done so up to this point, for words alone can not describe what emotions I have for this country and its flag.

Every day in the world there people living in fear. Fear of reprisal for their politics, race, religion, or fundamental beliefs. These people are crushed under the heels of the powerful with no hope of rescue.

To me, the flag represents a promise to those people that there will come a day when the fear is gone. There will come a day when they can stand on a street corner and cry out for change. A promise that there will be a day when they can sing, pray, gather, or even just live, without the prospect of jeopardy of their lives or personal freedoms. A promise that there will be a time where jails are not full of those that speak the unpopular truth, or because of the color of their skin, or their heritage.

The flag is a symbol of this promise, especially here in Iraq. I pray that someday soon the people in Iraq can gather together in some park somewhere and raise a flag of their own, in peace.

So when someone stole the flag, to me it broke that sacred promise. That act sullied the commitment of the fine men and women serving over here in who live and breathe that promise daily for the people of Iraq.

I could not, in good conscience, leave that promise in question.

So that is why I sent the flag, that is why I am here, serving as a healer. I am no great hero, I am just a man doing what I believe in, and to the best of my ability.

I Thank you all very much for the extremely kind words of support. But don't thank me alone. I am just a small part of that promise - the rest is up to us all.

Sincerely,
Dean Goulet
LSA Anaconda
Balad, Iraq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:31 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I received word today that someone attempted to steal the flag again from Memorial Park. Is this true? If it is I am in a near fury!

So please, the following words are to the person who is responsible:

If this is a prank, it is **** sure not at all funny. I want you to look at the pictures of the flag ceremony. I want you to look and see the reverence that Mr. Nyberg offered that simple piece of cloth, hugged close to his heart. Did you know that they asked my mother to hold the flag up to her cheek, to breathe on it as if to give the flag a spirit of its own? Did you see the tears flowing unashamed from grown men and women? Did you feel the pride that rode along side the flag when it was raised proudly to the top of the pole? Maybe if you had, then you too would understand the deep emotion that the flag and what it represents stirs deep in within these veterans. If you did, then maybe then you will understand what you take away from these proud men and women who serve our country and how you insult their dedication. Maybe then you will see the pain you cause even to people 10,000 miles away with your selfishness.

I don't give a **** if you don't support the current war. I don't care if you think our President is a complete idiot. Frankly, I don't even care if you care for what I think. That is what is great about America is that we can agree to disagree.

However, I most vehemently do care that you wish to protest your displeasure with an asinine, immature, and selfish so-called prank. The blood of patriots is flowing over Iraq so you can have the freedom to voice your displeasure in a healthy and open format -- not by demeaning the value of the sacrifice of those here through amoral behavior.

I am a healer, and I am looking deep in my heart to forgive you, but also know that the hurt you cause with this act is nigh impossible to heal and very difficult to forgive.

If you want a flag so bad, I would be happy to proivide one to you as well. One that has flown proudly in the dirt, smoke, and in honor of our bravest Americans. To them the flag is not just some piece of cloth, but it is a concept worth dying for, it is a promise worth fighting for. In fact, when I get home in December, I will personally deliver it to you where you can look me in the eyes and prove you are worthy of this national treasure. I am curious as to what I will see.

Don't you dare blaspheme this sacred trust.

To the rest of Tomahawk, I ask vigilance. I ask that you protect the flag which stands for all of those of us here in Iraq who are protecting you.

Thank you.

Dean Goulet
LSA Anaconda
Balad, Iraq

<small>[ March 27, 2007, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:00 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Medic, I have not heard this at all. I really hope it is not true. From what has been said, the area is being well patrolled & watched. I don't think it is going to happen again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:02 am 
Contributor
Contributor

WOW!! I cannot believe that this happened again. Well Medic, I put to much trust in people - I did not think anyone could be so low as to continue this! This is not a "funny" joke, it is down right disrespectful & degrades our community.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

If I were to hazard a guess, and would rely on my gut feeling, I would say this was done by a younger goth or banger, or some new kind of hippy. If that was the case, this person has it on display somewhere as his 'trophy'. If a hefty reward of let's say around $250 BUCKS was offered anonymously, with the name of the tipster being held anonymous, I would think some little traitor to his friend, would consider the cash very strongly. In this day and age, I know that if our teenager was in touch with $250 to go to the mall with, it would be like dying and going to heaven. Who is to pay the $250 ??? I am sure that there are 250 people in Tomahawk that would anti up one dollar each to be dropped off at the Chamber of Commerce or the Police Station for the reward fund. Most likely some would even anti up five bucks. Let's get a fund together and bust this little cowardly creep. May God have mercy on him when he crosses the street in front of a truck. This totally useless piece of society.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:39 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Catfish has a great idea. I would be willing to contribute $100 to a reward fund for the person who turns in information which leads to the apprehension, arrest, and conviction of the cowards who are stealing the flags. If someone local sets up the fund at the Chamber or Police Station or one of the banks my check would be in the mail that same day.

I just can't believe that this is happening in my hometown. I also don't understand how these people are getting away with this. What are the police doing about it? The article in the Leader states that the police are 'stepping up surveillance' and recommends 'removing flags at night'. Is that the answer...to hide your Flag because you can't fly it after dark. If we have to do that, why the heck fly it at all, after all it might get wet...

Have the police any clues or suspects? Has anyone come forward with information? Has the mayor and city council put pressure on the police to solve this outrageous crime?

What the **** is going on in Tomahawk anyway? This is insane !!! I'll bet a reward would overturn the rock these rats are hiding under...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:26 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I would be happy to contribute to this reward. If that is what it takes to catch this scumball . Would the police would handle this. The only problem I see is how do you identify a flag. They kind of all look alike.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:42 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

It doesn't matter where you live. There's always going to be some insecure twit out there who is going to wet his/her pants in excitement over the public consternation they cause by defacing or stealing something treasured by the community.
They MUST be important, because look at all the fuss they caused!!!

If a reward would help catch this doofus, I'll contribute too.

<small>[ April 05, 2007, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:03 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

So there you go. Only an hour on the board and Ken Martell, Old Scout, and Jeff Boettcher have already said they'd contribute to a reward fund. I'm sure that if this would be put in place locally in the paper and on WJJQ there wouldn't be much of a problem getting contributors. Just think if this fund became $500 to a $1000 how fast the little creep would be turned on. I do believe the tipster should be assured that his so called friend would not, and could not find out who turned him in. Else wise the tipster would be in fear of future retaliation. A large amount of money does wonders for motivation. As far as a large sum goes, Ken mentioned $100, I'll bet there are at least 5 or 10 more Kens around. There's $500 to a thou already. But we shouldn't forget about the 250 one dollar to five dollar contributors. It all adds up. Let's do it!! Let's "Just Say No" to this anti-community action.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tell me where to send the check. $100 is a small price to pay. There are people here paying in blood.

Also, someone tell Paster Gass that if he should desire a new flag, one from here, I again would be honored to provide one.

<small>[ March 28, 2007, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:49 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I dont read this website very often due to the fact that I am currently deployed in support of the war, however the last 2 times I have been able to take a look, the headlines have stated that a flag has been stolen. It truly sickens me to think that someone could do something as folish or inconsiderate! I would like to add more about the punishement someone should endure for doing this, however it may be inappropriate for others to read.

r/
Nick Ellis
Iraq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:24 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow, those words from Medic on his last post hit home hard and bring tears to my eyes. "There are people here paying in blood." That's all that needs to be said for our community to catch this thief. Our motivation to catch this thief not only lies with the apprehension of the thief but our loyalty to our sons and daughters in Iraq that are in harms way, paying in blood. What a travesty, dishonoring our own. Who is this creep?