Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Flag theft.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:56 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
Nick,
Welcome!
Where in Iraq are you, (if you can say that is) -- If you get over to Anaconda... look me up.

Stay safe brother!

Dean Goulet
LSA Anaconda.

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:35 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I have a couple of updates on the theft of flags in Tomahawk.

First; The flag was stolen last night from in front of the Historical Society Museum.

Second; The Lincoln County Veterans Memorial Committee, Representing all Veterans of Lincoln County and concerned citizens are willing to support the reward for the person who provides the information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the theft. The name of the person will remain anonymous.

Donations can be sent to;

Lincoln County Veterans Memorial Fund

In care of.

Veterans Representative
Gordon Lovsletten
P.O. Box 303
Tomahawk, WI 54487

Donations can also be dropped of at the American Legion Post in Tomahawk after 4:00 PM.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Old Scout...thank you very much for the information on the reward fund. My check will be in the mail as soon as I get home after work today.

Is there anyway that we can get the 'reward fund' idea into the hardcopy version of next weeks Tomahawk Leader? Kerry, can you help with this?

btw...Gordon Lovsletten was a year ahead of me in high school and I remember him slightly but I have seen his name mentioned in the last couple years concerning community involvement, etc. in Tomahawk. I feel very good about seeing his name mentioned with the Veterans group in this endeavor.

If there's anything I can do to push our case forward please let me know...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

A publice service announcement request has been sent to the Leader, WJJQ, and the Foto News. Word should be out real soon about the reward.

The information will also be on Chan. 9 news at 5, 6, and 10:00. I also will be sending it to Chan. 12 in Rhinelander.

<small>[ March 28, 2007, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:11 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

This has been quite the thread. First total disgust, then tears in the eyes, then goosebumps over the thought of this community rallying together to get this reward fund actually on line with so many connections to the media. Old Scout, I and the rest of our community have to commend you and anyone else that helped get this moving. Great work. I thought that the Leader and WJJQ would have been our contacts, but the Wausaw News Channels are a true bonus. Thanks again from all that are concerned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Nick & Dean, May God bless you & keep you safe.

Thanks Scout. Donation will be on the way.

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
http://www.waow.com/News/index.php?ID=10276

13 Flags!!! C'mon, someone HAS to know something. I have no idea who this miscreant is, but I want 10 minutes alone with them when it is found out who.

My dontation is on the way. Takes about 14 days.. Hopefully this will be over by then.

<small>[ March 29, 2007, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:38 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Here's an interesting idea.... June 14th is normally celebrated as national Flag Day. How about if we dedicate say the 7th or 14th of April (or some other convenient day) this year as Flag Day In Tomahawk.

EVERYBODY in town could display the Flag outside their home or business with pride on this newly created local holiday. It could be something as simple as those little kid flags that we wave during the 4th of July parade or something larger like a 3 x 5 Flag. The idea is to fly the Flag!!! This doesn’t need to be a formalized ‘holiday’…it could be a grassroots demonstration.

This would not only make people more aware of this disgusting problem with the stolen Flags but it would also raise people’s awareness and consciousness of the importance of respecting all that the Flag means.

I think ANYTHING that keeps this problem in the forefront will help flush out those cowards.

Comments / suggestions ?!?!

...and MedicDVG…if you don't get home soon you may have to wait in line. Hey, maybe we could have a raffle, with the proceeds going to the Lincoln County Veterans Memorial Fund, to see who gets to ‘thank’ the perpetrator first when he’s caught.

Thank you and Nick Ellis for your service….

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Lincoln County Veterans Memorial Committee is offering an $850 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual or individuals responsible for the theft of 13 American flags in the community of Tomahawk. The name of the person providing the information will remain anonymous. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Tomahawk Police Department.

Since the theft of the American flag from Veteran’s Memorial Park in Tomahawk in January, a rash of stolen flags have been reported, including one from Redeemers Evangelical Lutheran Church, the Tomahawk Historical Society and several residential homes throughout the city.

The majority of thefts have occurred within the last two weeks, and the Tomahawk Police Department is asking the public to become vigilant in watching over areas in the city where American flags are constantly flown. The department has stepped up its efforts in an attempt to apprehend the criminal(s). Police also are asking residents to either remove flags during nighttime hours or make sure ropes and wires used to fly them are raised so they are out of easy reach.

Ed Nyberg, Lincoln County Veteran’s Memorial Committee member, said the $850 reward is being offered as a way to end the crime spree that has not only upset his fellow veterans, but the entire community, too.

“This needs to be stopped. It’s an insult to our ideals as Americans,” he said. “Our flags are flown to honor those who have, those who will and those who this day are defending our country’s freedoms.”

Nyberg said the committee had previously considered dropping charges if someone had come forward in admitting the theft of the first flag, but now the criminal(s) will be punished to the full extent of the law.

The Lincoln County Veteran’s Memorial Committee is accepting checks to increase the reward money that leads to an arrest and conviction. To make a donation, send checks to: Lincoln County Veteran’s Memorial Committee, Veterans Representative, Gordon Lovsletten, P.O. Box 303, Tomahawk, WI 54487.

Donations can also be dropped of at the American Legion Post on West Wisconsin Avenue in downtown Tomahawk after 4 p.m.

(Editor's note: We are working on a story/stories for this week's Tomahawk Leader and will post some comments and ideas presented here in that issue as well. Thanks for any input.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I like the idea of flying the flag as a sign of solidarity and that we as a community will not be bullied.

The flag of this country represents that we as a nation will not be subject to the tyranny of another power on this globe; Let us use the power of the flag to be a prominent symbol that we as a community will also not be deterred by the parties responsible for these senseless thefts.

Let freedom ring; let the flags fly!

<small>[ March 30, 2007, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:00 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I can't put into words how angry this flag stealing ordeal had made me. It's all so senseless. I would not be surprised if it isn't one person or group of persons, but copy cat theft. I can't imagine the feeling that this has stirred for MedicDVG or nkellis. Thanks gentleman for your sacrifices!! Maybe these idiots that have stolen the flags when caught should be sent to boot camp and then Iraq. Better yet, no boot camp, no training, no weapon, just their own wit. Apparently, whom ever they are, think they are very smart. Send them by military transport and parachute them in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry to keep venting to this board. But I wanted to show you all something.

The following picture is of "Hero's Highway" at the Air Force Theater Hospital here on Anaconda. The highway connects the Medevac landing zone to the Emergency Entrance of the hospital. Every wounded soldier that comes to the AFTH passes through that arch. I have seen strong men cry after seeing that. That is why the flag means so much to me; There are men and women who are paying the price for our freedom with their very being.

http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=herohighwayjy2.jpg

<small>[ March 30, 2007, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: MedicDVG ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:27 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
MedicDVG, NEVER, I said NEVER, say you are sorry for your feelings. You have every right to vent over this flag stealing idiocies. Thanks for sharing the link, I've sent it off to my e-mail buddies and have asked them to send it off as well. Godspeed MedicDVG.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:56 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Medic,

Keep venting! People need to hear it!!!

Keep up the good work and best wishes,

Kerry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:59 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Medic, ditto on no apologies needed for venting. On the contrary of what you're apologizing for, you are, in fact, an inspiration to us all back home to carry this ball all the way. I'm sure what with all the regular daily duties you are engaged in it must be frustrating to not be back home dealing with this situation along with us. But rest assured, we are working on your behalf. All we ask of you is to come back home safely to us because you are one fine man, becoming involved right from the start, sending that first flag. Amen!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:19 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement.

I just get so frustrated that someone is doing this. I am 10,000 miles away, and can only rage on an internet message board. I don't feel like an inspiration, I feel impotent, small, and angry.

If you could see the look in the face of the broken, bruised, battle weary soldier when they go through that arch, you would see a transformation that is incredible. I have seen stooped and weary men stand tall and proud. I have seen the dying comforted. I have seen the power that the symbol of a flag can do to those in need of healing.

To them that huge flag shows them that their country has their back. That there is a reason for their pain and their sacrifice. That there is the promise that what they do has value, that there is a reward at the end of all this madness and chaos that we see here on a daily basis.

I die a little each time these brave warriors come through the hospital; women, and men alike; red, yellow, black or white -- American heroes each and every last one of them. I can tell you that I will never look at a helicopter the same ever again. These brave souls are paying in blood our price of admission for the privilege to be Americans.

The person(s) taking the flags in Tomahawk aren't even fit to be in the same room with them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Dean,
I am located at Al Asad currently, this is my 3rd tour here in the middle east and have about 8 1/2 months to go. My email address is nicholas.ellis@gcemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil. Feel free to shoot me an email.

Nick Ellis
Iraq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nick,
Is there anything that my family can send your way for some comfort? Dean was craving drinkable coffee, another was looking for salty treats like jerky. We even sent "good" toilet paper to a friend's son.

If there's something we can send to make your tour a little more comfortable, please let us know what you'd like & include your address.

The Boettchers

<small>[ April 01, 2007, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:29 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Mr. Boettcher,
I think I am good with everything my wife takes pretty good care of me! If you can speed the clock up a little bit so I can go on leave that would be great. I am looking forward to enjoying the festivities for the 4th of July up in Tomahawk. Normally, I wouldnt be able to but my wife and childeren have since moved back to WI since I am on a not so normal tour.

Nick Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:45 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Nick,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for your service! Keep your head down Marine and come back to us!

I know I have been writing of angry thoughts and my disgust over the flag thing, and the question of why are we here exactly floats around in the background of the discussion. Well again, allow me to share with you another photo of mine. The words in the picture were written on the top of a bench at the Air Force Theater Hospital by an Air Force Trooper departing the theater of operations.

I think it speaks for itself....

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8155/afthwriting002gq9.jpg

God Bless America and all that serve Her!

Dean Goulet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:00 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

You know Dean, you see the writing on the walls the patriotism and the thoughts of Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airman alike. Some are offended and others are amused. Me personally think it is great and very inspiring, you dont know weather you are staring at something written by someone who has passed. I remember Jan 1, 2005, I was in the hospital getting my appendix out and recieved word that I lost one of my closest friends friends over here. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I think that is why it offends me so much that someone could willingly and knowingly steal something that I have seen many give there life for. I have flags locked in a box at home that I have carried with me on various deployments in my pack. I couldnt fit an extra pair of socks or underwear, but I always made sure I had that flag. I recently flew one on the 29th in which I am donating to the school my kids are going to down in Wausau. They have been very supportive through this deployment both to my family and myself. I have never done that this before, but I am excited for them to recieve it. If I ever get over to Balad, I will look you up. Take care and stay in touch!
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:51 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Thanks to many generous donations the flag reward fund is now a total of $1000.00. Hopefully this will get some one to bring forth some information that will get the people involved in this caught and convicted.

Thanks to everyone who has donated and supported this effort !!!!!
:)

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:12 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I'm curious. Has anyone heard of any progress in finding the people responsible for the thefts? Have the police any suspects? Have anymore Flags been reported stolen? Does anybody have any news on this subject....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Scout,
Thanks for the donation receipt letter. In the letter you state that if the reward is not awarded by a certain date, my donation would be returned to me. If the culprit(s) are captured without the reward awarded or the thefts just simply stop, please keep the donation and apply it to support for the Lincoln County Veterans Group.

Happy Easter!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:44 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

GOOD NEWS !!!!!! :D :D :D

This morning two kids were spotted getting into a van wearing ski masks and the person seeing them called the police. Later when the van was spotted by the police they stopped it and the two dressed as ninjas had 5 flags they had just stolen. The flags were from SARA park, the DNR, the Library, the Fire Dept. and Redeemer church again. One is 16 and one is 17. Hopefully they will find the other flags and this will be the end of this. No names have been released yet pending fomal charges. What I would like to know is what are kids that age doing out that time of night? Where are the parents ? ? They are as much to blame as the kids !!!!

Seize the Day !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next