Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hear the rumble!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:43 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Hear the rumble, smell the leather, it's Fall Ride Weekend! It's so exciting. (I know that not all residents feel the same.) How I miss Tomahawk! As far as I'm concerned it's one of many events that make Tomahawk unique. If it weren't for other commitments we would have made the drive up this year. Sadly not on a Harley. Hope it's a safe and fun ride.

Post subject: Re: Hear the rumble!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

The town residents have to stay off the roads basically.Can't get around town very easy.All don't contribute to the fund raiser, that is the sad part of it all.Many come to have fun and don't pay any $$$ towards the MDA.I give to many fundraisers and if I was attending one and spending my time being there I would surely donate money for the cause.That is supposed to be why they are attending.Feel sorry for the hunters on opening weekend of bowhunting.They are not considered on what day/weekend is being selected for the ride.How to hunt with motorcyles roaring up and down the highway when you are trying to hunt in the woods.Waiting for this time of year and opening day/weekend.It is opening for bear and deer hunting bow season.Also, the hotels are full so many have no place to stay for their hunt if they don't have a cabin or camping option.Camping is probably out of the question too.Opening day for most events is a big deal, but sure can't be with the Harleys here..for opening hunting. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I agree that normal life here thinks it needs ti "halt" due to the Harley ride. Our chamber puts way to much emphasis on this weekend. I realize that it is a huge economis boost for many of the businesses, but others shouldn't suffer.(meaning the local patrons) It is, unfortunately VERY true that a huge majority of the riders for this event are here for the party only & not to give to MDA (remember that is the purpose?!) They are here to drink & let loose - that is their goal. Kinda sad that you need to be a Harley rider in order to have an"event" planned for your party.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:35 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

As for bowhunter's "missing out" on hotel rooms, why didn't they make reservations a year in advance like the Fall Riders did? I think the hotels are equal oppertunity renters....And, last time I checked, bow season is 3.5 months long, give or take. Deer don't get "gun shy" after the first weekend of bow season like they do during rifle season.
As for Fall Riders not contributing to MDA....sure, some may not (I haven't asked them to verify if they did or didn't donate), but the majority do. The money brought in is proof that many have their intentions in the right place. This weekend helps many local businesses, large AND small, that are dependant on tourism dollars make it through another drought of a summer and drought of a winter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I was just looking for some information on the Fall Ride and stumbled upon this post...I felt like I needed to leave my opinion.

I think it is unfortunate that so many criticize the Chamber or any others that are involved in the planning of this event. Give me a break; It is one weekend a year. Certainly, it disrupts life for those that are familiar with a wonderful, quiet town, however the economic boost this brings the area, the amount of money raised for MDA (even if some don't give a dime) and the memories that are made that bring many back to the area every year are immeasurable.

To complain about a weekend like this...It's sad! Things could be so much worse...

Back to my search for meaningful Fall Ride information...

<small>[ September 14, 2007, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: LifeOnTheCouch ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:34 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I knew the minute I posted my opinion on the Fall ride, that it would be slammed. Oh well, that is my opinion & that is what this board is about. Others can feel what they want & post it also. - to each his own -

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:53 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
It is really amusing to see the same whining on the message board every year at this time. Good grief, it is one weekend folks, three days. It isn't going to kill anybody to have the bikers here having a good time. We all go through this same thing during pow-wow days and I don't hear an whining. But that is something that the locals want so it is ok. As for them "donating to MDA" Almost everything they buy from most of the venders, a portion goes to MDA. Just about every business in town benefits, which means their employees benefit. So what is the big problem ? I have more trouble getting around town on Memorial day, Pow-wow days and Labor day than I did today. Why not just go down to SARA park and join the fun. It is open to everyone whether you ride a motorcycle or not.

Quote:
It is, unfortunately VERY true that a huge majority of the riders for this event are here for the party only & not to give to MDA (remember that is the purpose?!)
I hate to spoil your illusion, but this all began as a rally to have one last get-together before winter. It was not originally intended as a fund raiser for MDA. That came later when the rally started growing. Yes they are here for the party. Other-wise they could just send a check to MDA and save the trip. A rally is an opportunity to get together with your friends and have a good time. The fact that they are helping to raise money for charity is something that they do because they want to help. There are other Rallies and get togethers by car clubs and other common interest groups,that do not raise money for anything other than them-selves. For instance the Memorial Day Car show!! Lets give credit where it is due.

Perhaps you should call Ford, GM, Honda Toyota or who-ever built you car and ask them to put on a rally for you. Then you could have some fun too. :D

<small>[ September 14, 2007, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I just get a kick out of the fact that the "fall ride" takes place in the summer!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:58 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Poor bowhunters! Now that's a new one for anti Fall Ride. Hmm, interesting.

Aph, nice to see you again. Maybe it should be Late Summer or Pre-Fall Ride. Winky smiley face.

Nice post Old Scout.

My work is done here.

<small>[ September 15, 2007, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:47 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

It isn't going to kill anybody??? Oh, but it has

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:55 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Like no one ever gets killed on the highway around here the rest of the year. Give me a break.
If the people in cars would pay attention the vast majority of these would not happen. Almost all of the accidents are caused by cars and the biker is the one that gets hurt. Today while I was at SARA park I was talking about this with one of the State Troopers, and he even commented on the low percentage of accidents when compared to the large number of motorcycles in the area.

Besides, you know darn well what I ment ! :roll:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:55 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Oh but, people are killed everyday, doing a variety of activities, like logging, flying in an airplane, driving in a car, crossing the street. Maybe we should cancel logging, all air travel, go back to horse and buggies (but, oh wait, the Amish have buggy accidents with fatalities too, even without the help of our motor vehicles). I believe that those that have become a statistic due to alcohol use during the Fall Ride could have become a statistic without the Fall Ride.

<small>[ September 16, 2007, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

"I just get a kick out of the fact that the "fall ride" takes place in the summer!"

is that what you call Friday night, our freaking water hose to the camper foze solid.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunnydaygirl:
All don't contribute to the fund raiser, that is the sad part of it all.Many come to have fun and don't pay any $$$ towards the MDA.I give to many fundraisers and if I was attending one and spending my time being there I would surely donate money for the cause.That is supposed to be why they are attending.Feel sorry for the hunters on opening weekend of bowhunting.They are not considered on what day/weekend is being selected for the ride.How to hunt with motorcyles roaring up and down the highway when you are trying to hunt in the woods.Waiting for this time of year and opening day/weekend.It is opening for bear and deer hunting bow season.Also, the hotels are full so many have no place to stay for their hunt if they don't have a cabin or camping option.Camping is probably out of the question too.Opening day for most events is a big deal, but sure can't be with the Harleys here..for opening hunting. :(
Wow there young lady, you sure have a jaded opinion about us bikers. Sorry to hear that! First of all, most, if not ALL of us contribute in some way to MDA. Through our HOG memberships, through raffles at Sara Park, food purchases from vendors who have to pay a portion to MDA, pins, t-shirts, etc.

You can say what you want about us, but when it comes to MDA, there is NO LARGER contributor to this cause than Harley Davidson and Harley Owners Group. How much have you contributed to MDA??

As far as the hunters, and all the other excuses you gave to basically end this event, you are once again far from reality. Deer are not spooked by cars, semi's or bikes. They are spooked by HUMANS.... Drive down the street sometime and when you see deer by the road, pull over. They will stand there and watch you. Then...get out of your car and watch what happens...poooooof....gone. Bikes have no effect on animal patterns any more than average traffic does.

You know what, if this is a bad weekend for you, here is a great suggestion. Rent your house for a REASONABLE price, and leave town for 3 days. Don't try and shaft people for a month's rent or house payment like most of your neighbors are doing. $50 per person per night is MORE than enough for a bedroom or basement. Any more is robbery....

Sorry you feel the way you do, but those of us who do this every year love to come up to Tomahawk, watch MDA make some nice money, listen to music, meet the locals, and have fun.

FLTRider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I find the Fall Ride almost magical. This community opens its arms to one of the biggest biker rallies in Wisconsin and still maintains its small town feel. Drive down any street and you will be greeted with waves and smiles. There may be some that don’t care for the commotion but the vast majority is glad to see the business and entertained by the spectacle. I spend quite a bit of time in Tomahawk but the Fall ride is my favorite time of year.

Keep up the good work and lets pray for warmer weather next year? :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:22 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

In regard to the deer being spooked by the bikes: A fellow was hunting on my property (with permission) and I knew exactly where he was with his stand. He had been hunting all day the day before and all day the day I road down the county road on my way to town. When I got close to where he would have been sitting, I layed on the horn a bit as a hello to him. Later that day he came up to the house and said that he'd been watching over this clearing all day that had tall grass in it. He said there wasn't any action until I drove by and honked. Just when I honked a deer that was laying in the weeds nearly in front of him stood up and he got his shot and the deer. I guess I must have woke up the critter. It's hard to shoot deer when they're run tight and hunkered down. Where do you hunt Sunnydaygirl? I'll beep for you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:58 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Great idea Catfish..I will give you a call next time I go out.. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:42 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

i only wish i couldve come back for the fall ride... i do enjoy the event very much, and as with anything you have to keep an open mind and think from more than one perspective.sure its loud and sometimes an incessant annoyance (especially and specifically at 0300...), but the idea and purpose of the biker weekend is an overall good for tomahawk. id be more than willing to risk 2 whole days for the good it does for MDA and my hometown.

although i have seen some spectacular things here in japan. for instance, there was a festival where a major street was closed off and (no kidding) 10,000 drummers filled the void with festive garments and simulataneously played out the same songs. the sheer volume and coordination was overwhelming, and even though it was somewhat of a damper on what other people had going on that weekend, it was for a holiday. much the same as we in tomahawk consider the fall ride.

thats my story and im sticking to it
-lukas

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

What a bunch of characters! of all the things to whine and cry about! SOUR GRAPES!! negative people saying negative things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:57 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
Anyone living in Northern Wisconsin should be very much aware of the fact that either directly or indirectly nearly everyone benefits form the "tourist dollar". In many cases their outright survival depends on it.

An event like the Fall Ride will no doubt cause a bit of inconvenience and even an occasional serious problem arises. But considering the alternative to these sorts of events to raise money in your community, it is a small price to pay.

Keep in mind that for every new one dollar bill that is brought in to your community via the event, creates 7 times that much impact on your local economy. With over 40,000 people in attendance, ever at $10 per person that would be $2.8 mill in impact. That will pay for a lot on inconvenience.

I don't know what the average amount spent is but I bet someone, somewhere has a much better idea. My guess is it is a lot more then $10 a person.

My hat is off to the promoters and supports and I wish them well in their endeavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: lived most my life in Tomahawk
I used to live in Tomahawk and enjoyed the Fall Ride every year. I have been asked by many fellow riders if they could come because they don't ride a Harley. Everyone seems to think it is an event only for Harley riders. I suppose it could be because of the 2 plants HD has that offers tours during the whole event and that they provide the main raffle prizes of two HD's. It is an event for everyone. Riders and non riders alike. It's a chance to check out other bikes, maybe get some more gear and to have a great time. Just because I ride does not mean I own a HD, that I drink and ride or cause problems. Get real people. I love to ride my bike and so do thousands of others on that very weekend. It is the last hurrah. Let us enjoy that without being all put into one category or condemned for riding and helping others in the process. I only wish some of you knew how it feels to ride and to feel the freedom that comes with it.
"nuff said"