Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terror Supplies?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tie to Tomahawk: The Tomahawk Leader
What do you think of the government's recommendations to purchase supplies in case of a terror attack?

Are you purchasing supplies? Is there something you think should be included in other people’s plans? Any other thoughs?

Post subject: Re: Terror Supplies?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:29 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
This is one of most bizarre things to come out of the Bush administration yet: "Buy duct tape and plastic." As for the jar of vasoline, I think anyone that knows of Bush bought a jar of vasoline the day he was appointed to office.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Quote:
the day he was appointed to office.
Um, I hate to have to break it to you but he was ELECTED according to some paper called something like Constitution of the United States. Apparently from what I was taught in school that thing is pretty important and kind of the basis of everything in our country. It also must have been pretty well written because even after all this time we can look at it and make decisions on what to do next based off of it. Also, it included the basic steps to follow in an election, including how to ELECT a president.

Second, I have no problem with people not liking Bush. There are some things he and his admin do that I don't agree with. But, please remember, he is one of the most popular presidents we have ever had. Yes much of this is because of the attacks on Sept. 11 but his popularity continued long enough for his party to actually gain votes in the recent elections (something that doesn't happen).

Third, Clinton hasn't spoken out against attacking Iraq that I have seen. I've watched parts of a few interviews and I haven't heard him say once, "it's a really bad idea". And, if we look back a little, Clinton attacked Iraq (missles) during his presidency. Maybe these two leaders have seen things that we haven't. Maybe some of the reports would get those giving the needed information killed or prevent us from being able to use that source/method again. Much like a journalist won't reveal their sources I seriously doubt that either president would simply say, "A bunch of people are going to die because I'm showing you this, and we won't be able to find the weapons again, but here are the weapons and here are the plans on what they are going to do with them".

Finally, at least Bush hasn't been in a couple of scandals yet. I still can't believe Clinton isn't in Jail. If any one of us had done the same thing he did without being in office we would have gone to jail!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:24 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Good grief Abraham! What’s really bizarre is how bitter and nasty you are. Take a chill pill dude before you have a stroke! !

As for buying supplies, no way.

I got a kick out of the bio-terrorism expert on TV the other morning. When he was asked what one could do to protect themselves form bio-terrorism he said don’t waste your money. Instead of worrying about bio-terrorism he said people would be much better off losing weight, getting plenty of exercise, stop smoking and buckling their seatbelts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:58 pm 
General User
General User

I don't know if gods can vote on earthly polls. I will abstain for now and check the bylaws and get back on that one.

Actually the Court had to so something conservatives usually rail against on the election issue. They had to interpret the law (not necessarily the constitution) and even though Gore won the popular vote, the court decided that the electoral vote in Florida was acceptable which made Bush legally the President (according to 48% of voters).

I agree that Americans should ignore this "terrorism" BS being used to push political agendi (or is that agendae)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:32 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Baby, have you accidentally posted on this thread by mistake? I cannot see what you are referring to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

The is no such thing as law, there is only politics.

Politicians reinterpret the laws all the time. Both liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans. All the tweeners and fringe groups would do the same if they were given the chance. Been that way for 200 plus years … think you’d get used to it by now STOP WHINING!!!!!

That’s the problem with to day’s society… as soon as some don’t get their own way with the system the want to burn the **** thing down!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:14 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Quote:
Originally posted by JFlosum:
I got a kick out of the bio-terrorism expert on TV the other morning. When he was asked what one could do to protect themselves form bio-terrorism he said don’t waste your money. Instead of worrying about bio-terrorism he said people would be much better off losing weight, getting plenty of exercise, stop smoking and buckling their seatbelts.
That's about the truth of it. We are killing ourselves off very fine with super sized fast food diets,tobacco,laziness, and reckless driving.

I keep a 3 day supply of water and food and have an emergency kit which includes candles, flashlights, batteries, Swiss army knife, etc. I do that in case adverse weather like blizzards and tornados hit. So it's no different than what I've always done.

Here's what my friend's 14 y.o. daughter did with her duct tape: http://www.plantedpuppy.com/ducttape.htm

Nell

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:34 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
Abraham, could you explain the vaseline thing? Along with the use of duct tape does that mean that the trees on the White House grounds are being over run with army worms?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

The chemical experts recommended (along with duct tape and plastic) Vasoline to make the skin less likely to absorb chemical agents. Could you explain the army worm comment?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 7:36 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
It was sarcasim Abraham, surely you are farmilar with that. Much like your reference to Bush and Vaseline the day he came into office. Duct tape and Vaseline has been used to keep the army worms from destroying trees in northern Wisconsin. Now do ya get it ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Dear Office of Homeland Security,

OK, I have my duck taped. Now what do I do?