Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Publisher Larry Tobin's Ups-and-Down column 7-17-07:

For more than two centuries people who came to this country may have brought their native tongue with them but they learned English. That’s because virtually everyone in the United States spoke English. That’s not the case now, however.

People come here – too often illegally – and they want us to learn their language so that we can communicate with them! To me, that is patently absurd. I can’t imagine moving to some place like Italy or Japan, for example, and expecting them to learn English to please me. I might be a lousy language technician but at least I’d try.

But here’s what really corks me! We have politicians who won’t even vote to make English this country’s official language! And some of them want to be president of this country! Hillary Clinton! Obama! Kerry (wanted to be)! And our brilliant pair from Wisconsin, Feingold and Kohl!

Why don’t we just make the official language whatever the native tongue is of any ethnic group that represents five percent of the population or more? That way, all our laws and text books will have to be published in English, Spanish, and just about every other European, Asian and African dialect. Then our politicians can really baffle the electorate (and each other) because 99 percent of the public won’t have a clue as to what they’re saying. Teacher salaries will skyrocket because they’ll have to learn 40 or 50 languages in order to communicate with their students. The instructions on how to operate a gasoline pump will take a billboard.

What a farce!

But do you know what’s even worse? After all these years of worrying about whether or not the Social Security fund will be solvent by the time we get around to qualifying for the benefits we’ve paid into all our working lives, these same idiots want us to share it with illegal aliens who haven’t contributed a dime!

You’ve got Clinton and Obama again. You’ve got McCain this time. And Lieberman who wanted to lead this country too (further down the tube it would seem). And Brownback of Kansas who’s supposed to be so conservative. And the two guys from Wisconsin again. I’ve always thought that Feingold was off the wall and Kohl was all right, but now I’m not so sure they aren’t both out of touch with reality.

One of the primary reasons that Social Security has been in trouble all along is that, over time, it has been extended to people it was not intended for. Now we have a bunch of idiots in the U.S. Senate (many of whom want to be your president) who want to give it, not only to people who haven’t contributed a penny for it, but who have come into this country illegally in the first place!

I can’t blame people for wanting to come here. But this is a country of law. If you want to be a part of it, obey the law. Then I’d be happy to extend to you all the benefits that this country has to offer. In the meantime, I’d like to see a few people in Congress visit retirement on a permanent basis.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
not retirement only - not to mention the people that need to acces it during their earlier years do to an unforseen disability & inability to work until the retriement age. Official language should be OUR language & Spanish as a second.