Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the chances?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The question weighing on many peoples’ minds is "What are the chances?" after the portion of white pine in Bradley Park intended to create a future wilderness pole landmark for downtown was chopped into firewood last week.

What are the chances an individual seeking firewood would cut and leave oak on the road in search of white pine? Often oak and other hardwoods are the only wood that people will burn for firewood, not white pine and other fast-burning logs. A 30-foot section of 30-inch diameter white pine would make more than enough kindling wood, and if the person was simply in search of campfire wood, then why didn’t he collect other already-downed wood in the park or begin at the tree’s base?

Instead, the middle section of the white pine was harvested – the exact piece needed to allow for decorative legs on the planned horizontal pole. This portion would seem less than ideal to cut for firewood because the limbs would need to be removed, while the base would have required less effort. And the white pine also had to be taken up hill, while much of the other downed wood in the park would not have required such physical work.
Perhaps what makes this cutting so hard to understand is there are a number of downed trees in Bradley Park and the only firewood taken out of the park last week was the section intended for the wilderness pole. What are the chances?
The answer will most likely remain a mystery since the individual had the city’s permission to take firewood from the park. The name isn’t being disclosed because the cutting is believed to be an accident.

Tomahawk Aesthetic Committee members have worked diligently over the past several months to bring this future city landmark and tourist attraction to fruition. Much thought and consideration have gone into how this unique landmark could be a benefit for the city.

The Aesthetic Committee considers the actions an accident and not a malicious act; however, when looking at the reason behind the cutting and the fact that only the portion of white pine needed for the wilderness pole were harvested, many will continue to ask the question, “What are the chances?”

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 am 
General User
General User

Well, since this IS the "opinion" section, I'll tell you mine:

There's absolutely NO chance this was an accident.

I'm not sure we need a "wilderness pole" on the boulevard. I'm not sure we need a boulevard, period. But I didn't join that discussion, so. :p I found some humor in the story, personally. The old saying, "You can't fight City Hall" ? Sure you can, long as you have a chain saw! :cool:

I'm a little confused on why the name of the person is such a secret, too. :roll: Somehow that seems like a double-standard. And that adds fuel to my opinion that there's NO WAY this was accidental.

Peace

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:19 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I must say I agree ---- this is to much that it happens to the very tree that has been talked about? Actually why is even an issue..very dumb. If the city didn't want it done, they should have said that instead of making the tree somehow vanish.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
I almost want to say the whole thing is a hoax. I find it hard to believe that someone uses a massive white pine for home heating. You might just as well burn birch, tamarack or old shingles. If that IS the case, they'll probably be calling TFD for their chimney fire before long. Conspiracy theories aside however, I think this incident points out that there seems to be a complete lack of oversight regarding just 'who is hauling what' out of the park. This never should have happened. I'd suggest that in the future:
a) the Parks Department tag with marking paint those trees which may be scavenged for wood and note those trees on a map (updated as needed)
b) have all future cutting permits specify which species of tree the permit-holder may take and then provide them with the map location of said trees
c) make the permits time and day specific so that cutting/harvesting can be monitored more easily

<small>[ February 21, 2007, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I took a look at the picture. What are the chances? LOL. You have GOT to be kidding. Someone went out there to make sure that tree was not used for its intended purpose. The rest is pure hogwash.