Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dishonor veterans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

An editorial in the Jan. 30 Tomahawk Leader

This is written to the person or persons who stole the American flag from Veteran’s Memorial Park in Tomahawk last Monday night or early Tuesday morning.

Regardless of your reasons for cutting the cable and removing the 5x8-foot American flag that flew in honor of Lincoln County’s veterans, you are now in the position of dishonoring those who died, those who remain and those who will continue to fight for your freedoms. Regardless of whether or not you choose to return the flag, you should be made well aware of what it stands for.

You dishonor Tomahawk’s Engwald Bronsted, 19, killed Aug. 31, 1918, while serving his country during World War I; you dishonor Tomahawk’s Charles Searl, 23, killed Aug. 12, 1944, while defending your freedom over the skies of Europe during World War II; you dishonor Tomahawk’s Ralph Duellman, killed July 19, 1946, while bravely serving in the Korean War; you dishonor Merrill’s Grant Dampier, 25, killed in Iraq on May, 15, 2006, and you dishonor Merrill’s most recent loss, Ryan Jopek, 20, who was killed in Iraq on Aug. 2, 2006, while defending your rights.
Your actions dishonor Tomahawk’s Einar Ingman, Medal of Honor recipient, who on Aug. 2, 1951, assumed the command of two squads, whose commanders were injured, while attacking a strongly fortified ridge during the Korean War. Locating an enemy machine gun position that was suppressing his men he charged it alone, threw a grenade into the position, and killed the remaining crew with rifle fire. Another enemy machine gun opened fire only 15 yards away. When Ingman charged the second position, he was hit by grenade fragments and overcame a hail of fire that seriously injured him in the neck and face. Undaunted, he rose from the ground and, using only his rifle, killed the entire guncrew. There’s much more to his story. Sgt. Ingman can fill you in at Golden Living Center-Golden Age.
Other Lincoln County veterans would like to share their thoughts on what the flag represents.

“What was done is a dishonor, especially with our troops currently fighting overseas,” said Dave Hubatch, Bronsted-Searl American Legion Post 93 commander. “It’s frustrating. It’s a disgrace to all deceased and living veterans that have bravely served this country.”

Representing the Lincoln County Veteran’s Memorial Committee, Bill Burcalow stressed the concern is about principle and not the flag’s value.

“The fact is it violates our freedom to fly the flag. It’s more than just the veterans, it’s the 99.99 percent of people who support our veterans,” he said. “Return the flag, assist us in reattaching it, and write a letter of apology to all Lincoln County veterans and we won’t press charges.”

Thief, when it comes to honorable veterans, owning up to one’s actions and being held accountable are important attributes. Or if you so choose, you could drop the flag in the disposable-flag mailbox located next to the American Post Legion 93 building,
327 W. Wisconsin Ave. This route won’t win you much respect from the veterans, and they still may decide to pursue theft charges, but at least you’ll be able to represent one positive attribute. Honor.

Anyone with information that can help locate the guilty person or persons is encouraged to contact the Tomahawk Police Department at 715-453-2121.

Post subject: Re: Dishonor veterans
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
If the person is found, instead of turning him in to the Police, can a few of us Veterans take him aside and show him the error of his ways !

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the 2-6-07 Tomahawk Leader

Dear Editor:

I was visiting with a veteran on Sunday and he told me that the flag was taken from the memorial in Tomahawk. My message to the person that took it.

Why, why was the flag taken off or stolen from the pole at the Veteran’s Memorial? What were you thinking? What is your problem? Did you do it for a joke? It’s not funny! Do you know how many people you hurt? Do you have no respect? Do you have no respect for this country, the United States of America? Do you have no respect for the veterans – young and old? Are you protesting the war? Do you know what PTSD stands for? Do you know that not only veterans have PTSD? Do you have PTSD? Please talk to someone. Don’t talk to me, talk to someone you can trust. I don’t think you can trust me right now, because I am very angry at you, whoever you are. If I knew who you were I wouldn’t shoot you, but I think I could if I had to. You hurt me, because you hurt the veterans and for what they stand for.
I had a flag stolen once off of my mailbox, from someone that was having fun snowmobiling. I have flags, one is from my brother who died in Vietnam in 1968. Another from my husband who served in Korea. Another that my husband and I have now who served in Vietnam. Another that I bought along with others. They don’t cost that much, but some do. I have two other brothers that were in the military, once was in the Army the other a Marine. My brother who was a Marine has lung cancer. When he dies his wife will probably get his flag.

Confess buddy or sister and shame on you. Remember our veterans and what they do for you. I do.
God bless America,

V. Darlene Weirick
Gleason

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

An editorial in the 2-6-07 Tomahawk Leader

Inspiring follow-up
to theft of veterans’ flag

What a wonderful follow-up story to one that irked many!

Last week it sickened us to report about the theft of a flag from Veteran’s Memorial Park. It’s not the monetary value of the item itself, but its significance. What would possess someone to steal a flag – and one that flies over a monument that pays tribute to the sacrifices of local veterans, at that?

Well, that part of the mystery has yet to be solved, but Dean Goulet, who’s currently in Iraq, was so sickened by news of the theft as it appeared on our Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition, that he personally secured a flag flown over Camp Anaconda, Iraq, and has sent it as a replacement.

Before he left in December, Goulet shared his love for Tomahawk on our online Message Board. “… I love this community and the people that make Tomahawk great. I have been blessed by my association with this town and its people,” he said.

“The flag means so much to so many people, and even more to me being so far away from it,” Goulet observed upon learning of the theft.

We find his actions inspiring and his love for Tomahawk heartwarming. Thanks, Dean.