Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:44 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Catfish,
I think I saw the story in the Spooner on-line news. The man was a logger who claimed to have been stalked by a wolf pack while he was timber cruising. From what I remember reading, he thought he was "wolf bait" as the pack got very close to him, but he was able to safely get back to his vehicle.

<small>[ February 10, 2005, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:50 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes, THAT man had called in to the DNR reporting his being stalked by the wolves after hearing the news broadcast about the first unfortunate. The second man claimed to be in the same area. Thanks for responding, cause I'm not nuts, a little silly now and then, but not crazy. I used to be crazy back in the late 60's but I'm not anymore. Who knows what crazy is anyhow. I've heard that EVERYBODY, is somebody elses weirdo. For example, the staights think the hippies are weird and the hippies think the straights are weird. We might as well face it....every single one of us is a weirdo to someone. Being we all know this,.... that is why every one is so kind to each other on this board.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:04 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Tilt!!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:03 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Yes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:41 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi, first post to this forum. I am interested in the cougar subject and that is why I joined. I saw a cougar in 2001. It was chasing something in the high grass that I could not see, but I watched the cat for the length of about 5 acres. The huge size and huge shoulders were awesome. The tail was long and I estimate the cat to weigh at least 100 pounds.

I have been collecting sightings around the Merrill area for over 10 years. dd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
as far as the baby cougar being hit.....why was this NEVER public? (if it is true) & if you knopw who hhit it???? sounds VERY fishy to me. That would have proved without a doubt of existance .....how convenient to not report it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:09 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

My son's friend saw a cougar crossing Hwy 107 in town of Rock Falls... between Merrill and Tomahawk. The nose to the end of the tail he said was about 6'. It was tan in color. This was a few days ago, with this being Sept 11th. My son is now afraid for his child, who could be playing outside in the area. dd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the rules/laws are about people actually shooting a cougar?

I ask because I fear that if the facts aren't clarified, we may actually have some people HOPING to drag a cougar's body in to the authorities the first chance they get.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Cougars are an unprotected species in Wisconsin so, in reality, they can be shot on sight with no penalty. I've yet to hear of any actual physical evidence to back up these claims of the existence of cougars here but a warm carcass would probably do it. Until that happens I'll take these claims with a grain of salt.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:14 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Boy some peoples imaginations really run wild. Like the person that didnt want to report one because he was drinking?? I am sure he hit a pink elephant also that night but did not want to report that either....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:19 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

There is always the possiblity either of one managing to stray this far from more suitable habitat or one someone released. This debate often reminds me of the UFO debate. Some people see them all the time and even claim to have pictures. But when it comes time to ante up the evidence all they have are stories.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:43 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Brian, you can get out the salt shaker if you want, but I know what I saw, I know what I heard, and I saw some real clear tracks that weren't the neighbors puddy tat. :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:01 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by pac-man:
Boy some peoples imaginations really run wild. Like the person that didnt want to report one because he was drinking?? I am sure he hit a pink elephant also that night but did not want to report that either....
I can't blame him for not wanting to report it given the nature of the local law-enforcement..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:52 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I think this is interesting.
Panel requests report on state cougar sightings

LANSING - The Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will hear a report on the sighting of cougars at its monthly meeting in October. It is the first time the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) has officially requested information on the endangered species.

"I'm becoming intrigued with these stories," said Commissioner Darnell Earley at the September NRC meeting after hearing from citizens who said they have seen Michigan cougars or had their livestock attacked by the large cats.

The Wildlife Police Committee will give a report on cougar sightings at its Oct. 5 NRC meeting. In August and September, the NRC and DNR were offered proof of the cougars' existence in Michigan. Citizens and conservation groups presented evidence of more than 1,200 sightings, including almost 100 sightings that involved evidence of a breeding population; confirmed DNA, scat, hair and bone samples; photos; videos, and livestock kills.

Citizens and wildlife groups have been putting pressure on the commission to investigate the cougar and develop a management plan based on its endangered status. The Michigan Citizens for Cougar Recognition is encouraging all citizens with information or evidence to attend and summarize their cougar observations at the meeting's public session.

Founder Denise Massey says that people unable to attend can forward their sighting reports to her through the Web site www.michigancougar.com.