Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:06 pm 
I was at the downtown 4th of July celebration watching the band Storm play in Tomahawk and couldn't believe that your town will not put garbage cans on the street for people to throw their garbage in. I can't believe a city would rather have people just throw cans and bottles all over the street. There were several broken beer bottles all over the place which is a accident just waiting to happen. I believe if the garbage cans were put out, that people would use them. I have never been to an event in a city that won't provide some type of garbage cans for the people. The street was just disgusting.

I have also been coming to Tomahawk for the past three years to the Fall Ride event and have a great time, but it is the same situation downtown then also. Garbage everywhere. I would think your city would be more proud of itself and want the vistors to think "what a nice clean place to visit".

I hope someday someone in your city will want to do something about this, because it sure doesn't make it a very attractive place to visit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:10 pm 
Typical Poster
Typical Poster

I agree it wasn't a pretty site the day after the 4th. I wasn't at the dance, so I wasn't aware there are NO garbage containers at the site?!?
Why would this be? Do the workers/volunteers prefer to bend and pick it up off the ground?
Maybe they are all volunteers and don't have funds for containers? Maybe someone has some input on this subject.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I haven't seen extra garbage cans available in years.

It could be because even when they put them there people just dropped things where ever they were and they had to pick up the street anyway.

It still would be nice to see something around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:45 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I will walk out of the way to put trash in trash containers. If they were made avaible I'm sure more would use them. There is always some SLOBS :eek: who will drop trash right next to a trash can. I personally find it offensive to Mother Earth to litter in any way. Even cig. butts, as small as they are, have a huge impact on this planet. More trash cans please!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 12:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
This is no different than all the trash you see along the Highway. It is just too much effort for lazy slobs to dispose of it properly. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:36 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

We've learned to bring along an extra plastic grocery bag to put our garbage in after the parade. I will never understand why the city only provides a few garbage cans, considering the huge the number of people that attend the parade. Even if you are able to find a garbage can on Wisconsin Avenue, it will be overflowing onto the sidewalk, guaranteed. It is disgusting, and I am curious to hear from someone in the know as to why more cans are not provided. Remember when the mill used to provide those square "box litter" garbage boxes? Could something like that be done again?? Anyone have an answer??