Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the April 17 Tomahawk Leader:

To the Leader:

Would you like a dog park in Tomahawk?

A dog park promotes responsible pet ownership and enables dogs to legally run off-leash when accompanied by the owner. Dog parks are becoming popular in many communities both large and small, and can be a way to draw tourism to our town for lunch or shopping. Depending on the web site you choose to look at there may be 50 or 60 dog parks in Wisconsin now, ranging from one to 400 acres. Most have small user fees or honor system donation boxes. All have use and safety rules.
The closest dog parks to Tomahawk are in the horse arena in Wausau, and a 40-acre site over a landfill in Weston. These are wonderful facilities, but a long distance to drive.

Our city officials will want to know if there is an interest before they spend any time on this effort. Thus, I am gathering public interest information, and need you to contact me ASAP if you would like to see a dog park in Tomahawk, please call 453-0010 before 7 p.m., or preferably send me an e-mail to jo-ski@charter.net. I want e-mail addresses to keep everyone informed inexpensively.

Please provide your name, e-mail address or telephone number, how many licensed dogs you have, even if you have no dogs. If you would like to be part of the grassroots organizing group, let me know that too. Everyone gets to have an opinion, so get your neighbors and friends who don't read the paper to contact me also.

At best, if public and city approval is gathered, funding is arranged, and the dog park plan is approved by July, and on the agenda for the August 2007 city planning and budgeting meetings, we might have a dog park up and running summer 2008. I believe there will be some private individuals and local civic organizations that will financially support this project. Estimates are being worked on now. One location being looked at is across from (the) SARA Park parking lot, on four-plus acres of unused city land which was formerly occupied by Powell Lumber.

Thank you for your time,

Jo- Ski Theiler
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:48 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
For what it's worth... Dog parks, or dog runs, are very popular around Mountain View, CA and other cities in the Bay Area. The biggest asset, especially in this urban/suburban setting, is they allow people to have dogs as pets and a place they can let them 'run loose' to exercise them. It also allows the dogs to socialize with each other and other people so they become more friendly in general when approached by strangers (humans and other dogs). It's a place where the dogs can make friends...and the humans can too. Good luck with your efforts.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:17 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Tomahawk
-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Dopey Dwarf on Mon May 25, 2009 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:08 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I feel this is a bad idea. One more "area" of the town that will (in my opinion) end up being a pit for garbage collection & will eventually be neglected. I am a dog owner & believe in taking care of my pet - some people don't. Are we going to be assured that this area will be "kept-up & clean? I don't see that happening......are we to assume that all pet "get along" with others?? asking for trouble....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I guess I just don't see the point in Tomahawk. In a larger city where there are fewer areas for people to talk a dog and get "out" it seems like a good idea. However, with all the paper company land, state and national forests, etc. so close there are plenty of areas to take your pet for a walk and truly let them "run".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:05 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
Quote:
However, with all the paper company land, state and national forests, etc. so close there are plenty of areas to take your pet for a walk and truly let them "run".
Yeah, except for the wolves... but, hey, that's another thread! While I think the idea has some merit, I'd much rather see some enterprising individual with a few convenient acres develop this instead of dipping into the pockets of the City taxpayers.

<small>[ April 20, 2007, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Brian ]</small>

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
Quote:
However, with all the paper company land, state and national forests, etc. so close there are plenty of areas to take your pet for a walk and truly let them "run".
Yeah, except for the wolves... but, hey, that's another thread! While I think the idea has some merit, I'd much rather see some enterprising individual with a few convenient acres develop this instead of dipping into the pockets of the City taxpayers.
I agree, but the only problem with this is that the owner of the land would need funding of some sort, which negates the entire idea proposed.

Rather than a free, publicly-owned resource for all dog owners to use, it would become a "business" for said enterprising individual.... thus negating the original point of the dogpark.