Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the Sept. 4 Tomahawk Leader:

To The Editor:
There are some misconceptions on the Health Plan for Wisconsin. One is that teachers are exempt. They are not. They, too, will be required to participate in this plan.

Another is that people will abuse the emergency room. The plan already has a penalty written in for that ($60, Healthy Wisconsin Proposal, Page 7).

An individual is covered under Healthy Wisconsin if the individual is under age 65 and has maintained his or her place of permanent abode in this state for at least 12 months, and maintains a substantial presence in this state. The individual also needs to be gainfully employed. With these requirements we should not be a magnet state for welfare.

State Sen. Don Friske’s statement that Badger Care costs went up 33 percent from 1999 to 2006 is true, but everyone’s medical costs went up.

The Tomahawk area has a good access and quality of health care. State Rep. Don Friske’s statement about quality health care in Tomahawk is accurate. If the populous cannot afford health care, will the Tomahawk area still be able to continue with the same quality of health care. State Rep. Don Friske has affordable health care. The Employee Trust Fund covers almost 200,000 people, which includes State Rep. Don Friske, with affordable health care. If he can have affordable health care coverage, all gainfully employed Wisconsin residences should have the same affordable health care. This can happen through the Healthy Wisconsin Proposal.

Details on Healthy Wisconsin are available on the web site www.legis.state.wi.us/lc/publications/im/im_2007_03.pdf.

Dick Thompson
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:07 am 
Contributor
Contributor

This is an absolute load of baloney for any number of reasons. The first thing that comes to mind is the statement that teachers will have to accept the plan. This simply will not happen. The WEAC trust is not about to give up control of the dollars generated by their own health plan. Doyle would never force the teacher lobby into such a situation anyway.

Don Friske may have decent health care coverage as a member of the state legislature, but that does not mean that everyone in the state should get free health coverage. I don't see the logic in this, and it sounds like nothing but a politicaly motivated cut at the assemblyman.

Health coverage has to be paid for by someone. Let those who want it pay for it just like the rest of us have to.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:20 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Explain to me just why I should work to support my family, pay for health care and then have to pay extra to provide it for someone else. If they want health care they can get a job and pay for it. I have no problem with the Gov. helping those who are unable to work, but free health care for everyone is stretching it a bit. Did you ever hear of "God helps those who help them-selves". When I first was married I worked three jobs and my wife worked so we could get ahead. We payed for our own health care. I am more than a little bit tired of the entitled to everything attitude of people now days. The only thing they are entitled to is a chance to earn their own way and carry their share of the load.

Seize the Day !