Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Horses in Danger
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the Tomahawk Leader 1-3-06

Dear Editor,
Horse enthusiasts unite! There is a danger to our Northwoods’ equine! …
There are two men (partners) working in the Northwoods area as horseshoers/farriers. They ask you to consider them professionals and tell you to rest easy, that you don’t have to be present when they work on your horse. It may sound convenient but for your horse’s sake it is not safe. I have even contacted the AFA (American Farrier’s Association) regarding these two but they have never heard of them, neither is listed in their member database.
These men like to use a “lip chain,” which means they put a chain between the upper lip and the gum of your horse and proceed to yank it until your horse stands still (from fear). … Many of my own horses ended up with open sores and one has lost partial sight in his eye due to being struck with something, and another now has a hard time being bridled after being left alone with one of these men. Trusting these “professionals” to work on my horses has cost far more than just money. My horses now have emotional scars that hopefully with kindness, will heal over time, long after their physical scars have. Anyone who has ever bought a horse with issues, or had a horse get hurt knows how delicate they can be. They rarely forget something that has caused them pain. It is hard for them to relearn that something won’t hurt them. …
Indeed some horses need discipline but most need instruction and guidance. Certainly we do not allow our teachers to beat our children when they step out of line; rather we rely on them to educate and be kind to our children. I am not saying that it is the horseshoer’s job to train your horse, but it is not his job to cause your horse pain and make him bleed. … Horses are incapable of showing jealousy, spite, they don’t plan for their next action, they think only of what’s next to eat, drink and how long it will be until they can be back with their pasture mates. They respond better to being asked for their next action rather than being forced. … When they feel attacked they want to fight back and then run. Those are simply their primal instincts kicking in.
Our horses here at Red Barn Farm aren’t the only ones damaged by these men. There are damaged horses in Crandon, Merrill, Rhinelander and Wausau. Please watch out for these men. There are two of them, one is quiet and the other is outspoken, neither have much experience with horses, hence the reason they use the lip chain in order to maintain control, out of their own fear and lack of horsemanship skills. … If you have any questions or need the number of a new farrier/horseshoer, please don’t hesitate to call us 715-966-0185. Remember just because it is convenient doesn’t mean it is safe. Protect your horses – they are counting on you!
Tracy Van Ryen
Phil Kiefer
Red Barn Farm
Tomahawk

Post subject: Re: Horses in Danger
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:52 am 
Contributor
Contributor

This is the first I have heard anything negative about them. Word usually travels fast in the horse world. I have not had any problem at all with that team of farriers. They have been working with my horses for almost a year. Altough I have myself worked with and trained my horses to stand and do not rely on anyone else to teach MY horses. I do not ever leave my animals alone with anyone. I may be out of the horses line of sight (one does not like to be handled by anyone else and dances if he can see me) but the horses are NEVER out of my sight. I am sorry that your horses were hurt and I will be questioning the team for their side of the story. I will then make up my mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:11 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I am responding to the letter in the "Readers Opinion" column "Horses in Danger" on 1/3/2006 which accused 2 local farriers with allegedly injuring horses. The horse who allegedly has lost sight in one eye was hauled in my trailer prior to this incident and what a strange coincidence that one of the drop down windows in my trailer was damaged after they used it, hmmm I wonder how the horse hurt its eye! (I wasn't informed of the damage to my horse trailer either).
I show reining and western pleasure horses, I have a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, one of my minors is in Animal Science with a horse emphasis and while in college I had a 3 credit farrier course which included forge work. I KNOW good farrier work when I see it and these two farriers are great and dependable! They have done excellent jobs on my reining horse and other show prospects. They have NEVER done anything to hurt one of my horses!! I would recommend them to anyone!!!!
I have checked out the American Farriers Association (Find a farrier) web site and there is only one member listed within a 40 mile radius of Tomahawk. I went to college with a farrier who has worked on multiple world champion horses and he is not lised with AFA. My major is in Soil Science and I am not a member of the Soil Science Society of America that does not make me any less a soil scientist!!!
Sincerely,
Angie Elg, Tomahawk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:58 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I agree with nugget and Angie.
Tell the truth and be responsible for your actions and what you say.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Would you take your child to the doctor and not stay for the appointment?
The team of farriers definitely have me on their side. I have two horses that I would consider to be a little high-spirited, but these guys seem to have no problems with them. Any questions or concerns I have always they are more then willing to answer. These farriers are both animal friendly and customer friendly, willing to please both.
I will still use these two farriers, because they have my trust and the trust on my horses, which means more.
Please make your own decision and give these two farriers the benifit and find out for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:17 am 
Beginner
Beginner

My husband and I have had these 2 great guys for farriers for about a year now. We have NOTHING but great things to say about them!! For one, they definitely know what they are doing, no questions about that! Not only do we trust them and the work they do, but it is obvious that our horses trust them as well. One of our 4 horses WAS a very high spirited paint. I had a hard time finding a farrier who would even try to work on him. When we found these two guys, they created miracles with him that I thought I would never see. Their time and patience with him has now paid off. Today, he stands great for them and is not a problem at all. These two wonderful people know exactly what they are doing when it comes to relating to horses. They have NEVER ONCE treated any of our 4 horses badly. We will gladly recommend them to anyone who is looking for farrier services in the future, just as we have done in the past year also. I can't believe anyone would have anything bad at all to say about them!!! A great big thumbs up goes out to these two!! Keep up the great work guys!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
** After consulting with legal resources at the state level, the Tomahawk Leader Editorial Department has determined no more letters or messages regarding this issue will be accepted either within the newspaper itself or online **

<small>[ February 07, 2006, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: Webmaster ]</small>

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]