Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Consistency needed ...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter in the April 11 Tomahawk Leader

To the Editor:

On April 2, 2006, I was privy to attend a tribute ceremony at T.H.S., which honored our local and statewide “heros” – a.k.a “mushers.” If you weren’t there you missed a truly memorable event! Then again, you also maybe missed out on receiving a parking citation! Amazingly enough, during the Home, Sport and Travel Show the day before, parking in the same spaces, did not even warrant warning citations. “What a difference a day makes.”
Please allow me to reiterate. I am not faulting the officer for doing his job; as per him “my vehicle and others who received citations, were preventing emergency vehicles from gaining access to the property.” Matter of fact, this same officer asked me “if I saw the sign posted, or, could I not read?” Obviously, I did not notice the same sign others also missed; as being a seasoned journalism major, my reading skills did not come into play. Only, his obvious attitude with me, did! As I was very upset, I initially refused to pay. Not smart! The officer informed me that this would result in suspension of my driving privileges and would ensue after 20 days. Since I had no recourse, I left; calmed down, and came back within the hour, paid the fine and left a written “Have a nice day” message which was not at all sincere.

Bottom line! Hasn’t Tomahawk had enough adverse publicity and criticism due to our local police officers’ actions during Fall Ride? It’s really not about the small monetary fine, but the poor timing and negative messages people are perceiving – especially since the reason all of us were there was to pay tribute! Wouldn’t a warning citation have sufficed? Must we always appear to be generating revenue from these events.

I am not denying that I was, obviously, parked in error. I am not telling the officer not to do his job, and simply look the other way or act unappropriately. I am simply stating: be consistent; prioritize and handle things in a different manner. Let hometown residents remain proud of where they live and their law enforcement officers – and visitors with a reason to want to come back!

Once again,
“Have a nice day!”
M. Terry Barrier
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:44 am 
Contributor
Contributor

So your point is that they should have given you a ticket the day before?....
I agree.

Well, good thing for them that you parked in the "same spot" ILLEGALLY two days in a row..
Attaboy, way to be a team player and contribute to the local economy.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 3:03 am 
Contributor
Contributor

As a matter of fact, why not just stop by and park illegally a few days a month for the good of the local economy?..