Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

My name is Sandy Strassman, and I am the sister of Jacob Baars. Yes, that Jacob. The same one the public has made out to be the new Jesse James. Everyone else is writing in to voice their opinion ... now it's my turn.

Let me start by saying Jacob's entire family is appalled, angered, disgusted and in a state of absolute shock over the recent happenings in our lives. We still do believe though, that Jacob is a decent kid, who got somehow “sucked in” with the wrong crowd.

Jacob had dreams of really making something of his life. He and his best friend had hopes of getting on “the big ships” that you see on the Great Lakes. He has talked of nothing else since he was a little boy. His entire room has been filled with pictures of ships and anything related to them since I can remember. He was a straight A honor student throughout school. He had been accepted to the Maritime Academy in Traverse City, Mich., with the dream of eventually going into the Coast Guard. And then he met a certain person involved in this little ring of thieves, and his life took a sudden plunge into the depths of **** .

You don't believe peer pressure could have been an influence? Think back to when you were young. Think back to how your friends affected your life. Think back to last weekend when you were sitting on a bar stool having a few cold ones with your buddies, and getting pressured to “come on ... have one more for the road,” knowing you already had enough. How many of you stayed for that last one, and made it home only by the grace of God?

I know there is a petition going around town to “hang ‘em high,” so to speak. (I just didn't realize lynch mobs were back in vogue). I want you to take a good look at some of the names on that petition. Then go to the Wisconsin Circuit Court web site and type in some of those names. It's amazing to see how many have been arrested for drug paraphernalia and possession, traffic violations, etc. I realize they may be minimal infractions, but isn't that still breaking the law? Where are the pointing fingers now?

Don't get me wrong, I fully believe Jacob should pay for his crimes. I cried along with everyone else when I watched the report of the horse shooting on the news. It wasn't just because my brother was involved. It was because it involved an innocent animal. My heart goes out to the family who owned this horse. I can only imagine the range of emotions that they are dealing with. I know how much I love my pets. My sister owns horses, as does my aunt. I think of how we would of felt if it would of been one of theirs.

So, yes, I fully agree that Jacob needs to pay for his crime. But one thing you seem to be forgetting is that he was not the only one involved. His name was the one plastered all over the media, because he was the only one who was man enough to admit to his involvement. He didn't run to hide out in another state. It wasn't “the community that banded together to solve these crimes” as reported by the media. It was Jacob's parents who turned him in. Do any of you have even an inkling of what that was like for them? Jacob's mother and step-father stepped forward once Jacob confessed his involvement to them. How many of you could have done that? Would of done that? I don't know that I could have. I love and admire my mother that much more for having the strength to do it.

One of my good friends told me that people do not realize that this is something that Jacob will have to live with for the rest of his life. Every time he looks in the mirror, he will see his guilt. It may fade for the rest of us, but this is something that he will live with forever.

Jacob's family didn't commit these crimes. He did. He admits to it. So, when you see us on the street or in the grocery store, but pretend you didn't, we won't take offense. When you come as close to glimpsing **** as this family has, it can't get much worse. Just remember, it may be you dealing with something equally devastating in your lives at some point, and people will be judging you as you have judged us. Last time I looked, there was only one that had the power to do that, and it wasn't you or I.

To all those who have offered support, whether in the form of a card, a word of encouragement or a hug, you have our heartfelt gratitude.

Krista, thank you for allowing me to cry on your shoulder (and all over your sweater!) more times than I can count. God Bless.

Sandra Strassman
Tomahawk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

We are all born with free will. That is the bottom line here.

Yes, peer pressure is tremendous. I personally know the young woman who was arrested in this case and am heartbroken for her family. She, too, was influenced by others. But as far as I know, no one stuck a gun to her head and forced her to participate. She make a choice. Or rather, CHOICES.

She will be paying for her crimes, and I pray she and the others involved will take the time they are in jail/prison to turn their lives around and return to society able to make better choices.

Will the consequences for these crimes be severe? Quite probably. But remember, these were not teen-age high jinks. This was arson, burglary, carrying concealed weapons, along with other charges.

Finally, Mr. Baar's picture/name was not the only one presented in the media. The Tomahawk Leader published the pictures of seven different individuals. The Rhinelander Daily News and The Wausau Daily Herald all published seven names. Finally, WAOW had a photograph of three individuals on their website, and I'm assuming, on their news.

This is a sad day for many families; hopefully all seven of these young people will receive the help they need, but also be held accountable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:28 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I too feel for the families of these individuals.
I also wonder how the sister would feel if it were her home that was torched..
I am sure all the families feel that their family member was "sucked in" by the wrong crowd.
To take other peoples belonings, life of a horse and then to burn down someones property my goodness that is more than a bad influence dont ya think. These guys, all of them, knew what they were doing when they did it and I would think by the age they all are they would know right from wrong.
Yes, they will and should be punished for these crimes to the fullest extent of the law I hope.

<small>[ November 22, 2006, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: redo2006 ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:00 pm 
General User
General User

Quote:
Jacob's mother and step-father stepped forward once Jacob confessed his involvement to them. How many of you could have done that? Would of done that? I don't know that I could have.
I am another parent who has had to step forward and turn in my son. Hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Quote:
I love and admire my mother that much more for having the strength to do it.
Amen.

Peace

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:59 am 
Beginner
Beginner

My sister-in-law's place was burglarized and some stuff taken, but luckily they chose not to burn it down. Sandy, I feel for your family and can see the love you have for your brother, it's very apparent. Stick with him and give him your uncoditional love, he needs family support. He will definitely be rewarded for confessing and it shows everybody he has a conscience and a soul. The courts always take admission and contrition into consideration during and after the trial and sentencing. I just wish he had found his conscience much sooner because it would have saved many people a bunch of heartache and money. I know my family forgives all those involved and when justice is served will just move on. You're right in saying, we're not the ones to judge, and I agree.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:26 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

My name is Glenn Younger. I grew up with Jacob Baars, and I have been his best friend since the first grade. I am currently enrolled as a student at Texas A&M University at Galveston. I am member and leader within the Texas Maritime Academy.
I first heard about the going ons in Tomahawk involving Jacob back in September. I have been reading in the paper and on various news websites since then to stay up to date on this story. When I read that there was a petition going around to “Hang em High” I was absolutely appalled. Jacob knows and admits to the wrongs that he has committed. He will go through the proper channels and be punished accordingly. For people to petition to make things worse for a young man that has made some mistakes in his life and is sorry for them is absolutely disgusting. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Jacob should not have done the things he did and I am truly sorry for the loss of the people who's horses were shot, but to ruin a young man's life this early in the game is not worth it. At this point his dreams of becoming a Captain on the Great Lakes will be hard enough without you people making it any harder. To get a license as a Merchant Mariner he will have to go through extensive background checks through the Coast Guard. I will graduate with my Merchant Mariners license in 2 ½ years and do everything possible to help him get his license as well.
I know that Jacob would never commit arsons, burglaries, or shoot horses on his own, nor would he be the instigator. Peer pressure is a major influence in what caused my good friend to go from honor student to criminal. Yes people have free will and choose between right and wrong. I do not dispute that. Most of Jacobs friends left to go to college a year ago and he was left to make new friends. He fell in with the wrong crowd. I also know that Mike Leet would never do these things with out the influence of the other people involved in the incidents. I know that had I stayed in Tomahawk and spent time with them they would have never done any of these crimes, because I would never do anything like this. This shows that if you put a person in with a bad crowd they will turn to mischief and if an individual has good influences in their life they will become a good law abiding citizens.
Tomahawk is a place where you can count on your neighbors to help you when you need it, and to stand by you in times of need. People of Tomahawk and the surrounding area should not condemn these individuals. You should instead encourage the judge to give a lighter sentence and give moral support to these boys and their families. These are not hardened criminals. These are young men that have lost there way. They need all the help they can get to put them back on the right path. Lets give these boys a second chance. Many of our worlds leaders wouldn't be where they are today if they hadn't gotten a second chance. (google: Senator Alan Simpson)
I consider Jacob the closest thing I have ever had to a brother. I probably know Jacob better than anyone. Jacob is an upstanding young man that has a future and will make this world a better place with is kind heart and gentle demeanor. I ask you not to condemn him. Give him another chance to make things right.

Thank you,

Glenn Younger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:51 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

So what you are saying is this?
The other 5 people involved are the bad influence?
I bet the family and friends of the others think that Jacob and Mike were the bad influence.
No matter who is or is not, they are all wrong in what they did I can not consider them upstanding young men who fell to bad influence. I am sorry but they all deserve to be punished to the full extent of the law. As far as a petition I think it is due to what the courts have done in the past to other offenders.
Remember this, 64 burgs. 4 arsons 1 dead horse and one badly wounded horse.Now these are the things they know about not what they may have gotten away with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:24 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I don't know anything other than what I've read about this crime spree, nor know anyone of those involved, but I and everyone should take notice of the one post that says these are not high school pranks. They've burglarized cabins and homes, committed arson, shot horses and all the while carried CONCEALED WEAPONS. One must wonder if they would have surprised one of the occupants, not realizing they were home or in there, during one of their breaking and entry burglaries, whether or not they would have used their guns and killed as well. Guy from Texas ought to get his head out of his butt and let them suffer their consequences. There are poor blokes sitting in prison for holding a joint.
You say from Texas, that these are poor little small town boys that made a bad choice-FOR SURE-they made a bad choice. They could have gone to Texas too, or even stay in Tomahawk and get a job and go bowling or build hot rods in their garage. But they burned cabins instead. Yellow Fascists make me laugh. Give em a break-LOL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:37 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Like it or not, we all grow up at some time or other. There is a point in life, probably too soon for some, at which we must assume full and complete responsibility for our actions. It is at this point that we are no longer allowed to claim that we got involved with a bad crowd as an excuse for inappropriate behavior. Young Jacob is well past that point in life, and must take responsibility for his actions. The thing that he lacked in all this was character, and it is rarely something that one can learn in school. Young men of character have the wisdom to know what is right and the strength to stand up for what they believe in; to say no to those who would lead them into a course of action that they know is wrong. I hope that all the young people involved in this unfortunate situation will see the error of their ways and be able to develop the character that they need. Evil minded people are bad enough, but those who do what they are told are often a lot more dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:47 am 
Beginner
Beginner

As the victim of a burglary by Jacob Baars, I need to reply about the talk of his love for big ships. Jacob, as well as Raymond Mikkelson took several items from my cottage, including many things that were given as gifts in my family. The one gift that now sticks out the most is my Wife's antique ship lanterns. These red and green lanterns were a prized possession. Jacob Baars stole these from our cabin, took them to the woods somewhere, and burned and smashed them. I would have thought that someone with a love of ships would have more respect for at least these items. If he liked them so much that He had to have them, why did he destroy them. As far as his punishment for these crimes, I believe the court system will decide what is fair and just. I don't have a "hang em high" mentality, But I do want justice to be served and I believe after all things are considered, this will happen

David Polar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:30 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

In my defense:

I absolutely agree that these men need to be punished. They have done terrible wrongs and they need to understand that they are not in high school anymore and that they need to grow up. Hopefully prison will do this for them. I put one word that should not have been in my last post. The word “lighter,” as in give them a lighter sentence, was unjustified. They do need to be punished for these crimes accordingly. I just was against the fact that people wanted to go beyond normal punishment and “Hang them High” so to speak.

As far as the concealed weapons, I heard that the concealed weapon that Jacob got tagged with was a bowie knife. The “stolen guns” were in the rear of the vehicle in plain sight. The knife was under his seat and any blade over a certain length underneath the drivers seat is considered a concealed weapon. This knife was a gift from me before I left for college. Jacob had no intentions of going and killing anyone with it. I myself carried a machete in my truck behind the drivers seat for years. I used it to clear some thick brush in my hunting lanes. Had I been pulled over by an officer I could also be charged with position of a concealed weapon. This definitely doesn't mean that I'm going to kill anyone with it.

Mr/Miss Catfish.... I would refrain from making accusations on a matter that you obviously have no relation to. I am not blaming the other members of this “gang” with all the guilt. Not at all. I agree with Dave. These boys lack in character. They ultimately made the decisions. They are ultimately at fault. I'm just saying there was definitely negative peer influence on these men. Also, sir or mam I don't believe that I ever said that these were “poor little small town boys.” In addition this is a serious matter and a respectable website. Please restrict your name calling, “Yellow fascists” “get your head out of your butt,” for other web sites. And it takes a real big man to post an insult without even using your real name.

Mr/Miss D. Polar.... I am truly sorry for you loses as well. Jacob has always loved the lakes and the ships. He went diving once on an old ship wreck on the lakes once and loved every second of it. I can remember him even having a jar of lake superior sand on his dresser. He truly loves the lakes. Has he told you that he broke and burned the lamps? This is news to me, as you can imagine. I am bit far away at the moment. This just doesn't seem like Jake. But, as I have observed, sometimes people surprise you. I respect your standing on this issue and absolutely agree with you. It's nice to see that someone who is directly affected by these crimes doesn't want to “Hang them High.”

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I have been reading this message board for a couple of years now but have never had such a strong inclination to write a posting until I read previous comments posted on November 24th by Jacob’s friend, Glenn Younger. Younger states, “People of Tomahawk and the surrounding area should not condemn these individuals. You should instead encourage the judge to give a lighter sentence and give moral support to these boys and their families.”

I also read Younger’s recent November 29th posting where he has rebutted many of his previous remarks, including the one about giving these individuals a “lighter sentence.” He goes on to say, “...they need to grow up. Hopefully prison will do this for them. I put one word that should not have been in my last post. The word lighter, as in give them a lighter sentence, was unjustified. They need to be punished for these crimes accordingly.” As I read this new posting and compare it to the previous one posted on November 24th, I am a little confused by how Younger really feels. Regardless, I still feel compelled to comment on this issue.

Too many times the Lincoln County court system has failed the community by giving repeat offenders a slap on the wrist. Our poor police officers and the frustration they must feel. I do not in anyway agree with the hang ‘em high petition but I can fully understand the community’s anger and disgust. Maybe if more people in the community start expressing their opinions and pay attention to what is going on in our community, this will give our courtrooms and the district attorney’s office the kick in the rear end they need to start working towards harsher punishments and holding some of these people liable for their actions.

Jacob may be a good-hearted kid who “lost his way” and got caught up in the peer pressure but peer pressure is not an excuse for the community to turn their backs on deviant behavior. Whatever the motivation is, including “negative peer pressure,” there should be consequences for your actions. I too was faced with peer pressure in high school. The worse thing I ever did was skipped school, engaged in underage drinking and smoked cigarettes behind my parents back. I have a hard time showing any real compassion to someone who deliberately hurts others or destroys property just for the fun of it.

Every action causes a reaction. Again, let me make it perfectly clear I do not agree with the hang ‘em high petition or even some of the poor behavior others may be displaying towards Jacob’s family but think about the severity of the crimes committed by Jacob and the others. How can you blame the public for being upset and want to lash out in some way? Hurting his family should have been something Jacob should have considered before he participated in criminal activity.

At the same time, I commend Jacob’s parents for turning him in. What great parents Jacob has to teach their child to do the right thing and admit to his mistakes. I am sure by his sister’s words that his family loves him very much and Jacob is very fortunate to have such a supportive and loving family unit. I also think it takes a very brave soul such as Jacob to turn himself in and admit to his mistakes. He is on his way to taking the first step towards forgiveness. I do not personally know Jacob or his family, and if I did, I would hope I would not be the type of person who would treat them any differently than I treat my own friends.

In reply to Sandra Strassman’s (Jacob’s sister) posting, let us also not forget the victims and how must they must be appalled and also feel anger, disgust and absolute shock over the recent happenings in their lives. All we can hope is that Jacob takes this experience, learns from it and makes some positive changes in his life. But most of all, I pray that justice will be served and that all of the victims will recover and heal from this horrible ordeal.

Thanks for listening,
Tupper290

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:46 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Perhaps someone could help me out here, and explain exactly what "Hang 'em High" MEANS in this context.
What exactly does this petition...say?

I guess where I get confused is that I've seen Mr. Younger and Sandy Strassman (and also several others who have also supported Jacob in terms of character) say that they agree that these men should be punished to the full extent of the law within reason considering the crimes...
(which is what I originally thought this utterly ridiculous "Hang 'em High" term meant)... ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:10 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Mr. Younger, you say: "I would refrain from making accusations on a matter that you obviously have no relation to." I beg your pardon, last I heard this was a public forumn. Most of the commentors on this thread have no relation to this matter, but I do live in this community, not Texas, and we up here in Tomahawk don't take to well to marauders killing animals and burning down cabins. By the way, your yellow seemed to have turned red on your later post.
I previous poster said the D.A. should get a kick in the rear. Is that OK, because you take offense at me saying to get your head out of your butt. Rear and butt is just about the same, but you just don't like butt, that's good!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:25 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Catfish:

You have some gall sir. You had no knowledge about these concealed weapons and you start throwing words around that Jacob could even go as far as kill someone. You don't know any of these individuals and don't know anything near as far as all the facts in this case. In addition, I've lived in Tomahawk for nearly 15 years. I am still a resident of Wisconsin. I only go to school in Texas as educated people sometimes tend to do.(go to school that is) I come up to town for three months out of the year. I also don't see anyone on this forum making rash accusations and implying my friend could commit murder. As far as the insults go you can keep them coming because your still to yellow to post your real name to back up them up. You liberals are all the same. No Backbone!

Tupper290

I was thinking in the best interest of my friend when I posted my first post. Of course I am going to want the judge to give a lighter sentence. He is one of my good friends after all and I know the good person that he really is. I dwelled on the subject for a couple days after that and looked at it from a stand point of the victims. Had I been a victim of these crimes I also would want justice. But, horses can be replaced, cabins can be replaced, stolen items are just things. None of these possessions will matter when you meet your maker. A person only has one life. I think if we can speed up the rehabilitation process and if the offender has seen the error in there ways, they should be allowed to get on with there lives as soon as possible. Allow them to become contributing members of society. These men are still young. Locking them up for a long long time will accomplish nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:36 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I truly understand being supportive of a family member and a friend. But my gosh, peer pressure is such a lame excuse. Was this young man Jacob (or any involved for that matter) brainwashed, drugged or a gun held to the head? I don't think so! These young people are responsible for their own actions. Bottom line. People just need to accept the fact that these people have done bad things. My guess is that something personality related brought them to make the decision to do wrong. Now those involved need to just accept wrong was done the right price needs to be paid. I'm all for second chances, but by all accounts there didn't seem to be any second chances given to the horses or second thought given to invading and destroying the property of others.

Oh and Glenn Younger, in your post to Catfish, " I only go to school in Texas as educated people sometimes tend to do" is really not a very "educated" remark. Education isn't always about going to school. Let's remember that there are people on this earth that may not have had the opportunity to go to college, yet are far more intelligent and have far more common sense that those with a mile long resume of degrees.

<small>[ December 01, 2006, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Deb Richardson ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:38 am 
General User
General User

Just my humble opinion, and getting off the track here but I just have to chime in:

Horses cannot be replaced.

And neither can Family Cabins.

As far as the "hang 'em high" mentality, I would point that toward the DA and the Judge. My understanding is, these people were already on bond when the horses were shot. Perhaps if they'd been sentenced for their previous crimes in a more timely manner, Shilo would still be alive.

Peace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Horses, like many pets are basically family members. One of my coworkers was just saying last night that she's had one for 20+ years. Many people will be closer to a horse than they might be a cousin or in some cases even a closer family member. If someone shot and killed one of your family members and injured another you'd be thinking a little less along the lines of, "they can be replaced".

Also, those family cabins could have sentimental value that is far beyond our knowledge. Already someone has mentioned the lanterns that CAN'T just be replaced. What if someone's memories of their parents or grand-parents was time spent at the cabin before they passed away? Breaking into the cabins is violating someone's personal life enough, burning them down is horrific.

Examples of items that can't just be replaced... My coworkers home was broken into in the Green Bay area. They stole a piece of jewelry that was the first gift her husband had given her when they started dating. They also stole an iPod which sounds minor but it was given to her as a gift by all her coworkers when she had to leave work to be treated for breast cancer. She listened to the iPod while receiving her treatments, etc. Sure, it's a device that can simply be replaced but it was the sentimental value of the device that made the crime that much worse.

Don't tell people their things can simply be replaced. Now you are showing you don't understand. I'm all for defending your friend but be thankful he's only in jail. Somehow I suspect if they had broken into the wrong cabin while someone was home they would have simply been shot...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:42 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Don't forget Kerry, family pets won't turn on you or commit crimes. They love you unconditionally.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
I guess after reading all this, I have only one comment. I would rather have someone like Glenn Younger for a friend that doesn't turn his back on his friends when times are tough, than some one like catfish who can do no better than call people dumb names and put them down for their beliefs. I feel sorry for catfish's friends if they ever get in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:13 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Mr Younger
You are no doubt a loyal friend to Jacob and his Family. They need you in this time and you are giving them a voice. What you do not understand is that many of your words are insulting to the victims of this serious crime. Most of what We (all victims) had stolen, destroyed, or killed CANNOT be replaced. Along with the posessions are the special memories We had and the feeling of safety and security that was there. IT'S ALL GONE. We will never get it back. You put Stolen Guns in quotation marks as if it is something less than that. During the traffic stop where the knife was found that you write about. Mr Baars had My Son's gun in his car. My Son's 12th birthday gift. It wasn't a "stolen gun",IT WAS A STOLEN GUN!!! Do you understand the seriousness of this? It scares me and my family to think about what would have happened if we had walked in on them while they were in there. He came in MY home and took both of my son's 12th birthday presents, My first wedding anniversary gift and a Christmas gift I gave My Wife. All very special to us. Yes, most of the items can be replaced but think about the memories these items have NOW. Mr Younger, Stay by your friends sides and help them through this crisis but do it without saying things that are upseting to the victims of this crime.

David Polar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:35 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

You're right, Mr. Younger. Material possesions will not matter when we meet our Maker. Rather, we will be judged on how we lived our lives and treated others. I sincerely hope all seven individuals consider this fact while they are incarcerated.

And material things were NOT the most important things stolen. It was security and trust in our fellow human beings.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:31 pm 
Okay, Glenn Younger. If you want to play generalizations, here's one. You Texas-lovin' military types are all about punishment to the full extent of the law--hanging 'em high included, of course--but as soon as it's one of your buddies, you start shouting "forgiveness, forgiveness"! Since you types all love shouting the word "terrorist" so much, permit me make a small comparison. Would you forgive a terrorist because he is young and malleable? I really didn't think so.

Weren't these crimes quite obviously premeditated? They were no small, isolated crimes, either. Jacob is a human being and is responsible for himself just like the rest of us. Perhaps we should let Jacob be treated by the system that also treats the rest of the country. Jacob is no special case because he was young or full of possibilities. He chose to fall in with a bad crowd and mess up. Perhaps your friend has changed since high school, as we all tend to do.

<small>[ December 01, 2006, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Haley ]</small>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

All right Haley, nicely stated. As you said, a bit generalized, also stereotypical, but that was great!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:57 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Glenn Younger, my name IS Catfish, been Catfish for 48 years. Who is Mimi, or Redo2006, or Arizay, Hunts, Dave? Dave who? Dave Smith? Dave Brown? Dave Nelson? See what I mean? If my post said Fred, would that be better. Fred who? What are you talking about? Well Glenn, my name is Ben, Ben Older!
Old Scout, go back and read my posts on this thread. There isn't anything to suggest that I'd bail on my friends. I pointed out what had been included in Mimi's post about carrying concealed weapons. She must have read it in the paper. What person who knows how to read, wouldn't wonder after reading about concealed weapons, whether or not they would use them if they were confronted by the owner in the cabin. How does that suggest I'd bail on a friend? Maybe saying they made bad choices and could have went to Texas, or stay home and go bowling or fix hot-rods instead of killing animals and burning down cabins. Does that suggest bailing on friends? These people committed the crimes and did get caught and arrested. They made bad choices-peer pressure-fell into the wrong group, whatever. If you do the crime and get caught, you have to do the time. Simple, no-one is bailing on friends here.