Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Changes since 1930
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A Letter to the Editor in the Feb. 27 Tomahawk Leader:

To the Editor:

My name is Lisa Lorenzen Theo, and I am a professor at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. I am finishing my PhD at UW-Madison and writing my dissertation on the community of Tomahawk. My focus is on the changes to the community since 1930. My father grew up in Tomahawk (K. Lorenzen) and my great-aunt, Ilene (Winters) Fry, and second cousin, Norm Winters), are natives to Tomahawk. I have taught a number of Tomahawk High School students over the last seven years at UW-Eau Claire (Lynn Hilgendorf, Jenny Wilson, Guy L’Esperance, just to name a few). Family friends in the community include Jerry and Joan Cook and Les and Sue Thompson. Please feel free to contact any of these people should you have an questions about my work.

I am looking for stories, photos, interesting tidbits, anything you may think would be interesting to share about your town. For example, my dad tells stories about the pool hall run by former boxer Spike Henderson. He also tells stories about attending the one-room schoolhouse north of town and how hard it was to focus on school late morning when he could smell lunch being prepared. Back when the big resorts were still around (Deer Trail Lodge, Red Arrow Lodge, etc.) he remembers going with his father to meet the tourists at the train depot to drive them to the lodges. Who doesn’t have wonderful memories of at least one great Fourth of July celebration?

I will not use your name in my dissertation. I will acknowledge assistance from individuals, and you can choose to be listed or not. If you have photos to share, I will certainly give you credit. Photos will not leave your sight. We can arrange to bring a photo scanner and save the images to our computers. If you are interested in assisting at all, there are a number of ways to do this. You can jot down thoughts or memories and mail them to me. You can e-mail me (theolj@uwec.edu). You can arrange for me to visit you (contact info below). I will do whatever is easiest for you.

Thank you for considering this request.

Sincerely,
Lisa Theo, Assistant Professor
Geography and Anthropology Department
254 Phillips Hall
UW-Eau Claire
Eau Claire, WI 54702
715-836-2315 (office)
theolj@uwec.edu (e-mail)

(Editor’s note: Lisa Theo will be in the area March 5, 6 and 7 if anyone would like to make an appointment to talk with her then. She will be staying at the Comfort Inn.)