Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Living the dream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:20 am 

Jeff,
A few weeks ago you were asking about Lake Alice and where to fish. Well, in the future I'll be able to share very up to date information with you because I'm moving to the lake at the end of this month.
I LOVE first ice fishing. I love the silence, the thrill it gives me, and above all, I love the amazing action that is almost guaranteed. With this message board, I'll be able to keep abreast those who share my addiction for first ice. Not knowing the ice conditions "up north" always drove me nuts before I moved to Tomahawk. Hopefully these postings will give people an idea on upcoming ice conditions - and even save on carbon emissions as is the concern on another posting.
I really enjoyed reading your message on the muskies. One of the strange stories I've heard is of fish that are seen swimming with their heads out of water with their mouths open. As though they are trying to use gravity to swallow something they ate that was too big. A friend who spends a lot of time musky fishing on Lake Mohawksin has seen this several times. I haven't seen it yet, but he said it looks very strange.
One odd musky encounter that happened to me was on Roberts Lake in the northeast part of the state. I had been fishing with a friend all day when before dark I looked off to the side of the boat and there was a musky starring at me on the surface of the water only 10 feet away. I brought the big fish to the boat with my bucktail, but it didn't even look like it wanted to bite my lure. To this day, I think that musky was messing with my head. It still haunts me in my dreams.
On fishing as a whole, I cannot in words explain how crucial it is to my life and well being. On Sept. 11, 2001, the first thing I did after calling my family was head to the water in an effort to find clarity. Find something that made sense. While the time on the water wasn't enough to erase the horrid events unfolding on T.V., it did make me realize how fortunate I am to live in a place where I'm provided that right. I try to keep that in mind every time I step onto first ice or into the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:26 am 

I should have mentioned this on my last posting, but Thank You to all veterans who have, currently are, and will in the future fight to defend our freedoms!

<small>[ September 11, 2007, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Jed's line ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:40 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Silence while ice fishing? You MUST fish places more exotic that I. Every where I try to ice fish there is some peckerhead trying to push his/her snow mobile to the limit. (Aren't there trails for such people to use??)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:55 pm 

The beauty of first ice is you don't have a lot of people on the lake and snowmobiles are too heavy to be out. I'm talking two to four inches when I refer to early ice.
The best years are when you can get out around or before Thanksgiving. Bays are always the first to freeze.
I always make sure to carry hand-held ice picks and don't fish in deep water to be safe. I check the ice with my spud as I venture out on the lake. My friends that hunt think I'm nuts. I always respond by reminding them their heading out into the woods with 500,000 other people carrying weapons.
As far as the snowmobilers, I don't think there's much we can do about that situation. With there being little snow, they have to stick to the lakes since many trails are closed. After spending $7,000 on a machine, I understand why they feel the need to be out using them. However, if they come too close to my tipups (which I mark) I will usually let them know.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:05 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

C.J. & I will look forward to your reports. We might be able to sample the action ourselves when he come home between semesters.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm 

If the weather stays as is, I might be giving an ice update in the very near future - I heard it was snowing just north of Minocqua this morning.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:20 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this column/message board of yours Jed!! Great job!!Alot of fun reading it!! Great idea of having this on the boards!! :) Job well done, keep it up!!winter/spring/summer/fall ....fun to hear what you have to say!! Did you mention the Joe Bucher line at all? what do you think about the expensive vs. inexpensive fishing lures? ...brand names..etc..anyone you think are totally not good? let us know on the boards!..and thank you for a job being well done! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:37 pm 

Sunnydaygirl,
When people ask me what I'm catching fish on I usually answer, "the end of my line." (Ha Ha). I like your suggestion and will try to incorporate product names in future posts.
Unfortunately, my most recent fishing trip only involved a Ford truck, some BP gasoline and a best friend, who after the debacle of a musky guided trip we were on yesterday may have to be bribed to take part in future endeavors.
Let me just say the three-year drought plaguing the northwest part of the state is probably over, I'm thinking about switching cell phone service providers and after knowing me for over 20 years, my friend should know I'm not the best when it comes to remembering directions.
If anything positive came out of spending six hours in a vehicle and ending the day by squeezing in an hour before dusk below Kings Dam (where we ironically learned someone had just caught a 42-inch musky), it was that I was reminded of other fishing trips that have gone array, and not completely at fault of my own.
Like the trip to Minnesota, when someone I know forgot the boat key. Or the mosquito repellent, bait, sometimes beer and laundry list of essential fishing equipment that in the past has been forgotten, it certainly did make for interesting discussion on the ride home.
This guided musky fishing trip will just have to join that list, which as I age, I hope to keep in check - although I realize I'm probably fighting a losing battle.
As fishing partners go, my friend will get over the six hours of life that he'll never get back and remember that future fishing trips will go off without a hitch. And, maybe if I'm lucky, age will steal his memory of the trip to the Flambeau Flowage. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll be hearing about it for a long, long time.
Thank you for the kind words Sunnydaygirl. They sure did brighten up my day after yesterday's debacle and bad weather.
On another positive note, we were able to catch a dozen walleyes below Kings Dam last night. I even think I saw Andy smiling while he was throwing a fish back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:53 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I live just a quarter mile below King dam. Many times I've had muskies banging my live box for the fish inside. I average six muskies a year off my dock. See some look like alligators.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:00 am 

Kingrdlk,
Four muskies off your dock sounds like a pretty good deal. Just wondering if any of those fish looked like the alligators you've seen?
Tuesday night I saw several suckers come to the surface while I was fishing. The next few days might be the time to get number five.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:01 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I live just below King dam. Catch an average of 6 muskies a year off my dock while fishing for walleyes. Have had muskies attacking my live box for fish inside. Some look like alligators. Fishing seems a lot better when more current flowing. Not much current this year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

didn't see my first note so a duplicate. But the number 6 is correct. sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:00 pm 
General User
General User

Hello,

I just found this forum on the Leader. I will be coming up next weekend 9/28 and I can't wait.

My story: I was at a local dam fishing with a 1/4 oz. jig and minnow middle of August 90+ degrees. catching small walleyes and smallies, BAM a hugh tug on my line and stops in the current. After a 15 min fight in the current, I get ti to shore and only have a small panfish net. What did I catch?

20lb. Catfish! What a suprise! I didn't even know there were catfish in the Tomahawk area?

I have pictures, but can't put it on here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:18 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow Jed,
My son & I are sooo jealous. Congrats on moving to Lake Alice. (God help the fish!)

Looking forward to some good tips on the places you want to share with the rest of the "Anglers"
who visit here.

Happy casts!

Jeff & C.J.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:01 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

:) Thank you Jed! I will keep reading your posts and see what is new and exciting. Enjoy this and it is very refreshing indeed. Just like
reading a book and the next chapter...............stay tuned!.. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:15 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Good Luck Mullin17! I hope you catch the Big Bugger that got away from me in August!!!

Try a sunfish pattern.

<small>[ September 22, 2007, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:53 pm 

Mullin17,
I haven't done it yet, but your post may have just pushed me over the edge. I've been talking about going catfishing this entire summer and have yet to do so. I think your shock of catching a very, very nice channel cat (I presume) would have come as a shock to many local anglers.
I'm not sure why, but I have yet to speak with anyone who regularly fishes catfish in the area. Possibly it's because the walleye and crappie fishing is pretty good, or maybe, people just don't think of it as an option - or maybe there's just not that many to make fishing them worthwhile.
Whichever the case, a 20 lbs. catfish is very big for the Wisconsin River - I know, I used to catch them while going to college in Stevens Point and my largest was 15 lbs.
Thanks for the motivation and congrats on the beauty fish. Good luck fishing and enjoy your Northwoods water time!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:30 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

actually "Fishing Unlimited" stocked several local waters w/channel cats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:11 am 

Ah yes. I see Fishing Unlimited stocked Lake Alice with 6,000 channel catfish a few years back, which means by now those fish would be pretty big.
I'll have to throw a gob of worms off the dock this weekend and see if I can't come across one of those nighttime prowlers.
Fishing before the storm last night was amazing. Within an hour I caught enough perch for a meal. I don't often keep fish, but after reading the discussion on another forum about reducing one's carbon footprint, I decided I need to step up my efforts. By eating fish I catch I can avoid the Friday night fish fries. By doing this, I eliminate the carbon output needed to bring the meal to Wisconsin. I'm strongly against over harvesting, but by eating venison, fish and vegetables grown locally, I can greatly reduce my carbon dependance. Author Ted Kerosite discusses this lifestyle in his book "Blood Ties," which is a very good read, if you can find one of the dated copies.
Anyone going out fishing tonight faces an interesting contrast in fish eating patterns. On one hand you have the solunar charts saying tonight is a peak feeding period because of the full moon, while on the other, the cold front that just moved in typically causes fish to act lethargic for a few days. I'm not sure which one will win out, but I sure would like to know the answer. Good luck fishing everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:02 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

mullin17 ,
If the fish aren`t biting, stick around and watch The Pack beat The Vikes!! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed,

The local weather trumps sunrise/moonrise/full moon/new moon events. Also, usually the third day of stable weather is better than the first two. Example, a cold front moves in from the north. The first day is usually very bad and the second is bad as well but by the third day of this stable front the fishing usually picks up. I fish a lot of muskies and this holds true much of the time. Take your own notes and see if it holds true for you. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:51 am 

ToddC,
Thanks for your insight on moon phases and weather fronts.
When faced with fishing after a cold front, say opening weekend or when friends are visiting, I normally try to stay pretty broad with the species I intend to catch. I'll normally start off by fishing for game fish, but I don't hesitate to switch over to going after panfish. Even in the worse conditions, it normally seems one species will be willing to bite. Plus, nobody complains when there's some perch in the frying pan.
This weekend sounds like it will be a gem out on the water. No advancing cold fronts means get out and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:19 pm 

Not too bad for my first time musky fishing on Lake Alice last night.
The water was calm after the evening rain, so I decided to head out in my row boat and flip a top raider before darkness fell. Earlier, I had stopped by Chuck's to pick up some supplies and decided to grab a couple musky suckers. I don't often use live bait, but in this situation, it turned out to be a very good purchase.
I hooked the 10-inch sucker and let it soak off the back of the boat. On the third cast with my orange/black top raider, I saw what I thought was wake from a trailing fish. As I made my fifth cast, I heard the sucker pole slam against the side of the boat. I looked over to see the giant bobber disappearing on its way toward deeper water. I unlatched the clicker and let the fish free spool while I applied tension with my thumb - I only use a single hook to reduce the fatality rate.
Upon setting the hook, I thought the fish had some pretty good weight behind it, but following the hook up, I was left reeling as the fish came racing toward the boat. At this point, I realized this was going to be an up close and personnel battle.
It wasn't until I had to turn the fish in order to keep it from going under my boat that I realized the fish's size. I held my breath as the rod doubled over and the line tightened under the pressure. The fish responded to the turn by going air born just feet from my boat - I again held my breath and dropped the rod tip to maintain the hook up against the violent head shakes. As I struggled to adjust the drag, the 40-plus inch fish again came to the surface, this time splashing my fishing partner and I with a healthy dose of Lake Alice water.
The battle continued for several minutes as the essox made run after run, and I countered by giving and taking line. The first net job proved too early, and the fish turned the boat as it aggressively headed deep. Moments later, the fish again came to the surface and this time slipped into the net. The single hook easily popped from the fish's mouth and I hoisted the monster into the air for a few photos before sending it back. I didn't get a weight, but the musky was 42 inches in length.
Talk about a great weekend. I move to the lake, catch a 40-inch plus musky and the Packers beat the Vikequeens!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:21 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

:) Congratulations on your great catch!...but one
question?? Will you be able to post them somewhere soon? If you throw back a nice one..would love to see it...oh, my!
thanks..maybe we should start a photo fish boards now... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:52 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Perfect Autumn day in God's country. Congrats on your new home!!! Maybe C.J. & I will see you on the water next summer when we rent a cottage from the Zipps. (Very cool cottages!!!)

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next