Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Living the dream
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:42 pm 

Jeff,
God's Country just seems to be getting better each day this fall, if possible. I have to keep this short because I'm heading out on Lake Alice as soon as I get done with work. I'll keep you posted on the Lake Alice bite, as well as other bodies of water in the area, until next summer.
Sunny,
As I develop this message page I plan on adding a way in which anglers can submit pictures of their catches. The picture of the musky I caught hasn't been posted yet because I need to get the film developed - I use disposable cameras since I have a special knack for destroying electronics.
I hope anglers make use of the solunar charts I've posted. Fishing these peak feeding periods can really pay off - I plan on being out tonight for the 6 o'clock peak-fishing period!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:15 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed,

Congrats on the musky! You should try the quick strike musky rigs instead of the single hooks though. Sooner or later a musky will swallow that sucker and you'll end up with a deep hooked musky and studies have shown the mortality on stomach hooked muskies is very high even though they swim off and seem OK after you cut the line or leader. The Herbie rig or ones similiar have a high hook rate and the fish are normally hooked in the mouth. Plus you don't have to wait for the fish to turn the bait and swallow, just set the hook when the musky takes the sucker. A better alternative and much easier on the fish. Good luck!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:19 am 

My thoughts are with the residents of Crandon as the community now enters the healing stage.
I would have been at the cabin on Lake Metonga on Sunday had I not went to visit family in Algoma. I wish all my friends there the best. Keep the the young who lost their lives in your hearts as you move forward in making tomorrow a better day.
Todd, thanks for the suggestion on the Herbie quick-set rig. My goal is a zero-kill percentage, and I'll give it a try the next time I fish with a sucker.
Fishing was exceptional off the pier in Algoma. The salmon are still coming in - caught two 20 lbs. that were in good shape in not even two hours - and the browns are really starting to hit on the egg sacks. My fish were taken with a whit alligator spoon. It's the best aelwife imitation I've found and hasn't let me down.
Again to my friends in Crandon - take some time to remember what makes living in the Northwoods so great. Catch a walleye in Peterson Bay or spend an evening watching the sun set from the dock. It will take time, but the community of Crandon will eventually heal.

<small>[ October 10, 2007, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Jed's line ]</small>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Who makes the Alligator spoon??? (whit means white?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:03 am 

Jeff,
When I wrote Alligator Spoon I think I meant Crocodile Spoon. It has been awhile since I purchased them and haven't been able to track any down on the web.
I bought mine at Gander Mountain In Sheboygan. They have reflective tape on one side and are completely white (not whit) - and weigh 1 ounce, I think.
A friend from Sheboygan Falls told me last night the salmon run is coming to an end, which means the steelhead should get going real soon. If you want to know a secret fly pattern that works well during the fall Sheboygan River stealhead run, email me at jbuelow@tomahawkleader.com and I'll let you in on what has worked really well for me.
I spent a few hours out on Lake Alice last night and landed a small pike on a yellow Bucker Bucktal. No muskies for me, however I learned a certain guide's client lost four fish on a 8 a.m. to noon trip yesterday - ouch!
Fish or no fish, the best part of being out on the water in the fall is the silence. Two trumpeter swans went honking overhead, which other than the sound of my oars, was about the only thing I heard last night.
Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

<small>[ October 12, 2007, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: Jed's line ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:52 pm 

The first musky was amazing and the second blew my mind.
I couldn't have imagined a better evening on Lake Alice than the one I experienced last night. The lake was calm, the boat traffic was light and the fish were feeding - big time.
Following the Packer's fifth victory, I headed out to cast some submerged weeds along a stretch of undeveloped shoreline. Before long the sucker bobber trailing my boat disappeared, and unlike the 42-inch musky I recently caught, this fish headed right underneath my rowboat. Seeing that I had just switched to a quick-strike rig, I immediately set the hook and the rod doubled over. The battle was brief, and before I could realize the size of the fish, it pulled free from the rig. The release sent the sucker flying into the air, and in disappointment, I slapped the sucker back down. However, even before the sucker's splash dispersed, I saw a flash of green coming up from the stained water. Again I was fighting the fish, and again, the hookup ended quickly as the fish pulled free. Seeing that the musky had already hit the sucker twice, I decided to cast my red and black topwater Bulldog to where the fish had been. Immediately, I was snagged. As I pulled the boat to undo the snag, I saw my other line drift between the boat and the trolling motor's shaft. Just then, the bobber vanished again. After some finagling and tense moments, I freed the snag as well as the line caught between the boat and trolling motor. This time the battle lasted for several moments and ended with a 36-inch musky in the boat. After some quick photos I released the fish and resumed casting.
Not even an hour passed before the second fish smacked the Bulldog. This time the hookup was solid and the fish was much bigger. After the initial run, I turned the essox and began bringing it toward the boat. Roughly six feet away the monster turned, which gave me a good look at its girth. My knees nearly buckled as the fish appeared to be as massive as my rowboat. For the next several minutes I counteracted every move the fish made - including one impressive aerial display. After what seemed like an eternity, I was able to guide the fish into my net. Being by myself proved difficult as I worked to unhook the fish while holding the net. At one point the musky even got free, but thanks to quick reactions, I was able to re-net the 46-incher. Again I took some quick photos and released my largest musky to date.
Suffice to say I now have the fever, big time.
Look for pictures of these two muskies on our Tomahawk Leader "Photo Album." Coming soon, I also will post the guidelines for your fish photos! Enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:08 pm 

The objective of this chat page is to give anglers the opportunity to share their fishing stories - and now pictures - with the rest of us,
Pictures of first catches, trophy catches or any fishing picture taken in the Tomahawk area can now be posted in the Tomahawk Leader's Photo Album.
To submit a picture, email them to jbuelow@tomahawkleader.com in jpeg form.
Pictures also can be dropped off at the office, 315 W Wisconsin Ave., or mailed (with prepaid stamp and envelope if you'd like returned) to:
Tomahawk Leader
P.O. Box 345
Tomahawk, WI. 54487
Information needed for submitting pictures includes:
1)Name of the person who caught the fish. All other people in the picture should be identified from left to right.
2)The species/size of fish and where it was caught (if protecting a honey hole just give county.)
3)When the fish was caught and what it bit on.
4)Any information that adds to the story about the catch.
My two muskies from Sunday night are now on the Photo Album. Check them out and send me a picture of your next lunker.

<small>[ October 18, 2007, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Jed's line ]</small>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:17 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed,

Congrats on the two fine fish. Have you tried the quick strikes yet? That 46 had some nice girth. Nice job. If you are out this weekend and see a green 1750 crestliner with a 90 johnson stop and say hello. Take care...........TC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:51 am 

ToddC,
I released my first musky with the quick strike rig last Sunday and it worked pretty well. Thanks for the tip.
I'll be out on Lake Alice all weekend, so I'll make sure I keep an eye out and say hi if I see you.
Speaking of keeping an eye out, watch for the 47 1/2 inch musky that was taken out of Lake Mohawksin last week. It'll be in the next issue of the Tomahawk Leader and we'll also be posting the picture in our Photo Album.
Have a great weekend and enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:25 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

.Way to go Jed! It's great to hear that there truly are Muskies in Alice. C.J. & I only saw Esox below the dam. We plan to stay at Zipp Inn II again next summer. Maybe we'll see ya on the water. (You'll recognise us because we''ll be row trolling. Fat old guy rowing, young in shape person watching the rods.)

Krocodile Spoons are made by Luhr Jensen.
I have a few spares if you want to make a lure trade. But do a google & you'll find them for sale.

<small>[ October 19, 2007, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Jeff Boettcher ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:59 pm 

Jeff,
I'll keep an eye out for you while I'm out rowing around Lake Alice, too. I'm REALLY interested in row trolling, so if you get some time, please let me know how it works and what works best for you.
Congrats to Tina Frick on your 47-1/2 inch Lake Mohawksin monster musky. The picture is in the Tomahawk Leader and will be posted in our Photo Album very soon. Also in the Photo Album, you'll find a picture of a 41 inch musky I caught Friday night on Lake Alice. As you can see from both fish, they are really starting to pack on weight now, which also means they're feeding heavily.
Saturday afternoon my friend Andy Kersten and I had some amazing action on Lake Alice. In less than an hour, I caught a 32 inch fish, hooked and lost two 40+ inch fish, he caught a 36 inch fish and had a 40+ inch fish smack a Topraider boat side.
My fish all bit on the black/red Uptown Bulldog. As I only had one, the lure is now being held together by some rubber bands and is in desperate need of replacement. Unless the fish tell me otherwise, I'll continue using this lure exclusively until the ice forms.
ToddC, I didn't get to say high to you on the lake, so just wondering how your weekend of fishing went?
Wish I could write more on how spectacular the fishing has been, but I really have to get going. I'm heading out on the lake to meet up with some new 40 inch friends I recently met. Enjoy your Northwoods water time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:51 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Jed for putting my 47-1/2 incher in the paper!! I just wanted everyone to know that the fish is still swimming around out there!! We are strickly catch and release! I have caught one a 1/2 inch longer, in Canada, but this one is by far my heaviest!! I also caught 2 Canadian 47 inchers. I love it! I am patiently waiting the 50 inch class catch. My husband is a taxidermist and he can't wait to start the replica on the 47-1/2incher!!
Thanks again!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:27 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Very cool MM!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:41 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed - Saturday was good. Got up and on the water at 3:30 lost a fish in 45 minutes and then caught a 36 a half hour later. Sunday and Monday was nothing as far as muskies go. Not even a hit on a sucker.

MM - Congrats on the fine release. A very nice fish!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks guys!
Tina

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:01 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Jed,
C.J. & I row troll every time we want to move to a new location for slip bobbers & live bait for Northerns, Walleyes, etc. No real strategy, other than we make sure to drag the lure past any point, drop off or weed line that presents itself.

The lure is almost always a jointed crank bait. The bill depends on the depth of the surrounding water. There are natural speed variations as I pause to swat a deer fly or mosquito, catch my breath, fart, etc.

We have caught huge crappies, walleyes, notherns, & C.J.'s first muskie (38") by row trolling.

When I retire, there will be two 7 ft rods in holders situated on the bow side of the oar locks of a 14 ft row boat. There will be a very satisfied old fart rowing into the weather, not caring if the fish are interested in his offerings. There will be a six pack of a Central Waters beer in his cooler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:50 pm 

Muskymom, great to know your monster musky is still swimming in Lake Mohawksin. Good luck the rest of this fall and keep us posted if you get another essox.
ToddC, it sounds like you and I had the same luck last weekend. Saturday was amazing, and it has gone down hill ever since. I got a small musky Monday night, but other than that, I haven't moved a fish over the past several
days.
Jeff, you make me jealous, since I still have several years before I can call myself a retired old fart. I'm going to try row trolling later this fall when the rod gets too cold to hold onto. Thanks for the info.
We have another trophy musky that will soon be posted in our Photo Album. Probably should have seen it coming, but I never would have suspected someone would catch a 47-inch musky out of Muskellunge Lake. Katie Voelker did, and she has a amazing story that goes along with her catch.
Enjoy your Northwoods water time and good luck fishing this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:32 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed,
I only wish we would have gotten to the cabin earlier and hit the water sooner Saturday. A multiple fish day was very possible. I probably won't get up again until the water is hard. I did release my best Wisconsin musky last month, a 50 incher on a topwater. Good luck out there and be safe!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:45 pm 

ToddC,
I think we both were fortunate to be out on the water on one of those legendary days that don't come around very often. Congrats on breaking the 50-inch mark! I imagine that got your musky fever going.
The warmer weather seems to have cooled off the musky bite lately. No new fish to report on. Hopefully the forecasted cooler temperatures for later this week will start things up again.
Boat troubles ended my fishing this past weekend. First, an electrical fire messed up my trolling motor Friday night. Then I ruined every muscle in my back trying to row upstream against the wind Saturday afternoon. On Sunday, I went and picked up a six-horse motor, which led to me throwing out my shoulder on Sunday.
I'm thinking about taking a break. However, even though I can hardly feel my shoulder, arm, elbow and hand, I imagine I will be out chasing muskies later this evening.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:35 pm 

With the snow flying outside, I can't help but think about the upcoming ice fishing season. I've had some ice in my bait bucket but have yet to see any forming on the bay in front of my house. I'll be posting ice updates as soon as it forms.
The musky bite appears to be back in full swing after the recent slow down. On Saturday afternoon, I landed a 44-inch Lake Alice musky using a sucker. The fish was so aggressive, I don't even think it hooked itself, since the fish spit the sucker only after in my net. Either way, it made for a quick release after a few nice pictures.
I've been really fortunate to have a young loon hanging out in front of the cabin over the past week. The first evening it was very talkative as eagles flew overhead. Since, I've been lucky enough to hear it call a few times before dusk. I can only imagine it will be gone soon, so like the warm evenings, I've been trying to take it all in before the silence of winter sets in.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:28 am 

For me, this past week's musky bite was pretty low key. However, one dedicated musky prowler I know hooked into and lost a monster of a fish out on Lake Mohawksin. I know it must have been a big fish, since he doesn't bat an eye at anything under 50 inches.
After a few evenings of fishing out on Lake Alice, I was only able to land a 32-inch fish Monday night on a Musky Mania Bert Jerkbait. A few days before that, I had a fish hit and take my leader and lure. I'm not sure how big that fish was, but it seemed to have little trouble slicing my 75 lbs. line.
Good luck to everyone heading out in the woods for the 2007 opening weekend hunt. I'm sticking to the musky hunt, but I also enjoy a good deer hunting story.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:09 pm 

My musky fishing updates are on the verge of becoming ice fishing reports, since the ice shelves on Lake Alice are growing more and more each day (though the ice is still by no means safe to walk on up here.)
On Saturday I landed a 42-inch football-shaped hog using a brown/orange Uptown Dog. I caught the fish off a point that stretches out into the river channel. A week earlier, I was bitten off while casting a similar point just upriver from where I caught this fish. It really is amazing how much weight these fish put on over the fall, and it also explains why I've caught five 40+ fish over the past few weeks. Take a look at the Lake Alice Alligator in the Photo Album.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:14 am 

Well, the ice fishing season is now officially underway across the Northwoods as windless bays are covered with a couple inches of ice.
Anglers were fishing at Bradley Park in Tomahawk, and others have been reported venturing out on other secluded bays.
On an ice checking trip yesterday, neither Big Arbor Vitae in Minocqua or Lake Metonga in Crandon had ice. Other deep lakes in the Minocqua area didn't have ice either.
Bays on Lake Nokomis, Mohawksin and Lake Alice are covered with ice. For the time this year, Lake Alice near County Hwy A was completely frozen over. Lake Mohawksin was also nearly frozen over this morning.
Make sure to use caution if you do head out this weekend. Take it from a guy who has had a wet but more than once, you don't need to get out too deep since the walleyes cruise the shallows this time of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Jed - Nice "football"!!! Yeah those fish sure get fatter in the fall. Nice to see you still out there and catching them. I wish I could have gotten back up for another shot before the water got hard though. Take care..........

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm 

Thanks ToddC. It looks like that will be my last musky this year. I had to chip the boat out of the lake yesterday, so my season is officially over. In total, I ended the year with six 40+ fish and several 30 inch muskies. Not too bad for my first serious year of musky hunting. I have to thank Tomahawk's Beetle Nyberg and his wife, Sue, for teaching me how to "walk" the Bulldawg. Without their instruction, I'd just be another hopeless musky fisherman wondering why I never catch fish.
There's still a few hogs being added to the bragging board at Chuck's. Tom Klein of Eagle River boated a 53-inch monster on an undisclosed area lake. Nice Job!
-Transition to the hard surface-
It didn't take long to get word that one of my walleye fishing partners has been having great success through the ice. He doesn't know it yet, but I have plans to sneak into his secret bay as soon as I can get my fat butt out on the ice - I'll probably even use his old holes. I can already imagine the look that'll be on his face when he sees me. Priceless!
Many bays remain frozen despite the mild temps and strong winds experienced this past weekend - I measured two inches while chipping my boat out of Lake Alice yesterday. Forecasted cold temps should add to this base, and I expect many area lakes will experience freeze up come Saturday. The 10-day forecast is calling for highs in the 20s, so first-ice may just be a short prelude to the start of the ice fishing season.
I'll keep you posted on the ice conditions, and hopefully, I'll soon have reports of some hot first-ice walleye action!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next