Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fall ride
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Seems to me the Tomahawk/Harley Fall ride is gradually becomming Bubba's/Nokomis Town Harley ride. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Fall ride
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
you hit that right on the head. Everyone in town said that when Bubba moved to Nokomis park it did not hurt Tomahawk. Sure it did, yeah money it still generated in town but the bulk went to Nokomis area business not in town. We did ourselves no favors when we let that go by the wayside.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:05 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
I noticed that there didn't seem to be nearly as many vendors in town as in previous years. Quite a few more up at Nokomis.
I also didn't see quite as many food stands or groups like Fishing Unlimited selling their raffle tix--wonder why? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:56 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

First of all, as an annual visitor, I would like to say JOB WELL DONE to the good people of Tomahawk. Now, some of my observations:

1. I was a little surprised by the small number of food vendors on Main St. In years past, there were some GREAT places to eat while walking around. This year, there were only a few. Why was that??

2. As far as Bubba's, I went there one year, and the crowd was far too rough for my likes, and I think the likes of many of the people who come to the ride. I don't really think it hurts the business in Tomahawk to have Bubba's party get bigger. I think it actually means more people will come to the area....

3. Bambino's pizza is AWESOME!!!!! Yes, I miss LaNeu's, but the pizza was awesome. Who the heck was that VERY pretty lady selling pizza by the front window?? I bought 2 slices just so I could talk to her! I think her sister owns the place or something. Anyway, the food was great too!!

4. Had a $300 dinner out at the Silver Birch which is an annual traditions. Folks, if you don't know it, that is one of the BEST restaurants I have ever experienced. Every year, we have awesome service, and awesome food.

We'll see you all again next year!!!!

FLTRider
:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think the main reason there were not as many vendors in town is that the chamber (for one) had the great idea of moving the street food vendors to the "food court" on 2nd & 3rd streets - the non profits were told that there would be no more food vendors on main street. It hurt the food vendors too. As a non profit rep, I thought it was handled badly. I think you may be right to an extent, about Bubbas actually helping the crowd downtown - I know the atmosphere out there is not for everyone. If the food court was just for the food vendors, I think the booth selling leather goods should not have been there. A little more thought needs to be put into helping the locals also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:08 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Incase you hadn't noticed, there are very few non-profit organizations in SARA park any more. In the past, non-profits were not charged to set up in the park and were asked to make a donation.

Now MDA charges a flat fee of $400.00 to set up there regardless of being a non-profit. That has caused most of the local organizations to either go down town or stop having food stands alltogther. They also regulate what you sell in the line of beverages. Pepsi is a major sponsor and they are required to purchase soda and water from them. At $18.00 a case for water most of them don't make a lot unless they sell for $2.00 a bottle which pushes the price of the product up. Especialy when water sells for less than half that price at the store. I wonder how much of that $18.00 goes to MDA?

I am not sure, but I thought the city also charges unless they are on private property. That may affect many of them and be a reason why they are no longer in operation. Most of the private property that is available is already rented to one of the other venders who can afford to pay a lot more that a church group or other organization.

<small>[ September 18, 2007, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Old Scout ]</small>

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:07 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I do have one more observation....your downtown is missing something....

A PLACE THAT SERVES BREAKFAST!!!!!!

If anybody was downtown Saturday or Sunday morning, there were MANY bikers who were walking from bar to bar trying to find a close place that served breakfast....none did. OK, one bar had biscuits and gravy, or some stuffed french toast, but these came out of bags and were not good at all. We ate there....

Anyway, what ever happened to the small town diners that used to be all over the place in small rural towns???? There is ONE place to eat on Main St., and they weren't smart enough to be open to serve breakfast those 2 days.

Oh well....if it were my business, I sure would have planned to be open early and serving. Many people simply got on their bikes and headed North to eat....too bad....

Again, just my observations....

FLTRider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:24 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
You missed it. There was an all you can eat pancake breakfast for $5.00 served at the arena at SARA park from 8:00 to 10:30. I tried it and it was a good meal.

Seize the Day !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:58 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

just for a non profit to have a food booth in town (which got moved off the street & more hidden) we had to pay $215.00 for the weekend. I think they should have left the vendors where they were. It cut down on profits that most of the booths could make.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:43 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Wow, once again the doomsayers and Bubba haters. Like the Old Scout says: Give me a brake. First off the vendors downtown and at Sara Park are paying around $400 per space. At Bubba's they are $150. Where would you set up given the fact that every one scours the whole area and you ain't missing a thing being set up in any of the places. The crowd at Bubba's is not intimidating at all, what are you afraid of? Do you think Bubba wants bad press? He wants a successful event each year so he has success the following year. He's not here today and gone tomorrow. He lives here year round. He doesn't want to have votes against his efforts for the following year. He is playing honest baseball with the community. Secondly, as far as moving the ride out to Nokomis and abandoning the downtown, one more give me a brake. Go to Sturgis or Daytona Bike Week where everything is spread out all over the place. How would it be to have the 40,000 people on main street all in the same hour. Good thing everyone is spread around. You know some people complain when it's cold outside, and the same person complains when it's hot outside. Catch my meaning? Do you get my drift?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:12 pm 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Tie to Tomahawk: live here
Here some interesting facts about Bubba’s Big Party.

Bubba leases the Nokomis Community Park from the township to have the event on town property. Bubba does not control the park use and cannot control other park activities. This is a public park. Bubba is a private for profit enterprise.

The vendor spots are the property of the Township of Nokomis. Bubba is charging rent for the use of the taxpayer’s property. Nokomis Community Park is regulated under state statue (NR50) because this park was developed with state stewardship funds. The park must remain open to the public for outdoor recreation per statue. Last summer, the Chairman of the Township of Nokomis, Gary Baier received a letter from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources stating this fact.

I use this park for outdoor recreation often and have been using it for years. Just before and after the event I was using the park for my athletic training activities. I was approached by a town official and told I could not use the park for my activities anymore. This person threaten to have me arrested if I continued and even called my home days later making the same threat. Maybe, Bubba did not wanted me there and complained about it. I asked this town official if there were any laws, ordinances or posting to prohibit my activity, he stated that there were not. I realize this was just bluster…. and possible harassment by a government official.

Maybe, Bubba’s money talks when it comes to the Township of Nokomis and they don't care about doing the RIGHT THING !