No free lunch

Letters to the Editor from the Tomahawk Leader.
Tomahawk Leader
Administrator
Administrator

No free lunch

Postby Tomahawk Leader » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:10 pm

A letter in the Feb. 26 Tomahawk Leader:

Dear Editor:

I would like to congratulate the residential property taxpayers of the City of Tomahawk on their contribution to the remodeling of the real estate in the downtown area. Hang on to your wallets taxpayers for the city fathers are not done with us yet. This project will grow. Over the last 30 years, about once a decade, there’s been a taxpayer paid proposal or study done on the remodeling of those store fronts. When it came time for the downtown property owners to invest their own money, in their own property, they didn’t. It apparently wasn’t a profitable investment for those business owners. One must ask the question “Why then, is it a good investment for the rest of us?” The standard reply will be “Well heck, it’s State of Wisconsin money.” That’s how we ended up with a $100,000 gas station for the none existent traffic at the Tomahawk Regional Airport. I really tire of hearing “It's State money” or “It’s Federal money.” It’s our money. It’s my money. “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.”
Dave Ruten
Tomahawk

Return to “Letters to the Editor”