National Geographic

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
Dave
Contributor
Contributor

National Geographic

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Tomahawk was mentioned in the December issue of National Geographic in an article dealing with green methods of disposing of used Xmas trees. PCA was mentioned as having a program using the old trees to fire boilers, generating power. Tomahawk makes national news at last...am I the only one who saw the article?

logic1
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family

Re: National Geographic

Postby logic1 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:59 pm

do you by any chance have a link to it or copy of the story? What issue.

Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:04 am

Sorry. It appeared in page 22 of the December issue in a section entitled "Conservation" dealing with what to do with old Xmas trees. The article is not very large, but the mention of a small place like Tomahawk in such a publication is significant. The entire text of the part of the article dealing with Tomahawk reads, "FUEL SOURCE: In the small town of Tomahawk, Wisconsin, Packaging Corporation of America does its part to keep trees out of the landfill by burning about 500 a year. The steam powers the paper mill for ten minutes."

trouble
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

Postby trouble » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:10 pm

well its not national geographic, but theres a very popular tv show on the cartoon networks "adult swim" called "metalocalypse", where the drummer ("pickles the drummer") from a fictional death metal band comes from tomahawk, wisconsin.

on TOP of the cartoon NATIONALLY saying one of their characters is from my hometown, if anyone would remember back to the movie "without a paddle" starring seth green and some other famous people. jay legget, from tomahawk wisconsin, is one of the creators.

all sources may be checked at wikipedia.org by typing "tomahawk, wisconsin" in the search tab.

*pickles the drummer is mentioned after the army medal of honor winner*

Catfish
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Postby Catfish » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Ha Ha , discarding Christmas Trees reminds me of an article I read in the paper years ago. This guy in Michigan couldn't stand his neighbor down the block and had an on going feud with him. He goes into the newspaper office and pays cash for a classified ad and they don't ask for his identification, no address, no phone number. They must have assumed it was his address in the ad. It read, " Wanted--cash paid for your discarded Christmas Tree. Any size, shape or condition. No Phone calls. Bring them to 2305 Spruce Street day or Night." This guy had disgruntled people on his porch day and night for two weeks. Gee, I wonder if the "Leader" asks ID when you buy a classified?

MarianaTitus
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: spent time there - father owned business

Postby MarianaTitus » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:27 am

Hi - no, I did not know about the article in National Geographic but I will try to see if I can get a back issue. I really appreciate you letting us know! Salud, Mariana Titus

Nimble
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Work

Postby Nimble » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Seems to me the whole problem could be circumvented by just not using trees.
"Know ye not why We created you all from the same dust? That no one should exalt himself over the other." -Baha'u'llah

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”