Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: spent time there - father owned business
Question: Does Anyone know the deadline for sending family history regarding the book being put together for the 60th anniversary of Tomahawk? Also, please send me address and email where I send info. Thank you. Mariana Titus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

I think that you will find that Tomahawk is way older than 60 years old. Off the top of my head I belive it was founded in 1887 by the Bradley Co. Some history can found the Tomahawk Pioneer Web Site http://tomahawkpioneers.50megs.com/ I know of a book that was written in 1924 that has a lot of the town's history. Anybody know of a book currently being written?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
The Historical Society has a book that is available at Cover to Cover books called "Boom Town" It just came out in the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:07 pm 

The Tomahawk Historical Society is currently developing the book "Memories of Earlier Settlers."
Also, local author Charles Stats is currently writing a book on William H. Bradley and his development of Tomahawk, the MT&W railroad and the industries and town it served.
I think you're most likely looking for the Historical Society, which can be reached by contacting Dixie at azdz@charter.net.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:23 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.
I'm guessing that Mariana is thinking of the Nokomis township. Those folks are celebrating the town's 60th anniversary.

When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:25 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, thank yall - I believe it's the History of Nokomis County that Beth mentioned to me regarding a book ..my dad did homestead in 1920 and I did leave word for a particular woman to call me but she hasn't yet. I do plan to write my own book which will be mostly photographs around my dad's garage at 51 and County K. I inherited all the negatives and they really do tell a beautiful story. I am also lucky to have many letters written during those early days - my focus is primarily 1920 - 1940 era. Thanks everyone for your posts. I am enjoying this very much. Salud.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Nokomis resident
Mariana, check your PMs! I messaged you on this!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Donna - thanks so much for your P.M. I tried to reply back sending you a personal message but it apparently did not go through - Margaret Beal did contact me and as already received the sent material. I am honored that my father, Elmer H. Titus, will be part of the 60th anniversary book. Thanks everyone who replied as well. Salud, Mariana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:55 am 
Beginner
Beginner

By the way, I'm thinking of flying up and renting a car and attending the anniversary in August and staying about ten days in the Tomahawk area. I'm looking for a cabin or an inexpensive motel - can anyone recommend one - thanks. Salud, Mariana