Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Iraq War vigil
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Letter in the March 11, 2008, Tomahawk Leader

To The Editor:

On Wednesday, March 19, two days before Good Friday, there will be a vigil in front of the Lincoln County Courthouse sponsored by the Peace Study Group of Merrill and the North Central Friends Worship Group. We invite the public to join us – come anytime between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Join us, for whatever your reasons are, stand with us as a statement against this war.

March 19 marks the fifth anniversary of our country’s invasion of the sovereign of Iraq. We mourn this day. We mourn the many lives and dreams destroyed on both sides, and we mourn that this tragedy is still claiming lives and dreams with no end in sight.
For more information call Susanna or Paul at 536-5889.

Susanna M. Juon-Gilk for the Peace Study Group of Merrill
Judy Weaver for the North Central WI Friends
Merrill

Post subject: Re: Iraq War vigil
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A related letter in the March 11 Tomahawk Leader:

Marches against Iraq War

To The Editor:

March 19, 2008, is the fifth anniversary of the U.S. invasion of Iraq based on misinformation, failed policy, corrupt war profiteering and the violation of international treaties. The war is an embarrassment to the republic for which we stand and an abuse of our dedicated and courageous military forces.

From March 13-16 U.S. veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will descend on Washington to testify about war crimes they committed or personally witnessed in those countries.
March 18 at 5 p.m. folks will Sound the Alarm at Union Station in Washington, D.C. … We will freeze for five minutes for each of the five years of war. When we move again, we will step forward using our voices in a call to the people to rise up – end the war....
March 19 in Washington, D.C., demonstrations will begin with a public assembly at 7:30 a.m. in McPherson Square (15th and K Streets) ... At 8 a.m. some groups will blockade the IRS, others will shut down war profiteers in the K Street corridor, while the grannies will knit outside the recruiters office! … The March of the Dead will begin in Arlington Cemetery and process through downtown. At 9 a.m. the Veterans March for Peace will begin with several stops, culminating with actions near the White House and Veterans Administration. At noon, students will dance in the streets saying Funk the War and exposing war profiteers, recruiters and media along the way, while others call for No War, No Warming – end this war for oil. There will also be a demonstration of water boarding outside the White House in the mid-afternoon. …
At 5 o’clock we will gather at the Reflecting Pool on the west side of the Capitol and march with pots and pans in a cacophony of resistance to the Democratic National Committee Headquarters. Here we will make it clear that we hold them accountable for the death, destruction and lies, and that we will we will continue to take action and intervene in their business until our call for peace is honored and all of our troops come home.

On March 19 there are war protests scheduled in 245 other locations around the U.S.

For those of us in the Northwoods that do not plan to demonstrate in Washington, D.C., or elsewhere, the Northwood Peace Coalition invites friends and neighbors to join us at Torpy Park in Minocqua at 11:50 a.m. Wednesday, March 19 to march peacefully, without blocking traffic (with the necessary official approvals, if possible) through Minocqua to across the 51 bridge over Lake Minocqua with signs and puppets and songs that folks may care to bring. We welcome veterans who know first-hand what many of us can only imagine in horror.

We thank the town of Minocqua and our beloved country for assuring the opportunity for peaceful and law-biding protest of policies that we believe it is our patriotic duty to protest most fervently.

Jerry Woolpy
For the Northwoods Peace Coalition
Minocqua

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:55 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
And what tree did this nut case fall out of ? ? ? ? :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:44 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I've seen other local versions of this group "protesting" all 6-8 of them on a street corner. Left over 70's hippieish types. Possibly still partaking of the herb.
Yup, I'm sure that their protest in Minocqua will draw all sorts of media attention, all the way from Rhinelander.
My question is, if so passionate why only in Minocqua, why not making the trip to DC?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Work
Actually they have protested at other locations and I think this group has been to Washington, D.C. (for what that is worth).

After 5 years at $12 Billion/month someone should at least explain why we are in Iraq. Bush has not done so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:23 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Lived in Tomahawk -- still pay Taxes in Lincoln County and TSD.
"While I disagree most vehemently what you say; I will defend, unto death, your right to say it."

Voltaire..

*** The opinions expressed herein are uniquely MY OWN and should not be construed as an endorsement of any sort by my employers or of any professional associations to which I hold membership. I can dig myself into holes just fine without their help, thank you very much***

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:46 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
" We welcome veterans who know first-hand what many of us can only imagine in horror."

Have any of the folks trashing the efforts of our troops ever asked any of them about the good things that are occurring in Iraq because of the troop presence? Health care, schools reopening, Women's rights established, Iraqis turning in terrorist hide outs in their neighborhoods because they now feel safe enough to do so.