Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why On Earth?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:08 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I commend the Tomahawk Leader for NOT doing what the Wausau Daily Herald has done! Why on EARTH would you publish the name and age of a witness to a murder? I don't get it, I just don't get it.

I also don't understand why her parents would approve of her being shown on TV news across the state.

My sincerest condolences go out to the family of the victim of this horrendous crime.

Post subject: Re: Why On Earth?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:51 am 
Occasional Poster
Occasional Poster

I hope this paper does not put pictures in the paper of that blood in the snow bank.. it was bad enough to see bloody hand prints less than a year ago on the front page..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:42 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: lived most my life in Tomahawk
I am saddened by this awful crime. And angered also by the person who took this young mother's life. We should put bad or good reporting aside and perhaps think of Rochelle's family and all that they have been thru and what is yet to come. I did not know her. My son graduated with her in 2001. It is a shame that people have resorted to violence to resolve their problems. Has this person realized what they have done? I hope they can catch whoever did this so that Rochelle can rest in peace. As well as her family and friends.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:50 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Called it home for many years.
I was disappointed that the Leader sensationalized this crime with full second page color photos, what was on the cover was enough.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: Family / Friends
This is just sad. I hope they find who did this soon.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: visited for the past 30+ years, moved to the northwoods 13 years ago
A lot of good a "fake" surveillance camera in the store does, a real one could have solved this case right away. All stores should have cameras in them.

This is so heartbreaking. My thoughts are with her family and her little girl. Be strong for her.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

"fake" surveillance camera??????? you've got to be kidding me! Is this true?

You would think they would have installed REAL ones after the first burglary. Maybe now after two burglaries and a murder they will invest in the real thing..........one can only hope.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:13 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
aphephilia wrote:
I also don't understand why her parents would approve of her being shown on TV news across the state.

If common sense were a requirement for parenthood there'd be a lot fewer parents around. A responsible parent whose child may be a witness in a criminal case protects the child and doesn't allow the media to exploit them.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

Post subject: Im sorry!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Tie to Tomahawk: I graduated from Tomahawk High School, I now live in CA now!!
I just wanted to say I am sorry again for the Anderson family. Having known them personally only makes this matter even more heart braking.

I havent been back to Tomahawk since I moved after graduation. It is amazing that this small town has turn into this. It is very sad.

No cameras, that is sad, I used to work at Linda and Charlies station and they had camera's. I hope more station will do so now after this!!

I feel even more sad for the daughter because now she wont have a mother. My sister is the same age as Rochelle and has a 14 month old and a 5 year old. I can't imagine them not having her.

Amy Klotsch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:12 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

What does the Mayor have to say to what is happening in Tomahawk? Drug bust in in the high school, 2 killings in one year. Has the mayor said anything about what is going on in Tomahawk?

Last edited by Lyle W on Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:07 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

OK, Lyle W yup, blame the mayor! My guess is that there aren't any drugs in Medford High School, nor has there ever been any killings in Medford or Taylor County for that matter. Oh, but there has, 2 unsolved in Rib Lake. My guess is that Mayor Lee sent a proclamation out to all criminal types to come to Tomahawk to corrupt the morals of the young and to kill convienence store clerks, that would be my guess as to why he's leaving the answering up to the police. My question to you is, does the mayor of Medford do the talking for the police anytime there is a POLICE investigation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:38 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Deb Richardson I never said Medford was perfect. I wrote that wrong last night. And am sorry if I upset anyone. I already edit what I wrote. What I was tring to do was ask if the mayor of tomahawk has spoken about what is happening in tomahawk. Again am sorry if I upset anyone on this forum. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:05 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
My bigger question is whether something is changing in Tomahawk or if it's just strange timing... The drugs at the school don't surprise me a bit and anyone in Tomahawk that was caught off guard by that has been in a dream world. On the other hand, I never would have believed there would be two different murders in one year in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:34 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Lyle W, I appreciate your PM, by changing the content of your post you make my post or any other that may have followed to not make much sense, (not that many of mine do). A simple I'm sorry or explanation is fine.

Kerry, I believe there is something changing in Tomahawk, I have a theory, but I'm not quite sure how to post it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:55 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Resident 1980 - 1989, retired here 5/2012
Deb Richardson wrote:
Lyle W, I appreciate your PM, by changing the content of your post you make my post or any other that may have followed to not make much sense,

The opening post in this thread has to do with the Wausau news media providing the name of a witness as well as wondering why parents would allow their minor child to be on television. Only 1 or 2 of the replies stick to the topic, the other replies don't make any sense as they are so totally off the topic. Time for another topic to discuss the other issues raised.

More women die of lung cancer than breast cancer. If you smoke, quit. If you don't, don't start.

Friends never lets friends drive drunk.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:17 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
Looks to me like they all deal with the same basic topic.

How much can you say about one newspaper article ? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Nurse Nell, always the level headed one.

Old Scout, always making a good point too.

What a fun little forum we have here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
I do have to say I don't understand the few complaints we've gotten about "sensationalizing" this with the pictures. I'd read Deb's complaint before I received my newspaper so I wasn't really sure what she was talking about. After looking at it I was actually comforted to see pictures about the level of police response.

My most recent interaction with a Lincoln County Deputy was after stopping to help out at a single car accident a few years back. The deputy arrived, lit up a cigarette and started asking me if I thought the driver was drunk. To be honest I was much more worried about helping stop the bleeding from the passenger's head than to do the cop's job and ask the driver to walk down a straight line!

I felt the pictures presented a good overview of the quality of the police response and how everything was handled. I think I was even told that the family was happy with how we've handled it so far...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:15 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Nell,
Congrats on your retirement!

As I'm sure you remember, sticking to the main topic of a thread is a rare occurence for this board.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:29 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Kerry, I agree that it is comforting to know that the police are doing the most that can be done to gather the necessary information to solve this or any crime. I don't feel that a full page of color photos is needed to report this to the public. What I've found appealing about the Leader is the lack of sensationalizing in it's reporting. Just basic, tell the facts reporting, in homey small town way. Also Kerry, I wasn't complaining as much as I was expressing my disappointment.

Some may think I need to get a life but I live for Tuesday and receiving my copy of the Leader in the mail. The one constant link I have to Tomahawk.

BTW, I have a guess as to who the deputy might have been with whom you had the interaction. Let's just say maybe a bit of a Barney Fife mentality!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
This is the second homicide within the city limits in less than a year. Tracy Maurer, 42, was found stabbed to death in her Tomahawk apartment April 6, 2007. Her accused killer, Seth Louis, 26, Rhinelander, remains in jail on a $500,000 cash bond awaiting a trial.

My question is, why does every article in the leader about the latest homicide have to end with this reference to the previous one. That is old news and has been in the leader so often I have it memorized. I can't believe that it has anything to do with this latest crime so why the reference to it ?

Can you imagine the Milwaukee papers refering back to all the other murders in the city eveytime another one happens. It would fill most of the paper.

It is time to let that one rest and just put the news about this one in by its self.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
But Scout, this sort of thing isn't supposed to happen in Happy Valley USA! That means the "recent" events get scrolled.

People forget that just because an area is a vacation haven, that doesn't mean that some of the local residents may have violent tendencies.