60th Anniversary of Tomahawk

Forum for discussions about Tomahawk and the Northwoods.
MarianaTitus
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: spent time there - father owned business

60th Anniversary of Tomahawk

Postby MarianaTitus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:12 pm

Question: Does Anyone know the deadline for sending family history regarding the book being put together for the 60th anniversary of Tomahawk? Also, please send me address and email where I send info. Thank you. Mariana Titus

tooten
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 60th Anniversary of Tomahawk

Postby tooten » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:59 pm

I think that you will find that Tomahawk is way older than 60 years old. Off the top of my head I belive it was founded in 1887 by the Bradley Co. Some history can found the Tomahawk Pioneer Web Site http://tomahawkpioneers.50megs.com/ I know of a book that was written in 1924 that has a lot of the town's history. Anybody know of a book currently being written?

Old Scout
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk

Postby Old Scout » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:19 am

The Historical Society has a book that is available at Cover to Cover books called "Boom Town" It just came out in the last couple of years.
The National Institutes of Health has just released the results of a $200 million research study completed under a grant to Johns Hopkins.
The new study has found that women who carry a little extra weight live longer than the men who mention it.

mrbrowns

Postby mrbrowns » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:07 pm

The Tomahawk Historical Society is currently developing the book "Memories of Earlier Settlers."
Also, local author Charles Stats is currently writing a book on William H. Bradley and his development of Tomahawk, the MT&W railroad and the industries and town it served.
I think you're most likely looking for the Historical Society, which can be reached by contacting Dixie at azdz@charter.net.
Gone Fishin'

Brian
Contributor
Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: Fourth generation native.

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:23 pm

I'm guessing that Mariana is thinking of the Nokomis township. Those folks are celebrating the town's 60th anniversary.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

MarianaTitus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MarianaTitus » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:25 am

Yes, thank yall - I believe it's the History of Nokomis County that Beth mentioned to me regarding a book ..my dad did homestead in 1920 and I did leave word for a particular woman to call me but she hasn't yet. I do plan to write my own book which will be mostly photographs around my dad's garage at 51 and County K. I inherited all the negatives and they really do tell a beautiful story. I am also lucky to have many letters written during those early days - my focus is primarily 1920 - 1940 era. Thanks everyone for your posts. I am enjoying this very much. Salud.

StenoGirl
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: Nokomis resident

Postby StenoGirl » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:24 pm

Mariana, check your PMs! I messaged you on this!

MarianaTitus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MarianaTitus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:52 am

Donna - thanks so much for your P.M. I tried to reply back sending you a personal message but it apparently did not go through - Margaret Beal did contact me and as already received the sent material. I am honored that my father, Elmer H. Titus, will be part of the 60th anniversary book. Thanks everyone who replied as well. Salud, Mariana

MarianaTitus
Beginner
Beginner

Postby MarianaTitus » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:55 am

By the way, I'm thinking of flying up and renting a car and attending the anniversary in August and staying about ten days in the Tomahawk area. I'm looking for a cabin or an inexpensive motel - can anyone recommend one - thanks. Salud, Mariana

Return to “Tomahawk and the Northwoods”