Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Again reaching out …
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Letter to the Editor in the April 22 Tomahawk Leader

To the Editor:

Here I am again, Dee Kimmons, a resident of the city of Merrill for the past 15 years, with an update on our progress in arranging for a much needed transportation service in the evenings and on weekends when the Merrill-Go-Round and Geri Van are not available for those with physical disabilities needing a vehicle with a lift system.

Through the efforts of several community agencies, we now have a van with lift system available for those with special needs. For this donation, we are so grateful, and I want to personally thank all the involved parties. Not only for myself, but the elderly and others that have no means of transportation in the evenings and on weekends, this action is greatly appreciated by one and all.
We have a couple of agencies that have offered to help cover the cost of insurance and general upkeep on the van. However, this project is still a ways from up and going. I am again reaching out to hopefully touch your hearts so this project can go forward to meet these needs. We are looking for some donations to cover stipends for the drivers, as well as fuel costs. It is assumed that riders will pay a fee to cover some of these expenses, but will not be expected to cover the full amount.

I will be more than willing to help with scheduling once the van is up and running. It is becoming quite clear to me that this dream of mine will, without a doubt, become a reality. I have the residents and agencies of Lincoln County to thank for that and am doing so from the bottom of my heart.

Again I want to note that the Geri Van and Merrill-Go-Round services are very much appreciated. This additional transportation service will help fill some gaps in service.

If you or your organization would like to donate toward this project, please phone me at 539-8343 so that I can then let the community agencies know of your willingness to help and the agencies can make arrangements for you to send funds to an account set up for this project.

Thank you.
Sincerely
Dee Kimmons
Merrill