Teaching Catch & Release

M Kanaval
Beginner
Beginner
Tie to Tomahawk: Resident

Teaching Catch & Release

Postby M Kanaval » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:22 am

I'm new to the boards & recently a part time resident of Tomahawk.

I have been fishing the Tomahawk area lakes & rivers for over 15 years. When I first started fishing Mohawksin I targeted Smallies & knew that it was good for the recource to release these fish back into the water for others to enjoy.

As time went on I discovered what a fantastic Muskie fishery this area is & ever since spend most of my time fishing for them. I have caught nearing a hundred muskies & 1 that went 50" x 25.5" I figured it went around pounds by how heavy she was. All were released by me & anyone I have fished with.

Since my love for the area continues to grow, I tend to read as many fishing reports as possible. Only to see more often than not anglers keeping trophy sportfish. I cannot understand this at all?

It seems on the surface & from the limited recources I have access to, that the local anglers are more likely to keep a trophy than anyone else. Please don't think I'm bashing the locals! There is not one person I have met in the area I wouldn't invite to my cabin for a BBQ & some beers!

What can be done to educate ALL anglers on the importance of catch & release?

I do not see anything to support this at any of the locat bait shops or better yet at the boat ramps. A simple sign could do wonders.

I know that Aquatic Arts removed the freezer of death & now will only do a replicas. This is the kind of effort that will secure this wonderful fishery for a very long time.

I will put a sign by our dock that says support Catch & Release with a picture of kids fishng. My boys will help make it & at the same time understand why it's important.

Be safe & good luck.

jayem
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Teaching Catch & Release

Postby jayem » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:49 pm

Well said, Mike. I hope we all can continue to learn and educate others on the importance of proper handling and encourage "catch and release" of this fragile fishery we call MUSKIES!

Jeff Boettcher
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor
Tie to Tomahawk: vacation

Re: Teaching Catch & Release

Postby Jeff Boettcher » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:52 pm

Catch & release is a fine lifestyle for all fisherman to pursue in certain circumstances (Smallies, Muskies, & maybe Northerns?).

Let's not forget how extraordinarily tasty a batch of bluegills, walleyes, perch, etc. are coming straight from the lake & into the fry pan can be! Otherwise why bother fishing?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Return to “Fishing With Jed”