Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question hits in gut
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the June 17 Tomahawk Leader:

To The Editor:

Food or fuel? Drive or eat?

That question sure hits me in the gut. You mean I have to decide whether I want to drive or eat? Who came up with that silly and unfounded idea. Have you ever witnessed an American citizen starve to death or our economy come to a grinding halt due to lack of fuel? I do have that strange thought in the back of my mind, could we live in the dark, starve and freeze to death?

We have the most advanced and prolific agricultural industry in the world. Just because we in America take three squares a day with a high calorie diet and the resulting obesity, heart disease and diabetes for granted, why should be blame the American farmer and the production of alcohol from corn?

I am just old enough to remember when 65 bushels of corn per acre was an outstanding crop in Illinois. Bragging rights for soy beans were 30-plus bushels per acre. The American Farm Bureau is projecting 300 bushels of corn per acre by the year 2020. Soy bean yields in the southern U.S. have shown dramatic increases. Sure seems to me that American agriculture is on the leading edge of feeding the world.

The world population is going up and will double in the next 50 years. We can help, but can we really expect to feed the world forever? It sure is sad to know that food production in most Second and Third World countries is not keeping up with their population growth. Thank goodness we have a caring and giving community so that people don’t go hungry through our emergency and regular food pantries and outstanding community support.

Let’s have some faith and confidence in the American farmer to feed us. Let’s also put away the “pity pot” and stand up for our gluttonous use of the world’s energy supplies. We are 5 percent of the world’s population and consume 25 percent of the world’s energy. It is time to grow up and become part of the solution.
In Wisconsin! Where is our wind energy? Where is our bio fuels and wood alcohol production/ Where are our lower speed limits? Where is our statewide energy conservation program? Where is the tax relief in towns, cities and countries to enable new segments of energy technology to call Tomahawk home? Where are our state politicians? Do they even care?

As the old folks say, “Time are a changing.” Are we going to be part of the solution or part of the problem? It will be very tough to pay for high priced fuel, but would you rather it come from the good old U.S.A. or some foreign country where they detest our innards? What a thrill if we have the strength, courage and foresight to solve our own problems and quit bickering.

Garfield the Cat says, “The truth will set you free, but first you will hurt” and hurt and hurt.

See you at the pump, supermarket and pain clinic.

Tom Mooney
Tomahawk

Post subject: Re: Question hits in gut
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
So, I assume you've signed up for NatureWise through WPS? You specifically mention renewable energy, here's your chance.

For those that don't know, NatureWise (and programs like it at other utilities) allow you to pay slightly more for a guarantee that your power usage will be offset by renewable sources. I've been on programs like this for about 3 years now with other utilities (I live out of the area) and I think it costs me about $5-$10 a month. You get a nice little packet every so often that tells you where the power is coming from, etc.

Take a look at http://www.wisconsinpublicservice.com/news/naturewise.aspx if you really want to talk about making a difference in our electricity generation, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:15 am 
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to send me 5 to 10 dollars each month, I'll send you a packet that shows anything you want. :lol:

Reminds me of a line from "Tommy Boy," something about a guaruntee....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

If your packet is monitored by the government and has as many rules and regulations ensuring that you did the stuff in the packet and that it has the effect I'm paying for then let me know what your packet is.

The various green power programs are a good thing. I can say 100% of my home electricity usage was offset by renewable energy production. Can you?

If more people in the state signed up the power companies would have no choice but to convert to renewable facilities. Why do the politicians need to do it all when you can have the same effect by making a personal choice? Not to mention if Madison or Washington do it the charge would probably be $30-40 a month so they can take their cut too. When is the last time you saw the government run an efficient program?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:41 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Easy Turbo! The benefits of recycling, green energy and waste reduction are pretty obvious. I definately don't need to be sold on it. However, having to pay extra to force companies to do the right thing seems a little backwards.

Besides,

Kerry Tobin wrote:
If your packet is monitored by the government and has as many rules and regulations ensuring that you did the stuff in the packet and that it has the effect I'm paying for then let me know what your packet is.

Is that anything like the monitoring of the lending industry performed by the government? Just sayin'... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Switching to more green options costs the companies more money (if it was cheaper we wouldn't have a problem). I don't expect anyone to give me anything for free and I've chosen to pay what I consider a reasonable rate to do "the right thing".

Definitely agree on the monitoring thing though...