Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TAFFY made it possible
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter in the July 1, 2008, Tomahawk Leader:

To The Editor:

“Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work – and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't.”_
-Lucille Ball

Hard work, there is something to say about those that are willing to work hard; setting goals and working to achieve them. Not just reaching them, but working hard to get there. I recently achieved a fairly important goal, graduating college. College for me was fabulous. I cannot believe how much I learned and how much I matured in a short four years that, looking back, flew by.
Graduating high school and getting thrown into the real world was a shock. College demanded a great deal from me. There are no ivy-covered walls separating the university from the world. Challenges faced everyday by those out in the real world are also faced by college students; one in particular being financial challenges. Not only do students find themselves looking at the calendar to see the 100 pages to read by tomorrow, the 15-page paper due Friday, and the three finals next week, but there is also the looming feeling of, “How am I going to pay for this?” Unfortunately, this puts a damper on education.

Here is where opportunity set in for me. I had the opportunity to apply for a grant from the Tomahawk Area Foundation for Youth (TAFFY). Their generosity made my college career significantly less stressful. TAFFY gives those students from Tomahawk who are willing to work hard to receive an education a chance to do so by thoroughly lessening the financial burdens.

I do not think that the citizens of Tomahawk realize the effect that the TAFFY Foundation has on the city and surrounding area. This allows students the opportunity to achieve a degree and, in turn, contribute to society, resulting in a better community. For me, this would not have been possible without the assistance I received from TAFFY. TAFFY made it possible for me to focus on my education and not on, “How many hours can I work this week?
Because of the generosity of the foundation, work came second and a good education that would not only benefit me, but also help others was more easily obtainable. Their kindness has truly made a difference.

It is important the community of Tomahawk realize the overwhelming amount of generosity each and every member of TAFFY possesses. They are there to not only help students, but help the community. For this, I express my sincere appreciation and I hope that there is a new sense of gratitude from the community.

Respectfully,
Natasha Myre
Eau Claire