Calendar
Tomahawk Leader Internet Edition - Newspaper in Tomahawk Wisconsin Photo Album
Photo
Album
Map
Map of
Tomahawk, WI
Grey Bar
The Tomahawk Leader is a state and national prize-winning weekly newspaper serving the scenic Northwoods area in and around Tomahawk, WI.

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brett Favre return?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:41 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: born in Tomahawk - family
I think Favre is one of the greatest QB's to play the game - do I think he should come back -----no. He made the decision to retire & it was a touching episode that played out. He decided to turn the reins over & the team has made plans to move on. Rodgers is slated as the starter & plans are going. I think the return of Favre is too much to think about. If he does return will the fans & the public have to go thru this "retirement" again next season? or the next season? How long can prospects stay in the hunt when they will get turned away. I think it would be a mistake. Like I said I think Favre is the best but his time is done. He needs to let the team move on.

Post subject: Re: Brett Favre return?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:30 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
I think that Logic1's logic is very logical. I agree with him 100%. Favre should not come back...and not even entertain the thought. If Favre came back it would just put a smudge on an otherwise great career. It would cause all sorts of problems and discourse among fans and the team. Why can't these guys figure that out for themselves.

We love you Brett but please don't do this to us. Pleeeeeze !!!!! Pretty please !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Past Resident
I agree. I don't like the game that most celebs play with their retirement. But they do it, primarily for one reason... Huge money! For that kind of money he may not care much about smudges. He don't seem to care much about anything, pretty laid back.

I don't think the average fan would agree however. The reason the management goes for these back and forth retirements is because it pays off at the box office.

Another thought is that they are not sure they have a suitable replacement that is ready to step in yet. I don't know if that is the case or not, but it is out there.

If he really wanted to make a ton of money though, he should shop is talents to the highest bidder in some organization that would pay a fortune to see him play on their team. But I don't think that will happen. Not sure about contract complications and such. But Farve don't seem like the type of guy that would do that. Is he?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Tie to Tomahawk: I grew up there & family
Spambot: No
Anyone else think Brett is doing just about the dumbest thing he possibly could right now? They just asked for his unconditional release so he can go play anywhere. The guy could run for governor of the state right now and win without spending a dime based on his legacy. If he goes and plays for someone like the Bears or the Vikings his name would be mud in the state, despite everything he's done in the past...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Grew up in Tomahawk in the 50s and early 60s, left after High School in '64
Who really knows, or understands, what goes on inside the head of a professional football player...the head that may have had too many neck snapping 'adjustments' made over too many years while his brain was acting the role of a loose pea inside his skull and 'protective' helmet. :?

I can't think of any athlete who made a happy and successful return to playing after retiring...in any sport. When they did come back it just wasn't the same and I always lost some respect for them and ended up feeling a little sorry for them.

Brett....you're leaving at the perfect time. You're our hero. Open a restaurant or something......coach at your local high school, do some fishing.

But don't be one of those sorry guys who wants to put in just one more year...

--------------------
Here's his request to be released:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/f ... ackers.ap/

Last edited by kmartell on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I think it's even worse that he's now asking to be released since the news came out that he already asked to come back once, they welcomed him back, then he changed his mind and decided he didn't want to play... The Pack even chartered a plain to make it official, Brett changed his mind two days before the meeting...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: vacation
Let's give Aaron Rodgers support AND patience. Don't forget the Favre played like a knucklehead and came very close to losing his job to Mark Brunell the first year that he started.

As for Favre, he shouldn't be suprised that the team is less than thrilled about his latest flip-flop. He's held the Packers hostage the past three preseasons with his waffling about wanting to return.
Favre is their past, not their future. The new, young receivers & backs need to grow with the Packer QB of the future. (Hopefully that's Rodgers or Brohm.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:40 am 
Contributor
Contributor

I agree that Brett is doing the dumbest thing he could do. Shame on him for even doing this - this will put a black eye on his career even after all the goiod he has done. Step away & let things move on - it was a wonderful run with him but, it is time to look ahead - give Rodgers the chance he deserves -this was a huge mistake by Brett to think that he could return after his huge public retirement & outpouring of emotion - it is a shame that this is even happening.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:29 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Logic1...very well put !!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:59 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I sure had that wrong, never figured Farve would even consider playing for another team. But I bet he was probably shocked by the response of the managements being less then thrilled with his "unretiring".

They are smart though in not giving him his unconditional release. Why give away all that money and or possible trade?

Bottom line though, he will be a huge box office draw no matter where he plays. But I'd be real surprised if he has a great year. No team is going to build an offense around him the way Greenbay. And even if they wanted to, its a bit too late in his career for that.

In the bigger scheme of things history will be very kind to Farve. He will go down as one of the all time greats no matter how much he mucks up the next year or two. Long term no one will remember this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:38 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Have the fans & press who are yelling for Favre's return forgotten the images of Favre in the NFC Championship game stuffing handwarmers into the ski mask he was wearing under his helmet?
He looked old, cold, and beaten down by the weather conditions that were supposed to be the Packers' home field advantage.
The weather didn't seem to affect the young pup Eli Manning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:16 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

So now it REALLY begins !!!!

We are now ankle deep, and sinking, in Lutefisk with the Favre flippity flop (BTW how can anyone eat something with a name like Lutefisk...the name sounds like something that comes out in a sneeze....like the sneeze takes place and the guy says "opp, sorry, looks like I got some Lutefisk on your shirt! Here, let me burn it off for you. " But I digress and I have a feeling I may have to eat these words later on...).

Fox News just reported that the Vikings are now being accused of 'tampering' with (recruiting and/or talking to) Favre before they were officially allowed to. Oh, you are such naughty boys!! Shame on you all!! :shock:

I predict this will get very ugly and provide us with lots of fodder, for many months, for some lively opining. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:56 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Tie to Tomahawk: Born, raised and live in Tomahawk
My impression of the situation. :D

Attachments:
Favre 2.jpg
Favre 2.jpg [ 73.77 KiB | Viewed 5536 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

This is blasphemy pure and simple and I'm not going to take it anymore !!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:01 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Now that's funny!

Thanks for the gins Old Scout! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:43 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

well - too bad the front office went back on their word & chose to have Favre & Rodgers compete for the starting job. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what is going to happen. So much for doing what is good for the WHOLE team in the present & the future - I guess the fans can just put up with the "retirement" flip/flop again at the end of this season - what a thing to look forward to. The Packers are the joke of the NFL now - how awesome!!! Too bad this was allowed to even happen. Sorry Rodgers. You should have been playing in the last couple years & had time to plan for the future - the fans reaction is mixed also - I guess time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Brett should have left on a highnote as a well respected quarter back. I'm guessing he probably has 100 million dollars, plus potential for endorsements bringing even more. If I had 100 million dollars, I wouldn't even pick up a screwdriver any more. My offspring and I would be set for life. Now at what age?, he wants to come back and play again. (For the love of the game) Now heaven forbid, the older set of bones gets hurt in his first couple of games and breaks his neck or crushes his knee cap and suffers for the rest of his life, wouldn't you think, "Why in the **** didn't I lay back with the millions and go fishing and hunting all over the world?" I think he's a sportsman? and further more, poor Rodgers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:04 pm 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Supposedly the Packer president Murphy called Favre's agent on Saturday morning asking Favre to come back to the Packers, but with no gaurantee of assuming the starter's postion. FAVRE REFUSED. Then he agreed to report on Sunday.

So Favre retired in March. Returned in March. Re-retired in March.
Applied for reinstatement in Aug. Re-retired on 8/2, re-applied on 8/3

Favre looked mentally defeated by the elements during the second half of last year's NFC Championship game. If he can use the tapes of that game to inspire himself to a better performance, then let the Favre/Rodgers competition begin!

If he is looking to duck into a dome like HHH in the winter and that's the real reason he wants to go to the Vikes, then good riddance. Eli Manning & Tom Coughlin "manned up" & dealt with weather that had Favre stuffing hand warmers in his ski mask.

I do think the Packers would be better THIS year with Favre playing, but the end is near. Favre fans need accept this as inevitable instead of picketing the Packer front office. Packer fans & Favre fans can be mutually exclusive entities.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:37 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Are you kidding me?

They traded Farve and basically got nothing!

"The Jets reportedly gave the Packers a third- or fourth-round draft pick that could escalate to a first-round pick depending on how well Favre and the Jets perform this season."

Some one made a post that the management was doing a lousy job dealing with this situation and should be fired. I had a tendency to think that that may have been a little harsh, but now I may agree.

The Jets stole Farve, even if they ultimately have to give up a first rounder. Can you imagine the attendance they will see even if he plays sporadically and plays lousy! Not only the home games, but they get % of the gate when they travel also.

Unless there is still unannounced monies involved in this trade, I think the Jets may be guilty of grand larceny!!

There is some suggestion that the Jets have a deal in place to trade Farve to the Vikings. But that may just be message board gossip.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Who cares about their attendance, will he make them better??? Honestly, I think Favre is the idiot here. He's gonna get killed playing on that team, what was their record again? I wish him the best but it's going to be a miracle if he plays much and doesn't get seriously hurt...

I had also heard the Packers planned for the Jets trying to trade to the Vikings. From what I've heard the Jets owe the Pack 3 first round picks if Favre ends up a Queen.

At least now we can get on with planning. Heck, I think Favre got a lot of credit that should have gone to the whole team anyway...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:13 am 
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Floyd,
Bull.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:33 am 
Contributor
Contributor

The press conference with Favre and the Jets looked very odd to me. :shock: Favre did not look like a guy that was just hired to quarterback one of the biggest football markets in the NFL. When he held up the Jets #4 jersy for the photo`s, he looked sorta bewildered and confused. :? Like ," What the **** did I just do"?? And , I don`t think the Jets organization was thrilled that most of the questions and answers had to do with The Green Bay Packers,and Favre saying, "I`ll always be a Green Bay Packer". :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter received by the Tomahawk Leader via email:

Power to the People?

Football fans throughout the world who observed the travesty at Lambeau Field this week may not realize that the Green Bay Packers, unique among NFL franchises, are owned by the people.

The confusion may come from the fact that Ted Thompson and company, like so many congressional representatives, demonstrated complete disregard for the people they were sworn to represent.

It is difficult to prevent elected officials or corporate employees from opposing the views of their constituents, but both should be held accountable for their performance come election time.

Susan Landgraf, Packer shareholder
Sandy, Utah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

A letter received by the Tomahawk Leader via email:

The Truth about What Happened to Brett Favre

Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and Mark Murphy have caused irreversible damage to the Green Bay Packers organization. I have been a Packers fan for 45 years. What they have done is disgraceful and would have been unimaginable by any devoted Packers fan prior to any of this actually happening.

They are talking out of both sides of their mouths. They say Favre can't go to the Vikings cause that will automatically make them the best team in the NFC North. Well, that being said, then won't having Favre play for the Packers make them the best team in the NFC North? They are speaking in circles and will not speak the truth as to why they are doing what they are doing.

The simple truth is that Ted, Mike, and Mark want to call the shots and are tired of Brett Favre getting all the glory and attention. They are not doing what is best for the team, they are doing what they believe is best for them and their image. Mike says "Brett is in a tough spot". Gee, I wonder who put him in that spot. How can Ted, Mike, and Mark think what they are doing is the right thing when most sports prognosticators, experts, ex-NFL players, and NFL Hall of Famers basically are shaking their heads and are stunned as to why this has happened.

I don't know how I can root for the Packers this year or maybe for years to follow because of what they have done. It has been a big part of my life being a Green Bay Packer fan and Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and Mark Murphy have ruined that experience for me from this point on. I can no longer feel the same enthusiasm and pride when watching the Green Bay Packers. And for what? Just because Ted, Mike, and Marks egos could not handle bringing back the best thing that has happened to the Green Bay Packer organization and all its fans in the last 30 years. Thanks a lot Ted, Mike, and Mark, I hope you’re happy; you have destroyed the integrity of the organization and taken away the pride and fun of being a Packer fan.

Tracy Godejohn
Minot, ND

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:07 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

[color=#400040]The simple truth is that Ted, Mike, and Mark want to call the shots and are tired of Brett Favre getting all the glory and attention. They are not doing what is best for the team, they are doing what they believe is best for them and their image. Mike says "Brett is in a tough spot". Gee, I wonder who put him in that spot. How can Ted, Mike, and Mark think what they are doing is the right thing when most sports prognosticators, experts, ex-NFL players, and NFL Hall of Famers basically are shaking their heads and are stunned as to why this has happened (posted on the message board) - letter to the Leader....[/color]
ARE YOU KIDDING! The one that put Brett in a tough spot is Brett himself - how long does the team & fans need to put up with all his drama - deal with it - Brett ruined his own image & let the team down in the process. GET OVER IT.